Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you BORN gay?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I think people are BORN gay, rather than wake up one day and just make the decision to be.

You?

BEING GAY: 113 votes

Is a decision that someone makes.
    0% 0 votes
    Is from birth.
    15% 17 votes
    I have no opinion.
    84% 96 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You assume just because you're not-born a certain way, you have a conscious choice in it. A person will be a number of things, some they will decide to be, some will be an accident of birth, but the vast majority they will simply develop into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GodOfRadio

Oh, thanks.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't think anyone decides on their sexuality, its more an expression of how they feel. Therefore, yes, I'd say its something you're born with.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

Gay guys I know say they think were definitely born gay and will stay that way! I know a couple of women who thought they were straight and had boyfriends/married and some had kids but now think they are gay later in life. They think they have changed. The only man I know who married and had children but came out as gay in his forties says her knew he was gay all along but wanted a family. This is only a tiny sample of humanity though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I refuse to vote in this poll cause it's just so stupid.

Like come on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ecdl07

You are not born gay. Certain issue's in your life make you gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

ecdl07 wrote: »
    You are not born gay. Certain issue's in your life make you gay.

So do you think that certain issues in your life make you straight as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ecdl07

If you have a normal up bringing you''ll be straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

So what's you excuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Lol. Define what a normal upbringing is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I still dont get the whole "its a choice" argument

Who would choose to be something that they know the majority of the world [ignorantly] hates?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I refuse to vote in this poll cause it's just so stupid.

Like come on.

Ditto, its a topic that could be interesting to discuss but the poll is just insultingly simple.

Nobody could be this stupid^ they must be trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Whether or not it's a result of upbringing or one's innate biological urges or a combination of both is an open question. One thing that is for sure is that a person has absolutely no say with regards to sexual preferences. It's most definitely not a lifestyle choice and anyone who thinks it is is clearing at least bisexual.

I love the above. Oh the irony.

Are you born gay? No, however science has proven that excessive masturbation can turn you gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GlowStickXo

A friend of mine has recently come out as a lesbian, well done happy for her; but I've known her all my life. I've seen her with guys she was a complete and utter excuse my french, cock fiend. Now suddenly after a dry spell, she's come out to everyone as being a lesbian. Am I right in questioning this complete change in her sexuality? I myself am bisexual and I just don't understand how one person can go from one extreme to the other in the space of a few months. You can't change and forget how much a person 'was' attracted to men born with your sexuality or not, I don't believe a person can forget attraction that quick She made a choice was defiantley not born with it.

Or maybe over time men appealed to her less and less, or perhaps she realised that her motivations for being with men where wrong. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GlowStickXo

who knows, but it was most defiantley a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

But plenty of people who are gay have had "normal" up bringing and they are gay? And what exactly is a normal up bringing?

I voted that you are born gay because I think that is mostly what happens but there will always be cases that surrounding environment has a huge influence on their choice!

who knows, but it was most defiantley a choice.

Do you believe she had no attraction to females, and then one day decided to just change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

A friend of mine has recently come out as a lesbian, well done happy for her; but I've known her all my life. I've seen her with guys she was a complete and utter excuse my french, cock fiend. Now suddenly after a dry spell, she's come out to everyone as being a lesbian. Am I right in questioning this complete change in her sexuality? I myself am bisexual and I just don't understand how one person can go from one extreme to the other in the space of a few months. You can't change and forget how much a person 'was' attracted to men born with your sexuality or not, I don't believe a person can forget attraction that quick She made a choice was defiantley not born with it.

Maybe she was just trying to convince herself that she was straight. Any one I've talked to has tried to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

its unreal to see people say that being gay is a choice! I've known I was gay since I was 11. I come from a family of 14, 7 boys and 7 girls. It certainly wasn't the way I was brought up because my younger brother is gay. I'm 26 and he's 19 and he laughed when I showed him this and that some people think we "choose" to be gay. If it was a case of choice, I'd certainly be straight but my lifestyle is me and like a lot of things, I don't have a choice. After years of soul searching I'm happy to be me and wouldn't change it for the world. People who think its a choice need to grow up and not live in tunnel vision.

Well when I first noticed that I was fantasising about men and been attracted to blokes and not women from a very young age I did everything in my power to put such thoughts out of my head.

I went out with women and prayed that this feeling would go away.

If I had had a choice I would have picked straight, life would have been so much easier. Id maybe of had the family I always wanted and of fitted in through my teen years and all the rest of social normality that has been denied to me through the fact that im gay. Don’t get me wrong im happy now due to the fact life has been good and a marvellous adventure

I had no choice ever now or then. Any of you straight guys try and imagine you making a choice to suck on dick!! Think NOT.

Choice me arse! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I'm not sure if anyone can say for sure if they were born that way.

Afterall, who remembers how they felt or thought when they were born? :)

However you can have an instinct based on how early your first memory of a sexual thought was.

You can also certainly say whether or not it was a choice. You can recall if you ever made a conscious choice. Assuming a young child wouldn't be in a position to make such a choice - not knowing what sexuality is - such a choice would be made later, within the bounds of one's memory.

Only gay people are really in a position to speak about this with any authority (well, anyone can ask themselves if they chose their sexuality..but it seems gay people are the ones most frequently asked..). My personal experience: certainly there was never a choice. If I ever had a choice I would not have chosen to be gay. I can be honest about that. It's not the sexuality itself that's an issue for me, but the context we live in that makes me wish I weren't gay. It's just a whole lot easier if you're not.

