Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduced hours.....

Options
  • 19-04-2009 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going to try and keep this short....basically I'm in part time employment with a contract that states that I am "Guaranteed a minimum of 15 hours a week". Up until recently I was working in excess of 20 hours a week doing every Sunday. Due to the downturn and budget cuts my hours have been dramatically reduced to approximately 8 hours a week. It has also come to my attention that in my store and others those who are joined to a union have had their hours untouched. My question is can they reduce my hours? Would it be worth my while joining a union now after my hours have been reduced?....Im afraid to rock the boat, my manager is extremely unapproachable and tends to be dismissive of staff members that cause "problems".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

personally I'd join the union anyway, they're helping me out on some BS in work.

if you're contractually bound to a minimum of 15 hrs you could insist on getting them, or even insist on being paid for them because it's in the contract.

is the boss being fair about who's hours gets cut? is everyone getting their hours slashed or is it just you? cos if it's everyone then it's that there recession that's doing it. the boss could be trying to give everyone as many hours as possible instead of letting people go.

if it's only you on the other hand the join the union and scream it from the roof tops

Advertisement