Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broombridge train station and ticket

• 19-04-2009 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

I just have a query,im not a regular train user but i will be using the train this evening and tomorrow for a trip between broombridge and howth via connolly and basically i've read the horror stories(mostly on boards):rolleyes::rolleyes: of people being fined 50 quid because of a broken ticket machine in their station or the ticket office was closed etc etc and as you may know broombridge consists of 2 platforms and nothing else,if there is a ticket inspector will he let me pay on board or when i get to howth do i just tell them that i got on at broombridge and there was no ticket machine or do they expect passengers to have a valid ticket before boarding regardless of the circumstances and slap anybody who doesnt have a ticket with a fine,
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ticket inspectors will let you pay on board. They HAVE to, as Broombridge is obviously permanently unmanned.

You may get a free ride out of it depending on whether Howth has automatic barriers or not / a person checking tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get on at Broombridge, if someone is checking / selling tickets on the train, pay them, if not then go to the desk in Connolly and ask for a Broombridge-Howth return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

But what if the OP is going to miss the connecting train to Howth from Connolly whilst walking the long distance to and from the ticket desk? Why should the OP have to wait for a later train (hypothetically) because IE will not provide facilities for him/her to buy a ticket at the starting point. The OP should not have to walk several hundred metres to and from a ticket ticket office at Connolly to get a ticket there. It would be a bit ridiculous to step off the ex-Maynooth train and potentially be right beside the connecting train to Howth. But the OP has to forgo that train and go on a half kilometre round trip to get a ticket and thus be delayed further. Fcuking ridiculous :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I went through this last year. I.E. policy is, you must have a ticket before you board the train. I have free travel and boarded a train in Gorey. Ticket office closed, waiting room, where the ticket machines are, closed so even if you wanted to pay you couldn't, commuter train so no conductor. Got to Connolly where I showed my travel pass only to be abused and humiliated before being condescendingly allowed through. I rang Customer Services the next day only to have the mantra trotted out over and over. You must have a ticket etc. but no plan B, no suggestion as to what you should do if you can't get one, just good , old fashioned "dem is the rules" claptrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Thats just billix!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

ok so i got the train to connolly transferred to a dart which was already approaching the platform so didnt get a ticket ,got to howth and the gate was open so i happily walked through and got a free train ride :D:D,then got the bus home ,but in future i'll just pay in connolly before i board another train as i was kinda nervous,does this mean that any fare dodger can use broombridge being unmanned as an excuse for not having a ticket if they get caught or the same goes to any station thats closed or the ticket machines are "broken"?because the staff in the train stations have no real way of knowing what station a person boarded at and may assume anybody without a valid ticket is chancing their arms at a free train ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect they can; but from threads on here it appears the majority of caught fare dodgers / "I was running too late to queue for a ticket" people don't appear to know its there to use as an excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't forget to go armed if you're getting the train from Broombridge! :D

Don't forget to go armed if you're getting the train from Broombridge! :D

Ha true that has got to be the most rundown station i've ever seen in my life i dont think theres a worse one anywhere in the country :D if there is godhelp thhe people that have to use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The last two times I went through Broombridge on the train.

Frist time , guys riding a motorbike up/down the platform
    Next time , guys drinking around a bonfire on the platform

Scary place !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ahh...Beirut...I mean...Broombridge Station.

I used to have to use it myself for a few months, a long while back.
    It was rough, but seemed oddly peaceful most of the time I used it.

However, you would sometimes get the occasional toe-rag using the platforms as a stunt track for his dirt-bike / underpowered moped. Usually ignoring irrelevant hazards, such as the people standing on the platform.

The only time it ever looked close to an ok station, was when they painted it up for the Ryder Cup a few years back.

The last time you could actually purchase tickets there, was back in the pre-TVM days. Back then there was a ticket booth, which was eventually burned down, and it's occupant chased down the tracks!

Rawr wrote: »
    The last time you could actually purchase tickets there, was back in the pre-TVM days. Back then there was a ticket booth, which was eventually burned down, and it's occupant chased down the tracks!
    What was he thinking getting a job there in the first place,anybody know what it was like in 1990 when it first opened was it always rundown or did it ever look okish....
    2269893886_0ac522aa18.jpg?v=0
    The only actual standing structure in the whole station,the burnt out factories nearby dont exactly do the station much justice eithher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

MYOB wrote: »
    I suspect they can; but from threads on here it appears the majority of caught fare dodgers / "I was running too late to queue for a ticket" people don't appear to know its there to use as an excuse!

It is unlikely to work unless a train serving or connecting from a service from Broombridge has just arrived into a station. If you changed train en route then that of course would be another story:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

triple-M wrote: »
    What was he thinking getting a job there in the first place,anybody know what it was like in 1990 when it first opened was it always rundown or did it ever look okish....

Was vandalised within hours of opening in 1990 by the local scumbags.

On the day of the opening of the service the then IE PR person was handing out flowers to the first female commuters using the line. At Broombridge no women showed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

triple-M wrote: »
    The only actual standing structure in the whole station,the burnt out factories nearby dont exactly do the station much justice eithher
    The factories have actually improved.

Advertisement