Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle match

Options
  • 19-04-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

good win. decent finish by bent for the goal. prob should have scored first time but hey a win is a win. would have liked the security of a second goal especially when martins took that one on his chest on the 6 yard box near the end!

delighted to see hutton and defoe making comebacks. unfortunitly for dawson one at his expense. hope he is ok. any one any word on his condition. got a txt saying suspected broken ankle. hopefully not.

clean sheet, 3 pts, return of a couple of injuries. cant complain:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Thought bent was great first time he layed it off to keane but harper got it unselfish play and then he was quick off the mark to get the rebound brilliant. BAE looks like he's improving every game I was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

A wins a win - very happy.
    Only issue was our inability to rack up 3 or 4 goals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

delighted with the win,lets go to Old trafford and get something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

5 Clean sheets in a row at the lane for Gomes. Wouldnt be andy grays biggest fan but did ye hear him on bout how woodgate and corluka must luv him coz he comes for every ball ,to all ye Gomes doubters keep the faith he's coming good ..top top keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Isnt it great not to be involved in the relegation scrap! After losing to bolton i thought we would still be in the mire today! Important win today but like the blackburn and west ham games we need to be a bit more clinical and close out the games earlier but winning 1 nil is a good habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

we should have put 3 or 4 passed newcaslte last night.

the were muck, and to be honest, when we had the ball it was nice and flowing, but it wasnt effective once it got to the left or right wings. it just sort of broke down.

was the sort of game like the blackburn one where youjust thought they might nick one back, specially when martins came on. glad he was a donkey in that game. if he had been on form, he would have put away the 2 good chances he had.
    still, when youre down there, nothing seems to go right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I tell ya I wouldn't mind going in for as a couple of them if they go down, Martins or Nolan to be honest.

I thought we did very well against a very poor side TBH, Shearer's crazy tactics invited us to make bits of them. On another day we could have put away 4 or 5 and that is the important thing. I thought Hutton did very well when he came on in fact I thought the whole back line where excelent. I thought Keane was quiet and I'm still not sold on Bent to be honest even though he did well on the day.

I think we have left it too late for a stab at 8th IMO, of course if we keep the form up you'd never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

i reckon 7th is there for us if we want it enough. We could nick a point at OT if we have king and woody fit, with gomes playing well. From there the confidence will be strong and i for one would love robbie to stick it down the scousers throats on the last day at anfield.... although he'll prob get an O.G tp win them the title and get himself a winners medal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Jesus See I'm in two minds over that I always wanted robbie to Stick it down fergie's gob too for saying he didn't rate Keane(not exaclty said that but the point remains the same) when Coventry signed him. I would also love for Liverpool to have the chance to win the league and have him stick it to them too.

If this fixture list happened in a movie you would say it was far fetched it though wouldn't ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Keane's name is already on the teamsheet for the final game first one he's going to have something to prove and there's nothing like a player with a point to prove.

At OT i really see if we play well defensively and we get the led out we have a great chance of getting something out of this game we're one of the best teams in the league for taking points of the top half of the table and 4th worst for taking points of the bottom half of the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It was great to be in the lane yesterday to see Spurs win,as someone else said it was i bit like the Blackburn game and i tought we were going to pay for not putting them away but thankfully our defence was in great form.Ekotto suprised me, he was excellent,i often hear fans saying that Hutton should be sold at the end of the season but he was very good when he came on,Keano had a very quiet game and i hope Dawson is not injured to badly because he was having a stormer up to that...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

ziedth wrote: »
    I tell ya I wouldn't mind going in for as a couple of them if they go down, Martins or Nolan to be honest.

I thought we did very well against a very poor side TBH, Shearer's crazy tactics invited us to make bits of them. On another day we could have put away 4 or 5 and that is the important thing. I thought Hutton did very well when he came on in fact I thought the whole back line where excelent. I thought Keane was quiet and I'm still not sold on Bent to be honest even though he did well on the day.

I think we have left it too late for a stab at 8th IMO, of course if we keep the form up you'd never know.

Couldn't agree more.
    I honestly believe that if we want to improve, Bent must be sold, his first touch is very iffy and he appears incapable of holding the ball up.
    Whilst I'm not convinced by Pav, at least he can find his colleagues when we are attacking...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Great to see Hutton look sharp- what a cross for Bent. Players fighting hard- options in most positions- a really settled look to them with a good shape. Palacios must get a lot of the credit what a signing. good to see defoe back as well. Loads to take from it, but five clean sheets in a row at home the most pleasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

good win should have got a couple more goals, with newcastle sitting back for the whole first half made it difficult though.
    bae impressed again ,hutton looked good going foward for someone out so long he was given a lot space though as was corluka first half. lots of positives passed the ball well defended well just missed to many chances. agree about martins he always looks a threat when he plays summer purchase/swap for bent.

Advertisement