Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sea cave photography and the hunt for Ireland's oldest bones.

• 19-04-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am a photographer from Northern Ireland. Over the last 2 years I have been busy on a project to photograph Antrim's mighty sea caves. The journey has been full of adventure and last year I used my toy dinghy to take me into the Grand Cave of Runkerry, a cave never photographed before. That story made headlines in the Irish News. My project has also taken me to Rathlin Island on the hunt for Robert the Bruce and his legendary spider.

More recently I have completed Chapter 7 of the story which I think might interest the archaeologists on this forum. I have attempted to link some new photographs of Antrim's raised beach caves to the work carried out by the pioneers of Ulster archaeology in the early 1900s. The story highlights some interesting bones excavated by Andrew McL. May in the cave at Portbradden, bones that I very much hope my project might help to refind.

Anyway, you can read the complete story here
    http://www.andymcinroy.com/5port7.htm

And here's a selection of the photographs.

ir397.jpg

ir283.jpg

dunkerry.jpg

ir281.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ahara

Hi Andy,

The pictures are fantastic. I knew there were caves along the Antrim coast but never thought they would be anything like this in size. I might go up for a look at them if I get a chance. Have you any particular favourites or are any fairly easy to access?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭amcinroy

Thanks ahara, glad you enjoyed them.

These caves are all very different. Some are very easy to access (e.g Mermaid's Cave below Dunluce castle), while others either need a boat (Dunkerry) or a low spring tide (Cathedral Cave, White Rocks).

I would recommend that you go and see Portcoon (4th image). This one is very close to the Giant's Causeway and is fairly accessible except at the highest tide. There is a tricky 20 foot rock step to negotiate so care is still needed. PM me for directions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wow. Just wow. Those images are spectacular. It's great to know someone is out there documenting these. I had no clue of their existence, certainly not of their number and possible use in prehistory. Kudos

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement