Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well known people linked with Sligo

Options
  • 19-04-2009 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

hi all,

hoping you can help me, havin a debate at home
    about all the famous people born in sligo..

And also Famous people's parents born in sligo
    And Famous people now living in Sligo

Can ye name a few, and tell me either if they were born or their parents were born or now living here

thanks all ye will save a few cells in all our brains been frizzled out over this:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Mark Feehily And Shane Filan Out Of Westlife Were Born In Sligo :D
    And Also Kian Egan Out Of Westlife

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

spike milligan's father was born in holborn street....and if i remember correctly bram stoker(of dracula fame ) his mother was from sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Michael Flatley's father.

WB Yeats wasn't born there but he did spend a lot of time there growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Countess Constance Markievicz of course
    Mischa Barton's mother (I think) is from Sligo
    The dude from Lord of the Dance has at least one parent from Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sligo Aine, that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Sligo Aine, that is all.
    tell me this ive heard so much bout aine chambers and seen her web pages..

but wats so special bout this lady ????

thanks so far to all whos getting me outta this one my mind is getting a little lighter now :D

Googled and found alot

so i share with ye :)

Born in sligo:

Neil Jordan (film director)
    Tommy Flemming (singer)
    Brother Walfred (Celtic FC founder)
    Shane Filan (Westlife)
    Kian Egan (Westlife)
    Mark Feeley (Westlife)
    Sir George Gabriel Stokes (Physicist)
    Ms Doyle (Fr Ted Fame)
    Dermot Mannion (CEO Aer Lingus)
    Ray Mac Sharry ( former Tanaiste)
    Tabby ( Xfactor finalist)
    Conway sisters (xfactor)
    Mark Scalon (cyclist)
    Sandie Kelly (singer)
    Tommie Gorman ( RTE news)
    Paddy Clancy (The Star Journalist)
    Constance Markievicz

Parents born in sligo:

Spike Milligan (father)
    Michael Flatley (Father)
    Mischa Barton (Mother)
    Bram Stoker (Mother)
    Ronan o Gara (father)
    Daniel Day Lewis ( Father)

looking back on other replys i noticed ye mentioned a few (sorry) but thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

your not allowed google. Thats cheating lol.
    Sandy kelly was born in balintogher wasnt she?

seanybiker wrote: »
    your not allowed google. Thats cheating lol.
    Sandy kelly was born in balintogher wasnt she?
    so sorry i shouldn have done that now i ruined it on ye,
    but saying that its more of a challenge now...

after googling again and it looks like sandy kelly moved from her native wales in 1974 and set up a band called sandy duskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Eliza Gilbert aka "Lola Montez" Grange 1821

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

eugene lambert...aka "judge","mr crow"etc of wanderly wagon fame is Sligo born also.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And people's parents are not famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Hi Rio

Do you mean County or Borough -- re born in?

Just a few quick points.

Countess Markievicz - London born, Lissadell bred.
    Prof Stokes -- from Skreen.
    Brother Walfrid - somewhere near Ballymote.

Paddy Clancy LOL
    Tommy Fleming OMG
    Aine Chambers WTF

Most famous person now living in Sligo? Is probably - hate to say it -- Shane Filan?

Best association with Sligo as a result of Westlife -- some might argue viewing Jodie Albert's fine physique as she sauntered around local hostelries.

How many of the 'most famous' list have Boarders met?

Was going to work out a points based 'Britain's Gone Talent' scale -- but just realised that Tabby's family would probably jam the counter:D

2 Best Sligo Interviews (excluding Tommy Gorman) how always does Sligo proud, imo include Tabby with Pat Kenny (rock on) and Spike Milligan to Gay Byrne (Holborn Street pride).

Re identity, to paraphrase the words of a famous Navan man (not Hector) 'because I was born in a stable, am I a horse' -- "no but your the next thing to one" (the latter, that's a travellers insult apparently).

Cheery Bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Dont know if he was born here but Capt. James Doherty is buried in the old part of sligo cemetry. Its disputed but its on his headstone as being Lincolns brave avenger. When Wilkes Booth was caught there was a scuffle/shootout and Doherty is meant to have shoot Booth. This is disputed by an officer higher up who claimed he shot Booth. In either case it should be made into something bigger given the amount of US tourists visiting here.

they are to a certain degree, esp really famous people,,

simple fact: they wouldn be who they are today if it wasnt for their parents :)
    so reason i asked this because i taught it be interesting to find out who's families came from sligo..

Lieut Edward P Doherty was born in Quebec - his father Joseph Doherty of Market Street (not of Castle Street as is generally supposed) Sligo. His bones lie in the Arlington US Military Cemetery in Virgina -- details on his Sligo tomb are believed to have been incised at behest of his Aunt.

Re famed Sligonians -- my favourite who hasn't been mentioned suprisingly here is the great Jack B Yeats. A true Sligonian -- when in London assiduously indulged in 'Sligo Walk' a type of 1890s rock and roll sailor strut (possibly something looking akin to being half-scuttled at 2 am leaving the Ark!)along with entertaining his parent's with his Sligo accent -- which he also cultivated. By the by, Jack did a sketch of my g-grandfather on the Docks in Sligo.

Another famed Sligo artist is Patrick Collins -- though born in Dromore West, spent his life in Dublin/Paris his ashes were cast over the aqua of Lough Gill/Garavogue.

If you want far-out Sligo connection Ambrose O'Higgins, Viceroy of Peru and his son Higgins Jnr who established Chilean Navy -- very famous for obvious reasons in South America, loads of streets named after them equivalent to number of O'Connell Street here.

Indeed, what about Queen Maeve onas Andrew Maxwell calls it the 'Boobie Mountain. Although he was so misinformed about Sligo that when asking the crowd where you would bring a girl on a first date, someone heckled 'the Holy Well' (late night loving in days gone by) he innocently asked 'is that a pub'? Needless to say, Sligo guffaws at innocent Dubliner!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

don't even try to troll in my forum, buster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Lieut Edward P Doherty was born in Quebec - his father Joseph Doherty of Market Street (not of Castle Street as is generally supposed) Sligo. His bones lie in the Arlington US Military Cemetery in Virgina -- details on his Sligo tomb are believed to have been incised at behest of his Aunt.

Re famed Sligonians -- my favourite who hasn't been mentioned suprisingly here is the great Jack B Yeats. A true Sligonian -- when in London assiduously indulged in 'Sligo Walk' a type of 1890s rock and roll sailor strut (possibly something looking akin to being half-scuttled at 2 am leaving the Ark!)along with entertaining his parent's with his Sligo accent -- which he also cultivated. By the by, Jack did a sketch of my g-grandfather on the Docks in Sligo.

Another famed Sligo artist is Patrick Collins -- though born in Dromore West, spent his life in Dublin/Paris his ashes were cast over the aqua of Lough Gill/Garavogue.

If you want far-out Sligo connection Ambrose O'Higgins, Viceroy of Peru and his son Higgins Jnr who established Chilean Navy -- very famous for obvious reasons in South America, loads of streets named after them equivalent to number of O'Connell Street here.

Indeed, what about Queen Maeve onas Andrew Maxwell calls it the 'Boobie Mountain. Although he was so misinformed about Sligo that when asking the crowd where you would bring a girl on a first date, someone heckled 'the Holy Well' (late night loving in days gone by) he innocently asked 'is that a pub'? Needless to say, Sligo guffaws at innocent Dubliner!:D

You beat me to O'Higgins!

I'll go with

Vol. Martin Savage
    Vol. Joe MacManus
    Vol. Kevin Coen.....and throw the Noble Six in for good measure.

notable sporting mentions for...

Sean "Well Buck" Fallon
    Vinny "El Terriblé" Feeney
    Paul "Ski" McGee
    Mark "No EPO here" Scanlon

My personal favourites are Harry Hallowes, John Jinks

and *cough*The Conway Sister*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was shocked to be served in the bank by one of The Conways.
    I've met the three Sligo Westlife lads (even seen Shanes pants:D), met Tabby too several times.
    Hubby saw Frank Waters in the Quayside a few weeks ago, but I don't think he's from Sligo.

Does he own Shoots?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

One of the Conway sisters works for the Sligo Weekender,or at least she used to anyways is always around town.

You don't see too many local celebrities around town too often. Don't blame them to be honest:P

1. Re don't see many local celebrities in town: only upsides eg Westlife -- if in your early 20s, in Toffs, quiet drunk, suffer a personality disorder and yet wish to chat up a ladyeeee -- begin the search for a signature on a beer soaked beer-mat. Alternatively to get Sandy Kelly's help with your shopping at Dunnes?

2. Re 'don't blame them' - is this as a result of 'You Tube clip re Yeats Grave - 'being open to the public all year round?' Didn't see that on the Yeats Trail - but I'm sure it's good for the Bram Stoker fans.

PS - Another Sligo connection - Sebastian Barry, the author -- Whereabouts of Enias McNulty (class Sligo based novel), Our Lady of Sligo and Secret Scriptures -- all based within the Shelly River City.

And Sligoman Mr Lonigan - the toughest cop in Oz --'black-balled' the famed outlaw Ned Kelly (and this didn't involve vetting membership to an exclusive cattle-rustling club) and it was his death upon which Outlaw Ned was sentenced to execution having shot Lonigan during the fatal Stringy Bark Creek battle!!!

What about Fingers Fingleton - Ireland's most loved banker -- my old china plate (hence Cockney rhyming is optional)!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

maybe fameous for the wrong reasons but Brendan Drumm, Michael Fingleton, dermot Mannion.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

I havent seen any famous people in Sligo... Of course you see the 3 members of Westlife every now and then but thats it. Met them loads too!:D

My reaction to meeting them is more like :( or:mad: instead of :D

Any dealing with them I've had, they have been incredibly rude and thinking the world should revolve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

bobcar61 wrote: »
    My reaction to meeting them is more like :( or:mad: instead of :D

Any dealing with them I've had, they have been incredibly rude and thinking the world should revolve them.

well it depends on how you come across to them! I never had any problems with them and I didnt meet them only once! Over that without Westlife Sligo wouldnt be it what it is now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

John Colleary from Ballisodare-Comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

tuppence wrote: »
    John Colleary from Ballisodare-Comedian.

What? He is so famous you have tell what he is? :D:D:D

I've never heard of him either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Janine87 wrote: »
    Over that without Westlife Sligo wouldnt be it what it is now!

WHAT!?
    WHY?
    WHEN?
    WHERE?
    WHO??????

how?

ER UM What?

Advertisement