Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymaloe

Options
  • 19-04-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of enrolling myeslf in the five day Intensive Introductory Cookery Course here in the summer. Just wondering if anyone has been, it's not cheap at €875 so would love to hear from someone who's been to it to see if it's worth the spondoolies....

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Hi,

I'm thinking of enrolling myeslf in the five day Intensive Introductory Cookery Course here in the summer. Just wondering if anyone has been, it's not cheap at €875 so would love to hear from someone who's been to it to see if it's worth the spondoolies....

Thanks!

I've not been on the course, but its a few miles from my house and i visit regulary. The kitchens you work in are top notch. Her teachers/tutors etc are also A1. The surrounds are beautiful. She has a huge veg and herb garden, that makes me jealous whenever i visit. She has free range chickens, hens etc etc etc. Huge gardens, well maintained and a little hut at the top of the garden to go sit, read a book or just relax at the end of a days college work. the setting is amazing, she is amazing, the tutors are amazing, the facilities are amazing...can you see where i'm going with this?:D
    Her demo kitchen s super, low work benches so you can see what shes doing, over head is mirrors about 8ft long so you can see anything not in your line of sight. She uses this for her tv work.

Darina told me, when i was on a day trip with college to ballymaloe a good few years ago (8 maybe) that the majority of her course is american housewives who've been "sent" by their husbands. I've worked with two girls who trained here, they loved it, real world of cooking, not so useful, from what i could tell.

Is it worth it? yes. would i attend? no. Then again we want different things from food. I want a long healthy career, what is it you want? i'm GUESSING to learn more for home use and dinner parties etc?:confused:

Few pics,
    top of the garden, for relaxation

0197_ballymaloe.jpg

Herb garden (this shot is small, only gets a corner of it)
    123713466PiJeGG_fs.jpg

More..
    51925_Ballymaloe-Garden-1.jpg

Demo kitchen

AABS001369.jpg

Some veg after being harvested for use in the restaurant

AABS001375.jpg

On the farm....
    1603_ballymaloe_i_294282t.jpg

These are not my photos, living so close i never saw the need to take some.

These are my shots of the area, all located withing 5 miles of the school.

06042009004.jpg
    06042009002.jpg
    inchp2.jpg
    02042009.jpg

Last one is ballycotton harbour, from the carpark of the bayview hotel....eat here...mmmmm
    The other are from the PUBLIC walk on inche, long walkway, tarmac so nice and clean, easy to walk on and whats better is its on the cliff top! Photos are from my phone so quality isn't great, but heres a taster of what to expect.
    These photos are taken last week, in the sunshine,the beach is that rough all the time, very busy for surfing, bodyboarding etc.
    IF you decide to attend, PM me i'd be delighted to offer more local sights to see, directions...etc etc etc.

Happy cooking,
    Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Wow it looks absoulutely beautiful! I enrolled yesterday for a week in July and I'm so glad I did now. Yeah, I just want to do the course for cooking at home and dinner parties I guess. Have a real interest in food for years but have really taught myself as my parents weren't great cooks so think the week will give me lots of new ideas...

Don't think I'll be bored in the evenings anyway it looks like there would be beautiful walks nearby. Really looking forward to it, apparently the budding chefs can milk the cows in the morning and pick the vegetables and herbs from the garden so I guess its back to nature for me this summer :D

Back to nature is right, if there one way to learn about food, its to get your hands dirty. pulling herbs and veg from the ground, bringing them inside, washing,preparing, cooking them, tasting what you've created... an experience comparable to nothing else.

the sea shots i've taken are from one of the many walkways in the area, their all beautiful.

while your about, call in to sage rest, main st midelton.... guy from near the college... 26.... prepares everything fresh in the morning. We used to start at 7.30 EVERY morning. no exotic ingredients, you'll see what time and care can do for food. as it should be. the best priced food in the area. you can find some menus online, google sage rest midleton.

I'm not sure what size garden if any, you have. but remember you can grow herbs in a window box, and veg in plant pots. the only limitation is you. B&Q have a serious selection, and the best prices for seeds.

Anything else you want to know, of the area or recipies, just ask. Enjoy your time in ballymaloe and the area. Oh and if you see their relish for sale in the supermarket, leave it on the shelf, its ****e. Make your own, it'll be yummy.

Take care,
    Keith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 MrsMcNearly

xxdilemmaxx, did you do your five day course? I would love to know how you got on?? I am thinking of enrolling....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I did the 3 month course down there in 2009. Place is heaven on earth, I LOVED IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Did the 3 month course last year, haven't looked back. Great course and now have my own catering company

• Registered Users Posts: 13 citybaker

second all of the above, happiest three months of my life (so far)

Advertisement