In terms of my earliest sexual memory, I do remember being 'curious' about - don't laugh - He-Man, and what was under his loin cloth :pac:At a very early age, like 3 or 4. I'd no idea that was a sexual thing at the time, I had no idea what sexuality was, but in hindsight I know it was, and thus I know that my sexuality had formed or was forming from an even earlier age than that, if indeed I wasn't born with it. It would be about 10 more years before I realised what 'gay' was, what sexuality was, and when my innocence about things and the world I was born into started to be shattered.

Based on my own experience, and how early I can remember 'first signs', I think it's something you're either born with, or something that forms very early, or an inclination you're born with that is solidified very early. I lean towards the first or the last, between which there's very little difference. I don't think nature leaves sexuality to chance (or to your choice), it's too important to the survival of the species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I wasn't convinced untill I got to the !, but now I question all my life experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 smileyhappy

I hate not being straight, really really really really I do. If I had a choice there's no way on this planet I'd be anything other than straight. Not even the slightest chance. I wish I liked guys like I like girls. Girls are so much prettier and sexy and *sigh* :o

doesn't mean I don't try and convince myself otherwise. Doesn't mean I don't go out looking for guys. Doesn't mean I haven't had way, way, way too many sexual partners (men) over the last few years. I just have my own deamons to deal with and right now I'm still making a half hearted attempt at convincing myself I'm straight.

Was I born that way... well... I think that's up for debate. I KNOW I was born with TENDANCIES that way because my first crushes were on girls, my first urges to kiss anyone were for girls (boys.. ew icky :rolleyes:). In fact, a lot of teens go through a "phase" some time between 10 and 15 where the same sex appeals. For some it's just a phase. For others it's not. Honestly, I believe it's a combination of nature and nurture. I was raped when I was 15. I'd say that has a fair bit to do with my current inability to 100% trust men, and perhaps my inability to accept myself. Maybe it'd have just been a phase if I hadn't been raped? Maybe then nurture would have overruled nature, but as it is, I think nurture has compounded nature.

edit: could the mods add some more options? Maybe like "life experiences make you who you are" and "life experience combined with genetics"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Am I the only one who actually likes being gay? :)

It's who I am and, since coming to terms with it, I wouldn't change it.

Sure there was a time (for like 20 years) that I tried my best to be the 'normal' straight guy but if I had the power to go back and change anything it would be to come out and be comfortable with myself at an earlier age -- given the wish, that's what it'd be. I wouldn't wish myself straight. While I don't put my sexuality at the forefront of 'who I am', it just seems too much of a fundamental thing to change... I've no idea who I would be if I were straight.

And I'm fairly sure I was born gay. All my early memories of attraction relate to guys, or of convincing myself that affection for females was in any way sexual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

People can choose to label themselves anything they like, and they can act in whatever manner they choose either. That does not mean that your friend is being truthful to herself or perhaps that she was in the past.

Me personally born that way... and I have hours of excruciatingly embarrassing home videos to prove it.

Goodshape wrote: »

Sure there was a time (for like 20 years) that I tried my best to be the 'normal' straight guy but if I had the power to go back and change anything it would be to come out and be comfortable with myself at an earlier age -- given the wish, that's what it'd be. I wouldn't wish myself straight. While I don't put my sexuality at the forefront of 'who I am', it just seems too much of a fundamental thing to change... I've no idea who I would be if I were straight.

And I'm fairly sure I was born gay. All my early memories of attraction relate to guys, or of convincing myself that affection for females was in any way sexual.

No your not the only one i wouldn't change a thing as stated I wouldnt of met my partner and be the person who I am and had some of the most wonderful adventures that I have had.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if only back when i was in my teens that i knew life was going to be so much better then i could of ever imagined, i would of never of felt so awful about being gay!

Society is what needs to change not me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I wouldn't wish myself straight. While I don't put my sexuality at the forefront of 'who I am', it just seems too much of a fundamental thing to change... I've no idea who I would be if I were straight.

Seconded. Wonderful way of saying that.

And regarding the women's "changing sexuality" thing, a number of studies have shown that women's sexualities tend to be more fluid and more likely to change over time than men's.

Regarding the original poll, a much much better phrasing might have been:

I believe sexual orientation is due to:

a) Exclusively genetic factors
    b) Mostly genetic factors, with some environmental factors
    c) An approximately even mix of behavioural and environmental factors
    d) Mostly environmental factors, with some genetic factors
    e) Exclusively environmental factors
    f) A personal choice unrelated to genetic and/or environmental factors
    g) Other (please explain)

This avoids a lot of the problems your original wording had that, to be honest, quite irritated me and others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

What is there to like? The stigma and alienation? Or maybe the tiny selection of 'gay' pubs and clubs? How about the increased risk of early death and disease?

You say that sexuality isn't a fundamental part of who you are, but then contradict yourself by saying you don't know who you'd be if you were straight? If you truly believed that sexuality were incidental, than you would be you.......but straight. The same mannerisms, tastes and interests, no?

Tbh saying you 'like' being gay sounds like a desire to swim against the tide/be confrontationally counter culture manifested in sexuality. Which is exactly the arguement the 'homosexuality is a choice' crew seem to be so fond of isn't it?:rolleyes:

Advertisement