Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIPTU in industrial campaign warning

Options
  • 19-04-2009 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0419/economy.html

The full discussion is at http://www.rte.ie/news/thisweek/ and pick the 19th April
    SIPTU president Jack O'Connor has warned that the union will engage in a sustained industrial campaign if agreement cannot be reached on a new national recovery programme.

The union has given the Government a deadline of 1 May to establish whether an agreement can be reached with the social partners on a new deal.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio, Mr O'Connor warned that SIPTU would engage in industrial action if the parties to the talks could not find the basis for an agreement that would address the key issues facing workers.

Talks on a National Recovery Plan are due to resume on Wednesday. They had broken up on 5 April ahead of the Supplementary Budget.

A draft text was presented for consideration at that time.

Mr O'Connor said today that his union would not conclude an agreement which does not address key issues for workers and provide a mechanism by which the public can reap a dividend out of current dismal circumstances.

This was the closest I have heard the trade union movement talk about anarchy if they dont get what they want, with an inevitable focus on the rights of 'the people who did not cause the mess':mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd imagine what Jack O'Connor really means when he says:
    "that his union would not conclude an agreement which does not address key issues for workers and provide a mechanism by which the public can reap a dividend out of current dismal circumstances."

what he actually means is:
    "that his union would not conclude an agreement which does not address key issues for only the workers I represent (and screw the rest of you and your businesses because they'll be affected and I won't care) and provide a mechanism by which the public (service sector) can reap a dividend out of current dismal circumstances."

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭zoey48

I have to say it is shocking to see union leaders using the current circumstance to abuse the goverment (they do deserve it) and using the false pretense that they looking out for the general public to further their own interests.

We all know everything is fecked up, but is this really the time to go off looking for more money. The public partnership has given lots of people increased income over the last decade and the real question we must now face is can we as an economy afford to now pay these ongoing costs? Nevermind their demand for futher increases going forward.

How many of us are now getting more worried about the damage the unions can do to this country going forward rather then the damage the politicans have done in the past?

Advertisement