Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Me time"

Options
  • 19-04-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm wondering what do people consider as "me time". Somebody said to me yesterday that her trips to the hairdresser are her "me time". I couldn't agree, I hate going to the hairdresser, it's a chore and an expense I could do without. I have grey roots so getting the colour done is just another job for me.

I'm not a fan of spa treatments either, would rather buy clothes with spare cash.

Another friend considers her evening course as her "me time". It's time away from her family and children but it involves study and exams so I'm not sure I could call that "me time" either.

I used to love yoga classes but money is tight these days and I can't justify paying for yoga courses at the moment. Getting my nails french polished I enjoy because I always have a nice chat with the girl in the salon. But I only do it if I'm going somehere. Around twice a week I'd have a hot chocolate in a coffee shop which is about as much as I'm spending on treats at the moment.

So what's your "me time"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

+1 to hating the hairdresser, i absolutely hate going!

it drives me mad having to sit staring at myself in teh mirror for 3 hours (the alternative is reading out of date magazines that i already bought weeks.months ago)

i hate the "where are you going on holidays" inane small talk

/rant over

for me time, its sunday mornings cosy in bed reading, or dancing around the living room plugged into my ipod, or long walks on the beach

it may not sound like much, but it keeps me sane!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A big cup of tea and a really good book

Or playing compy games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

A road trip. Anytime, anywhere. I spend a ridiculous amount of time on the road, and love every minute of it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Reading is my "me-time". I absolutely love it! I have to have a book on the go, I really enjoy it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I'd say reading too. Or watching Lost. No-one is allowed to disturb me during a new episode of Lost. I even watch it on my computer instead of the TV so I don't have people coming in and out of the living room, or talking during it.

I can't afford spa treatments, and I hate staring at myself for 3 hours in the hairdressers (the lights always make me look ugly and my arse goes numb).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

I thought i was the only one that hated the hairdresser.

My 'me time' just get out and walk - i never walk anywhere in particular just get out away from people, get some fresh air and room to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Doing things like a really long shower, painting my nails, other beauty stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I absolutely hate ironing, but when it has to be done, I try turning it into "me time". Stick on a good audio book, close the door, a nice drink to hand, and just let my brain empty out and concentrate on the ironing.

Of course, sometimes the ironing hatred overcomes me anyway, but when I can fool myself it works great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

My 'Hermione' time can be a lot of different things: Pilates class, yoga workshops, getting my nails done (generally every fortnight), walks on the beach, my daily walk home from work, cooking, watching Grey's Anatomy, or reading.

I love my 'me' time. I have to have some every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

sam34 wrote: »

i hate the "where are you going on holidays" inane small talk

/rant over

I hate that too!! I find small talk such a chore.

I wouldn't class anything as 'me time' unless I'm totally on my own.

So for me, it's reading in bed, or watching a dvd - in bed, or in the living room with a duvet. Love having the house to myself, putting on a music channel and singing and dancing round the place like a loon as well.

Oh and when I opened this thread, I thought "Me time" was a euphemism... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

There's nothing more special to me than time alone with just my animals for company, especially if I've problems to think over, or if I'm just sick of human voices around me, or the world turning too fast.

Sometimes, if I'm awake early enough and its still dark, I take my horse down to the beach with my dogs, and we all go for a ramble in the pre-dawn. Nothing more lovely than to make our way back to my parents house as light starts to filter over the horizon, no sounds but us and the birds.

Theres nothing more peaceful, no company more enjoyable, and nothing more special than the early winter morning, spent with the most amiable companions you can have, just you and them in the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I LOVE getting my hair done, if I could afford it I'd never wash my own hair again :pac:

Me time? I guess being on here - hubby watches what he likes on TV and I get to chat to pals or read stuff I wouldn't otherwise.

Can't think of anything else to be honest... hubby and I are of the sickening couple types that like to spend all our time together (sorry, it makes some people sick, I know!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

oh my "me time" is def watching law and order special victims unit or just going around the town looking at shops. i wouldn't class as getting my hair done as "me time". or having a nice soak in the bath. oh how i do love that when my back is in agony :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

my "me time" is my weekly yoga class. Love it

Also like driving in general and singing along to the songs on the radio or cd. Not a morning person but after my 45 minute commute to work everyday keeps me sane :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭shelly.m

my me time would be going to a bike show

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*Honey* wrote: »
    I LOVE getting my hair done, if I could afford it I'd never wash my own hair again :pac:
    Lol, I love getting my hair done too. Probably a good thing, because I have very short hair that needs to be cut a lot.

In general - my "me time" is when I'm running, swimming, watching movies, baking, gaming or reading.

It's a bit obvious that I'm single :pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I'd consider me time to be any time I'm purposely on my own!

Going for a walk, watching a film, chilling out in my room etc!

I use it to contemplate, mostly!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Glad I'm not the only hater of the hairdressers, I just don't find it relaxing at all and generally don't like my hair afterwards so it's a definite chore. I do like when they wash it but not talk, I have water in my ears I can't hear you :D

Me time would be being at home by myself and getting through a few things, beauty things or even clearing out something but having loads of time to do it while listening to music. Can't beat singing your heart out with no one having to listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Boards is my me time. Because I'm so far from home it keeps me connected with everything that's going on (although if I have to read one more recession/the dole is too much thread I'll kill myself!). It feels much more separate to my life here than it did when I lived in Dublin. It's like escapism, except it's escaping home for a while. If my bf tries to talk to me when I'm replying to threads or I'm checking my subscribed threads, he gets firmly ignored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I really hate getting my hair done too! Im usually in there so long that by the time she is drying my hair im irritated and hungry and i just want to slap her for pulling at my hair! :mad: And the smell gives me a headache, and when i leave i have tiny hairs stuck allover my face i look like i have a beard! :o
    My me time is at the gym relaxing in the hot tub or sauna after a workout!
    When im watching anything on tv by myself with my blanket and a cup of tea and something chocolatey is also my me time!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh the hairdresser is a total chore for me! And of course, they would like me to go every 6 weeks, but since I usually go every 4 months or so, I always get a thinly veiled lecture about the state of my hair. The small talk kills me.

As for "me time", I think the time I like best in the week is a Saturday mid-morning. I have the house to myself for a few hours so I usually spend a good while in the kitchen cooking up a nice concoction for dinner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

sillyputty wrote: »
    I thought i was the only one that hated the hairdresser.

My 'me time' just get out and walk - i never walk anywhere in particular just get out away from people, get some fresh air and room to think.

Agreed. I love it. A great de-stresser and loads of time to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I haven't been to the hairdresser since I was 17 (25 now) .. I nearly always wear my hair up so it never needs more than a basic trim. Never liked it anyway, for all the reasons already mentioned, and hairdryers give me a headache.

My 'me time' usually consists of going to the gym, driving on my own (especially with music up really loud), watching America's Next Top Model and as of this weekend, reading the Saturday/Sunday papers in the back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Sometimes, if I'm awake early enough and its still dark, I take my horse down to the beach with my dogs, and we all go for a ramble in the pre-dawn. Nothing more lovely than to make our way back to my parents house as light starts to filter over the horizon, no sounds but us and the birds.

That is so lovely, pets are the best.

shelly.m wrote: »
    my me time would be going to a bike show

But they wouldn't be on very often would they? I plan on going to the Xpose live show in May, I always go to giry stuff like that but such shows are only on a few times a year. How often do people need "me time"?

Because, I seem to manage at least one of these every day.
    mollybird wrote: »
    or just going around the town looking at shops.(
    watna wrote: »
    Boards is my me time!
    *Lees* wrote: »
    When im watching anything on tv by myself with my blanket and a cup of tea and something chocolatey is also my me time!! :D

This post has been deleted.

Says the mod who always answers my posts in the Learning to drive forum:)
    I want to like driving and some days I do but I failed my driving test before Easter so now I have to pay for another test, pay for and do more lessons so driving is still more of a stress for me than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Communicator

I really thought I was the ONLY person who hated the hairdressers!! Can't stand it!!

My 'me' time is reading, reading and more reading! Always have to have a book on the go...:) And I like what someone else said, driving on my own! Love that too, with the radio up loud or a great CD on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I am a crazed psychobitch without my 'me time'.

Generally a nice, long and directless walk in the fresh air, the scenic the better, does the job. Favourite spots are the Phoenix Park or the quieter spots along the prom in Galway - along the back or Mutton Island. I love sitting on the rocks at the end of the walk to Mutton Island and just staring out at the ocean. I can sit there for hours.

The last time I was down there though, there were one or two others who had the same idea, and I stomped off in a huff to find a new 'me time' spot!

On an off topic note - I just don't get those people who seem to hate their own company and can think of nothing worse than a walk on the prom on their own. One of my best friends is like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kiera12

Going to our mobile home in Kilgorman Gorey, on my own, snuggling up on the couch with a glass of wine (or hot chocolate) in nice baggy tracksuit bottoms, put the fire on ..sometimes splash out and get a chinese... and watch a movie...... & turn off my phone too! Its awesome down there 'cause its very private and right on the beach! :) Thats defo my 'me time' place! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

The best 'me time' for me is simply sitting on a beach (hot or cold) staring and at the waves and just thinking. I seem to go into a world of my own and get so completly relaxed after a few minutes. I love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stevelknievel

I actually love playing the guitar in my me time. I do it every day after work/shower. I lock myself in my room, lie down on bed and just start strumming random chords. No full songs, no famous riffs. Don't even think about what I'm playing. Just let my fingers move. Incredibly therapeutic. For me anyway. It drives my house mates mad though:p Other options are the swimming pool/sauna, or going into a park and lying down on the grass with my eyes closed and my mp3 player.

Advertisement