Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well known people linked with Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

tuppence wrote: »
    John Colleary from Ballisodare-Comedian.

John's a funny guy but if you told him he was famous he would laugh at you tbh!

He's not even on the Z list (which is a good thing!!!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

elshambo wrote: »
    John's a funny guy but if you told him he was famous he would laugh at you tbh!

He's not even on the Z list (which is a good thing!!!)

You could say it was a bit of social experiment as was checking how famous he is. Also hoping if he wasnt might help! He is a funny guy and nice guy.
    Went to school with him. :o:D

For those who dont know him (or havent gone to school with him:rolleyes:), he has done Naked camera, radio and is currently doing a comedy skit with dave Mc Savage. (Was on RTE2 last nite)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

elshambo wrote: »
    WHAT!?
    WHY?
    WHEN?
    WHERE?
    WHO??????

how?

ER UM What?

lets be honest. they earned a lot of money and gave loads of it to Sligo. Thats a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pete2009

What about Captain Peter O'Connor who sailed the schooner Arethusa between New York and Ireland in the late 1700s, and named the American Coney Island after Sligo's Coney island. He was born and lived in Sligo.

And I guess if you are mentioning the X Factor contigency, surely the boys from both Those Nervous Animals and Hennigans Blooze Band would be way higher up the ratings. Genuine chart success and musicianship. And didnt one of the latter band play in Stocktons's wing?

And there's a few others I know who are legends, in their own lunchtime.

Aw well, Ship Ahoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Janine87 wrote: »
    lets be honest. they earned a lot of money and gave loads of it to Sligo. Thats a fact.

ssshhhh now! please stop embarrassing yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

but seriously, westlife are a fantasic band.. and they really do have talent esp shane and mark, as for kian well i say no more:eek:

any time i met them, i found them to be really nice lads and very down to earth,

all ye who's bitching are jelous :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think Dermot Mannion was born here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

rio-rose wrote: »
    but seriously, westlife are a fantasic band.. and they really do have talent esp shane and mark, as for kian well i say no more:eek:

any time i met them, i found them to be really nice lads and very down to earth,

all ye who's bitching are jelous :P :D

I'm far from jealous:) I think the fame has gone to their heads big time, I'm sure they are nice to their fans when meeting them but as customers....Well I will say no more.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I'm far from jealous:) I think the fame has gone to their heads big time, I'm sure they are nice to their fans when meeting them but as customers....Well I will say no more.

I've met 2 of them - one on a business level - he was very shy & wore a peaky cap. The other one, on a night out. Both of them were sound. One was awful fat at the time though. But that was 2 years ago, I reckon. He might have slimmed up since.

Dunno -they haven't made a record for years, thank fCUK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Michael Corcoran from Ballymote, who led the 69th Regiment of the Union Army into the battle of Bull Run in the American Civil War.

Kevin Gildea, comedian and starred in Fr. Ted as one of the priests on the plane. His sister Anne is in the Nualas. From Moylough near Tubbercurry.

Writer Patrick McCabe lives in Sligo, but is from Cavan. Steve Wickham, violinist, formerly of the Waterboys also lives in Sligo, but is from Dublin.

Mary O'Hara, traditonal and folk singer, famous in the 50s and 60s, is from Sligo. Her sister is Eunice in Fair city and she's also Sebastian Barry's aunt.

Bafta nominated actress, Noelle Middleton is from Sligo and is retired here. Worked from the 50s to the 70s, including starring in movies and television series with David Niven, Sid James, Bob Hope, Katherine Hepburn, John Mills and Harry H. Corbett. Didn't expect that, did you?:D.

Perry Blake is a Sligonian, is a singer/songwriter and very big in France as a soundtrack artist. Has played here a few times over the years. Perry Blake is a stagename. Can't remember his real name, but it's a common Sligo name as far as I remember.

Scott Fredericks (real name Frederick Wehrly) was in alot of 70s British televsions shows like Dr. Who, Z-Cars etc.

Lord Palmerston, British Prime Minister, although born in London, owned a large estate in North Sligo, commisioned the building of Classiebawn Castle, and built the harbour at Mullaghmore. There's a plaque on the end of the long pier which mentions him.

Some other links include Albert Reynolds, Longford (former Taoiseach) attending Sumerhill College, as did restaunteur and Great British Menu judge, Oliver Peyton, from Mayo. Another past pupil is Count John McCormack, famous tenor in the early part of the 20th century, from Athlone. Edward J.Flanagan, founder of Boy's Town, an organisation homing ophaned and neglected boys in the states, also attended Summerhill, although from Roscommon. Hence Father Flanagan Hall being the gym in Summerhill.

Mike Nielsen, jazz musician, is a past pupil of Sligo Grammar School and from Strandhill.

The Daniel Day Lewis connection I'm not sure about. I think his father, Cecil Day Lewis, famous in his own right as Poet Laureat, was from Ballintubbert, Co. Laois, often confused with Ballintogher.

With the others mentioned, it's not a bad list. Probably more too, but that's all I can think of for now.

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote: »
    Kevin Gildea, comedian and starred in Fr. Ted as one of the priests on the plane. From Moylough near Tubbercurry.

That is depressing!
    A quite horrid individual!

I've met 2 of them - one on a business level - he was very shy & wore a peaky cap. The other one, on a night out. Both of them were sound. One was awful fat at the time though. But that was 2 years ago, I reckon. He might have slimmed up since.

Dunno -they haven't made a record for years, thank fCUK

Thats because they are on a break since 10 months!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

'Alright Westlife' - Frank G to Jamie Mc G having bumped into him by accident

'what the F*ck do you mean?' - Jamie Mc G

'I mean bland, inoffensive, unchallenging' :pac: Frank G

origin of quote ?? - Frank Gallagher of Shameless to pretty boy Jamie McGuire

Not wishing to backseat mod -- but please people -- don't get dragged into a Westlife defence/attack. I mean, they are famous and wealthy, best of luck to them all -- but that doesn't necessarily equate to talent, originality or uniqueness -- or for that matter someone you particularly like.

It's a well known truism 'don't meet your heroes', the reason, you're very likely to be disappointed.

I know the Sligo Westies quite well and I, like others, could give you my chapter and verse. Can say negative things, but on this I won't -- keeping it positive and will say that, of the three, I have always found Shane quite a likeable, down-to-earth and determined young man.

Janine and Rio -- you are obviously fans - taste is subjective for all concerned.

Unfortunately there is a distinct difference between merit, ability and genius and that of the realm 'celebrity world' -- compared for example with the world of famous people, for eg WB Yeat (Noble Prize winner), Eva Gore-Booth (who hasn't been mentioned thus far) fighting for women's rights amongst the poorest of the poor and those will acumen far surpasses the ordinary.

Celebrity life is vacuous and trashy, imo. Despite my previous comment re Jodie Albert -- because of its transitory nature it a similar phenomena like god forbid Sligo or any other place become famous?? by association for the likes of say an Irish version of Chantelle of Big Brother.:eek: That's a laugh and certainly nothing I personally would associate myself with, unless of course she allowed me to manicure her toe-nails, fetch fluffy bath-robes and hold the reflection board during her photo-shoots.:D

This is a famous Sligonian-thread -- hey I have more time for my grandfather than 99% of the 'fame-ies' mentioned, so I'm really not bothered -- so let's try and keep it relatively on-point.

Another quote

'The BEST of Sligo men when sober CAN cite Yeats,
    But when drunk will quote their grandfather'!!

Anyways terra;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

cheers shellyriver. We really shouldn't be fighting over the artistic merits (or lack thereof) of Westlife - there are far more interesting things to talk about.

shellyriver I know okay! And yes I am a fan. Who cares ... I would not say I know them very well but I do know them a bit. That happes when you live in Sligo.

Anyways... about W.B. Yeats. I thought he was born in Sligo?

Michael Corcoran from Ballymote, who led the 69th Regiment of the Union Army into the battle of Bull Run in the American Civil War.

True Patriot -- when Prince of Wales wanted to inspect Irish Brigade he refused to let Irish soliders line up -- and was promptly chucked in slammer, only released with outbreak of US Civil War, became an Irish-American hero.

Kevin Gildea, comedian and starred in Fr. Ted as one of the priests on the plane. His sister Anne is in the Nualas. From Moylough near Tubbercurry.

The Mr Gildea, has a very strange accent and patter that is barely defined as wit -- his hideous specs are the most notable item about his personage.

Writer Patrick McCabe lives in Sligo, but is from Cavan. Steve Wickham, violinist, formerly of the Waterboys also lives in Sligo, but is from Dublin.

Pat McCabe -- did live on Pearse Rd, but I now think the Border Fox is resident in London.

Mary O'Hara, traditonal and folk singer, famous in the 50s and 60s, is from Sligo. Her sister is Eunice in Fair city and she's also Sebastian Barry's aunt.

Got there before ya, with Seb.

Bafta nominated actress, Noelle Middleton is from Sligo and is retired here. Worked from the 50s to the 70s, including starring in movies and television series with David Niven, Sid James, Bob Hope, Katherine Hepburn, John Mills and Harry H. Corbett. Didn't expect that, did you?:D.

This was on a previous famous Sligo thread -- not original.
    Perry Blake is a Sligonian, is a singer/songwriter and very big in France as a soundtrack artist. Has played here a few times over the years. Perry Blake is a stagename. Can't remember his real name, but it's a common Sligo name as far as I remember.

He is Gorman -- comes from Finisklin (no not the Dump). He went to Summerhill College.

Scott Fredericks (real name Frederick Wehrly) was in alot of 70s British televsions shows like Dr. Who, Z-Cars etc.

Tony Werhly's daughter is continuing the family tradition being a news hottie on RTE spoof-TV news comedy (ripped off Brass Eye imo), with pap John Ryan -- but good show.

Lord Palmerston, British Prime Minister, although born in London, owned a large estate in North Sligo, commisioned the building of Classiebawn Castle, and built the harbour at Mullaghmore. There's a plaque on the end of the long pier which mentions him.

Lord Pam -- built Classie Bawn as a TB clinic for his ailing son, true fact.

Some other links include Albert Reynolds, Longford (former Taoiseach) attending Sumerhill College, as did restaunteur and Great British Menu judge, Oliver Peyton, from Mayo. Another past pupil is Count John McCormack, famous tenor in the early part of the 20th century, from Athlone. Edward J.Flanagan, founder of Boy's Town, an organisation homing ophaned and neglected boys in the states, also attended Summerhill, although from Roscommon. Hence Father Flanagan Hall being the gym in Summerhill.

Does anyone know who the dumbest pupil ever in Summerhill -- now there is a list to infinity and beyond.

Mike Nielsen, jazz musician, is a past pupil of Sligo Grammar School and from Strandhill.

Well known in jazz circles, but not my jazz.

The Daniel Day Lewis connection I'm not sure about. I think his father, Cecil Day Lewis, famous in his own right as Poet Laureat, was from Ballintubbert, Co. Laois, often confused with Ballintogher.

Yes and his mother was a Polish Jewess -- but he was a damn fine Boxer in ehhm 'The Boxer'.

With the others mentioned, it's not a bad list. Probably more too, but that's all I can think of for now.

What's that I heard in Bill's Corner Shop from Rosie about Self-Praise. That's right its sh***e.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I always knew he was better than Pitt the Elder :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

That's Olga Wehrly, shellyriver. She was also in one of the "who's taking the horse to France?", butter ads a couple of years ago.

I think I may have mentioned Noelle Middleton on a famous Sligo people thread before, but it's no harm reiterating that we have a connection to the golden age of movies amongst us.

Nobody has mentioned Indian. They were very nearly famous, bu were at least of note. Christy, Martin, Joe and the lads would be very disappointed if they were reading this:(:D

Ah yes. Bill's Shop. A font us wisdom and no better place to hear people being taken down a peg or two:D

Janine87 wrote: »
    shellyriver I know okay! And yes I am a fan. Who cares ... I would not say I know them very well but I do know them a bit. That happes when you live in Sligo.

Anyways... about W.B. Yeats. I thought he was born in Sligo?
    no & everyone thinks he was, he was born in dublin, he spent his childhood in sligo.. he loved this place so much, he always related it to his home

Yep he was born in Sandymount Co.Dublin and was educated in Dublin and London.As rio-rose said he admired the place so much, he referred to it in a lot of his work and was also buried here.

• Advertisement

I prefer Jack B. Yeats over William, any day - W.B. is an over-rated, pompous poet. Jack was an excellent painter./

I prefer Jack B. Yeats over William, any day - W.B. is an over-rated, pompous poet. Jack was an excellent painter./
    Some say his writings were better as well, havent read them yet so...?

Was working in a shop in Dublin a few years ago
    got the
    "Were u from......aaaah , Yeats county....WB Yeats etc"
    from a wannabee arty type

As workin class and sullen as i could, i replied
    "meh, always prefered Jack meeeself!" ...Dirty look off patronising arty type

Woman behind here, actual arty type, rec'd her from somewhere, smiled, leaned over and said "your quite right, WB was over rated and Jack was a genius":) walked out giggling to herself

quote by their father
    "Some day I shall be remembered as the father of a great poet, and the poet is Jack."

Yeah, like I said earlier Jackie Boy developed a 'Sligo Walk' and Accent in London -- pity a lot of other pompous individuals didn't have a little more pride in their Sligo ancestry and origins -- and it mightn't suffer from the identity crisis it has been paralysed for over 200 years.

Anyways - I'm going to knock this Dublin/Sligo-Yeats thing on head --

1st -- This G-Grandfather, Parson Yeats, was Rector out in Drumcliff was also a member of Town Council in Sligo -- and like all good grandfathers lovws g-g's and left a nice wine bill for the family when he died.
    2nd -- This Grandfather Yeats, was born and raised in Drumcliffe before moving to Moira, County Down.
    3rd -- His father John (another true genius) was married in Sligo to his Sligo born mother Susan Pollexfen of Union Street and later Merville House / lived in Sligo and holidayed in Enniscrone.
    4th -- His maternal grandmother, Ms Middleton has connections with Sligo going back hundreds of years!
    5th - The Yeats, Middleton and Pollexfen families were all over the Barony of Carbury, from the Borough, Rathbraughan, Ballisodare (I know its in Leyney) Rosses Point and Drumcliffe, and as far afield as Dromahair (Basically anywhere near Lough Gill).

Said it before -- re born in a stable -- Yeats's first love (both Jack and WB) was the Shelly River City etc, his first and best known writings were developed in its bosom / Jack could mix with Hillers in the 1880s looking over into the Pool at Barton Smiths while fishing there and said he wished he had spent more time amongst them.

Once you know you're history -- you don't need to bleat / hence Sligo's laid back and non-chalant attittude to this great family.

WE SHOULD HAVE A STATUE TO JACK YEATS IN THIS BOROUGH.

It was his spiritual home -- and he definitely got as much from Sligo as he bestowed upon it.

We are surely taking this to the extreme,there is loads of people on the list that I've never heard of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Ciaran Gormon, ( real fav of John Kelly )if I have it right....who now lives in Leitrim. ;) Nice guy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

maisie mc daniel - country and western singer, she was a neighbor of mine and she was a lovely woman, always had a hello for you when ever u met her, she died last year. a garda reversed into my car while trying to move out of the way so an ambulance could get into so try and resusatate her, i told him not to worry about the damages on the car after i found out the reason he hit it, you could tell he was really embarresed about it though

also the name of coney island is disputable http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island

Gino -- fair enough re poor Maise but don't let your feelings get in the way of big cash pay outs;)

Re Old Peter O'Connor -- quite true, was going to tell it go, but Mr O'Conner of Cairnsfort House, wasn't a salty sea-dog rather a mercantile land-lubber, who lived throughout 19thC with a saw-mill at site of Bus Eireann Depot, and many interests aside.

The name was reputed to have been given to New York's Coney Island by a Capt Carey from the Arethusa, I believe -- but if you do your etymology, I believe, you'll quickly discovered Coney (even in Irish, Coinin) a species and word which was introduced to these shores by the fearsome yet civilising Normans -- is of Dutch origin, and the old Finger-Sticker Inner Race were there in New Amsterdam, in its modern sense, before 'the Red Man# (not Red Indians -- I know thats not PC) what I mean is us Paddies.

But like most of the people of Boards, some subscribe to the view of why let the truth get in the way of a good yard.

So history pirates, before ye plunder the depth's of Davy Jones' historical Sligo locker, beware you have got to check your ARRRRRR:Dchives

bobcar61 wrote: »
    We are surely taking this to the extreme,there is loads of people on the list that I've never heard of.
    excatly bobcar, i haven a clue of the majority of these people, but interesting all the same

Go on Rio -- burst our little bubble with your omnipotent knowledge.

What an ill-informed comment to say 'extreme' -- fair enough, some of the people listed are more accurately, people with a Sligo connection and aren't on the Dole.

Also, Rio, you kicked off this little thread, it's on a Sligo board, so it hardly seems appropriate to agree its 'extreme'.:confused:

Could be facetious and say that fame is something that is relative, for example somebody how invented the Gas Lamp is famous -- just because you don't know his name (without resorting to a quick google) is hardly the point.

Just enjoy it:)

• Advertisement

Actually it was me who said this was getting fairly extreme. I hope that's alright you with.

When I say it's getting fairly extreme, I mean that some people seem to be trying really hard to find some famous people from Sligo and and are going fairly down the line of connections in terms of relations from Sligo and how far back they date.

Next we will be naming people that their mothers, ex boyfriends fathers first wife's childminders sister was from Sligo.
    Ok maybe not that bad but alot of these people are hardly "famous" or household names.

Advertisement