Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a deposit back

• 19-04-2009 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I gave my letting agency a notice. Everything seemed fine until now when it comes to paying back the deposit. From the way they talked to me looks they will be at least delaying if not trying to keep it or withhold some parts under whatever reason.
    I have also heard stories about this agent not paying the deposit back , wish I known sooner.
    I spoke to threshold advisors, they asked me a million questions and finally said I was alright. And I am allowed to get my deposit back in full, unless there are any damages (there’s no whatsoever – I honestly think it’s actually in a better condition, because when we first took it was extremely dirty).
    Anyway they advised that if I expect any problems I should:
    - take pics of absolutely everything, including fridge (inside, outside), empty bin, clean windows, walls, bed, well basically every single thing – make sure there’s a date on them and that this is on the day of the inspection
    - get someone during final inspection so that there are witnesses.
    I’m going to try to get to know who the actual landlord is, I only know his name – just in case this could help.
    I just want to prepare myself for anything that could happen, I seriously didn’t expect this letting agency to act so unprofessionally, so any ideas what else I need to do to protect myself?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xteemer

Just one more question: what is more efficient in case: PRTB or small claims court?
    Thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

Get a letter from your local lawyer demanding your deposit back .It might cost you €50 but it will be worth the time and your money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

A few years back I went through the small claims court to get a deposit back. It took me about 8 months but I got it back in the end. I believe you now have to go through the PRTB though.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Just over a year ago, I had a horrible experience with a letting agency that kept €1000 to "repaint" the house, have it professionally cleaned (when I'd already paid a cleaning company to spend six hours cleaning the place to an immaculate standard) and other associated items that were certainly NOT my responsibility as a tenant. My only error was trusting them to behave professionally and I did not have the foresight to take photos of the condition of the property when I arrived and left, so I would absolutely recommend you take photos of EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

Did you get your money back in the end?

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for your replies. I will defenitely take pictures of everything.
    I think if things get deleyd I will try with the lawyer, they actually asked me if I had any legal advise...

I was lucky because I was able to find the apartment owner contact details so I could even try calling this guy if nothing else works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Communicationb

Went renting a place with my buddy about 2 years ago. To cut a long story short we had to leave after 2 months (problems with sewerage and bad smells..not our fault building works had to be carried out)

Place was immaculate as we cldnt live there because of smell...in fact not even one meal was cooked there.

The letting agents tried to do us for €450.00 to clean the place...utter BS.

I kicked up a huge fuss..demanded to see the cleaning bill for €450.00.

After a few strongly worded emails..it was passed up the chain...they eventually said no more about it and gave back the €450.00..

Bttm line...dont let this go...kick up and hound them..they will relent...they assume that we are all suckers and will just accept anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

How long are you waiting on your deposit to be refunded?

Are you entitled to it back??

Sometimes letting agents give your deposit to the landlord and the letting agent has to wait for the landlord to return it to you.

Sometimes it is totally out of the letting agents control and then other times they are just pr!cks on power trips!

I haven't left the aparatment yet, just making sure I prepare myself for some common tricks.
    Yes I am entitled to get it back.
    Hopefully it will all work fine...
    I was thinking that there should be a way for us tenants to check landlords/agents too. Something like references but from tenants...

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Note that the landlord can NOT keep any of your deposit for "cleaning". Only for damage above normal wear and tear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Searlait

I recently had a nightmare getting my deposit back, through a letting agent. It was the landlord who was the problem, throwing up all these complaints which really boiled down to wear and tear.

I fought them on every point they raised with us, never giving them an inch, never admitting fault (because I was not at fault, we left the place spotless, and spent ages cleaning the place from top to toe), and kept demanding my deposit back. They kept coming back with more and more things they wanted replaced or professionally cleaned (things that were broken before we got there, or was basic wear and tear, or they wanted us to have a gardener sort out the garden, the list goes on!!)

Eventually, I spoke to the letting agent and said that I'd spoken with my solicitor (I hadn't!) and said if they hadn't my full deposit back in 3 days I would be handing all matters over to my solicitor who would take an action fairly promptly if my full deposit was not returned shortly.

This was sent to my letting agent by email at 5.00, the next morning at 10:00I had an email from the letting agent to say that the full deposit would be transferred to my account that day.

Landlords/Letting agents like this will just take you for as long as they can, but going through solicitors will be more expensive to them, so they may as well give you your deposit back.

All the same though, I did have a solicitor, friend of mine, who I was going to use if it became necessary.

Advertisement