Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Triail

Options
  • 19-04-2009 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

im doing an triail for the lc this yr.. how r ye finding it?
    im trying to re read it!
    so the basic story is about the trial of maire's sucide and the babys murder? who is to blame?????
    what i found interesting is that everyone says something like ná bí ag chur millean orm!!!
    but they are all to blame in some way????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

ok im confused!!!!!!!!
    is padraig a nasty character? does he already have a wife who is dying?
    thats what i thought i read but i just came to a part and he gives maire a ring and says now we are married??:confused:
    ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

hiya yeah thats the basic gist of it, we dont know she committed suicide we just think its about the baby's murder,
    Padraig was a nasty piece of work he stands for hypocrisy, he is a pillar of society even though he is married and seducing young women, he knows maire is catholic so he gives her the ring and says right we are married in front of god so what we have is beautiful not deceptive so put out,(in the crudest explanation of this) he says its not a sin to shag me now because we are married. at end when she shows him their daughter he calls her a striapach (prostitute) and runs off, which is hypocritical since he is now remarried and after molly for her services
    the writer knew someone who was booted out because she got pregnant and this story is about the treatment of single mothers by catholic church (priest refuses to absolve her sins unless she names and shames, also sean is kicked out) people narrow minded (cúngaigeanach) i think thats the spelling anyway
    everyone is guilty because they are too bothered about themselves to help her, the only person who shows christian charity is molly the stripper, the "immoral, unclean" person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

thanks! i actually liked that story:cool:.. i read it cover to cover.
    i must start practicing exam paper questions now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭blahblahblah.

i saw the play

it was epic!!!

but the stroy is easy and to wirght about etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

kueef wrote: »
    who is to blame?????

The blame lies with the society of the time.
    The Church occupied an extremely powerful position and imposed its morals and double standards on every aspect of Irish life.
    That's why single mothers were so marginalised...it was seen as a shameful, sinful thing.
    And that's what provoked Maire to kill herself and her baby.
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement