Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to triggering condensation extractor fan using light switch?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Is it possible to trigger a condensation extractor fan when a shower starts running? (ie some sort of pressure sensor) The shower would be fed from a hot/cold pump that feeds other showers in the house. I don't like the idea of the fan always coming on becase the light is switched on.

Thanks,
    LK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

LeperKing wrote: »
    Is it possible to trigger a condensation extractor fan when a shower starts running? (ie some sort of pressure sensor) The shower would be fed from a hot/cold pump that feeds other showers in the house. I don't like the idea of the fan always coming on becase the light is switched on.

Thanks,
    LK.

Yea a pressure switch should do the job, but there might be some messing/adjustment to set it up..... you could also just pop in a relay, so the fan will only start if the light is on & the pump kicks in, its not a perfect but would help some what....

It is probably a waste to have the fan running when the light is on, will also reduce the life of the fan.. .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A simple option is to buy a humidity switch. This will ensure that the fan runs when needed, and stops when not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Thanks guys, I just wanted to be sure when asking the plumber/electrician I wasn't asking for something thats never done before.

Which is the more the popular solution? Humidty switch or pressure change detection?

LK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Interested in a similar sensor myself...is there a way to also run/overide the sensor should there be an unwanted smell lets say in the loo??:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Which is the more the popular solution? Humidty switch or pressure change detection?
    There is no right or wrong here. It is up to you.
    is there a way to also run/overide the sensor should there be an unwanted smell lets say in the loo??
    This could be done electricaly simply enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

2011 wrote: »
    There is no right or wrong here. It is up to you.

Fair enough, but would you know the pros/cons to either solution.

IE. Please correct if I'm wrong here...

Pressure sensor
    Pros:
    Works straightaway once the shower is on.
    Cons:
    Tricky/Expensive to setup.

Humidity switch
    Pros:
    Will react to any source of humidity ie bath, washhand basin etc
    Cons:
    Would local weather conditions affect its sensitivity?

LK.

Pressure sensor
    Pros:
    Works straightaway once the shower is on.
    True, but do you really want this??
    The pressure switch would activate when a pressure drop is experienced on the hot pipe that supplies the shower (just after the pump). A pressure drop does not mean that there is an issue with steam/humidity, it means the shower is on and a humdity problem may (or may not) develop in a few minutes.
    Humidity switch
    Pros:
    Will react to any source of humidity ie bath, washhand basin etc
    True.
    Would local weather conditions affect its sensitivity?
    No. They would not be set that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Fans are available with humidistats from Vortice and other fan manufacturers. so that would be fairly straight forward to wire up

Advertisement