Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Walking Boots

Options
  • 19-04-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing some hill walking over the summer and saw that Aldi are doing a special on Mens and Womens' walking boots on thursday

(http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8873.htm)

The only drawback is that the Mens boots are only sizes 8 - 10, and I'm normally 10.5 to 11. Has anyone ever bought these from Aldi? If so, I'd be grateful if you could tell me if they were durable and what scale their sizings are.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Not too sure myself on things like this but they look perfect for festivals etc.

So does a lot of the other kit:

Outdoor jacket: http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8867.htm
    Outdoor trousers: http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8868.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

They are fine boots and durable enough, but i wouldnt recommend them if you are planning to do serious walking in them, although i was with a group of people on Lug and carrauntoohil who found them grand!

Can't really help you in regards to the sizing.

I would recommend their walkig pole i have found them to be great!

The kendel mint cake is also good!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

keenan110 wrote: »
    The kendel mint cake is also good!:)

Kendal Mint Cake - the only good think about hiking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

....only time I bought cheap boots they fell apart after a couple of walks and nearly destroyed my feet.......invest in good boots and they should last a minimum of 4 years......Scarpa, Asolo and La Sportiva are excellent Italian brands.....all are available in outdoor shops around Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

Thanks for all the replies - this hike will probably be a one-off; I'm more into long -distance running than hiking, so I'm not going to spend more than I have to on boots. I'll head on up tomorrow morning and try them on, I guess. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

I'd say cut off your toes tonight and they'll be nice and snug!

Going in tomorrow myself, will get stuff like gaiters, maybe trousers and jackets, socks and base layers. Think boots would be the one thing I'd be careful about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was looking at getting a pair of those boots .
    They are water-resistant not water-proof so I'm wary now and think they won't keep me dry if I hit any patch of wet weather - Would I be right in thinking this?

bullpost wrote: »
    Was looking at getting a pair of those boots .
    They are water-resistant not water-proof so I'm wary now and think they won't keep me dry if I hit any patch of wet weather - Would I be right in thinking this?

Maybe not. What's the outer layer made from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its a bit unclear.

It talks about weatherproof fabrics and water-resisitant lining?

Link here: http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8873.htm

They'd probably be fine in rain, maybe not so good in partial immersion. I don't like the design, lots of different fabrics, hard to maintain. The price is right, though. My Hanwags cost 6 times that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

They seemed well put together to me - bit small though! ended up getting a pair on capel street. The 3 layer jackets from aldi are great tho! kept me dry in the downpour we had yesterday evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Donny5 wrote: »
    They'd probably be fine in rain, maybe not so good in partial immersion. I don't like the design, lots of different fabrics, hard to maintain.
    Yes, that's the thing, really. These fabric/suede + goretex type boots are fine for walking on well maintained tracks, and are reasonably good at stopping rain getting in from above, but if you're planning on doing much walking "off-piste", as it were, in Ireland, or even walking on the boggy, rock strewn puddles that pass as tracks in large parts of the uplands of Ireland, then forget it. Hours on end of trudging through wet grass and over bog are enough of a challenge for a good quality pair of well waterproofed leather boots with gaiters as well, so those kinds of boots stand no chance in those conditions.

Advertisement