Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marathon training distances-help

• 19-04-2009 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi there,

I am currently training for the Cork Marathon and have been doing so for the past few months. Recently Ive picked up a knee injury from the constant impact which has stopped me doing more than 15miles and then it starts to hurt,but have been doing say 22 to 30 miles altogether over the week instead, I have a physio apointment during the week, but am worried if I cant do the race now and all the training is gone to waste. I really need to start doing the 20 miles soon or so I have been told, is it true?

Ive seen the gel insoles that are available has anyone ever used these for this reason?
    Either wat Ill have to wait for the physios advice but want to try and put my mind at ease

Cheers for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

First, don't over worry, there are still 6 or 7 weeks to go before the Cork marathon. It is best to miss few training days than not to be able to take the start of the race.
    You did the right thing getting an appointment with physio this week.
    Bring your running shoes with you as he/she'll able to get info from wear on sole.
    In the time, take a rest from running, if you can, may be go swimming. It is amazing how the body recovers in just few days.
    I really need to start doing the 20 miles soon or so I have been told, is it true?
    Are you not following a specific training plan like these?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

its prob best to wait and see what the physio says

in the mean time you could do some cycling at a high cadence to keep the fitness up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 newie

911sc wrote: »
    Are you not following a specific training plan like these?

Ya thats the one Im trying to stick to but the lads who Im doing it with have put the doubts in me by saying that I prob wont be able for it etc.

Cheers Ill prob stick to the weights and bike for the week and see what the physio says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

newie wrote: »
    the lads who Im doing it with have put the doubts in me by saying that I prob wont be able for it

That should motivate you to prove them wrong... stay focus and believe in yourself, see what the physio says, adjust training accordingly, change shoes if necessary (though getting close to drace day),... and go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I had the exact same problems about 5 weeks ago, I was crippled with knee pain. I went to my local physio, rested for 2 weeks, changed runners and I haven't had any pain since.

I know this might not be the same for you but I just thought that it might give you some hope. The physio should sort you out in time for Cork.

Keep us posted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement