Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would my site be worth anything if I wanted to sell it?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 7:30pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

HeyI set up a few sites a few years ago, the main one being www.digital.dj - a site totally dedicated to the digital side of DJing. I was delighted to be able to get the domain, and its expensive over €100 a year to maintain. Gets 3,000-5,000 unique hits a month but I have done very little with it in a good while. I've never put advertising on it but there is good potential. Also have a message board on it but its not hugely active.

I put a massive amount of work into it in the beginning but now I just don't have the time to maintain it. I'd like to pass it on to someone who would like to build it into something great. If I was to sell it, would I get much for it? Certainly not looking for anything ridiculous. The domain name alone I think is pretty special - to the right person obviously.

Another option would not to sell it but to try to build it up - what I originally wanted out of this was an active community. I'd like to be to try to get a kind of partner - we both work on building it back up, traffic, members forum activity - i'd be happy to let him take any profit from advertising - or I'd be open to any other ideas of what they would want to get out of it for themselves. Is this ever done? Would probably be very hard to find someone.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Hi Zascar,
    I understand 100% where you are coming from as I have explored the same routes myself. Its a difficult one because obviously you value the domain, site and effort put in to date yet 99.9% of potential buyers (if you can find any) will be interested in hard cold facts-i.e how many visitors and how much does it make. Its very difficult to sell a site based on the potential you feel it has from my experience.

Few options-one is start scouring around for companies/people you feel could be interested and let them know its for sale. This is a slow route and may not bear fruit at all but may be worth a shot.

Check out SEDO.com where you can list a domain/site for sale. Also see www.irishwebmasterforum.com where they have a small section for the same. There are plenty of other similar sites out there if you do a Google search.

Lastly as you mentioned explore a possible partnership with someone that has the required skills, knowledge and interest to bring the site to the next level. Good luck!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks DW

You are right, a website is like a business and people wil want to see the numbers.
    Maybe I could find someone who is willing to help build it up, then we could get it profitable and lots of traffic, and then sell it and split the profits!!

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

how much money is it making you?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

None, I do not have any advertising on the site.

However, in the past I have used it to get freebies from manufacturers and clubs. I got a free mixer worth €250 once!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Put some Google Ads on it and see if you generate revenue. If you're generating revenue then maybe you can change your attitude to it and work on it in some way part-time.

I think this is a good niche site that has a lot of potential to monetize visitor traffic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement