Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Agric Buildings

• 19-04-2009 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Wondered if anyone has had there outbuilding painted recently. Looking to get them done this year and hoped you may be able to share your experience and approximated costs. I've got quiet alot of work, 3 haybarns, cow shed, 4 bay cattle shed and two 2 bay leanways.. no idea how to measure this in sq meters :(

Also, looking to get your opinions on Teamac Red Oxide Metal Primer and Syn Oxide if it proves to be too expensive and I'll get at it myself. Plan to powerwash the existing and single coat should be sufficent as the existing paint is still good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 FarmerBarleymow

I got Castle oxide paint from a company called Magenta Direct. Did about 40ft x 15ft per 20ltr drum. Grand stuff, decent price. Got a corrugated roller too which helped. Don't know what colours they have but i got green and red and they seemed to be the standard shade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

An even better way of doing it is a soft bristled sweeping brush and brush it in well. You will cover a lot of roof in a day. Don't skimp on paying for paint either. The more you pay, the longer it will last.

Whatever you do, don't get those guys who advertise on teh Farmers Journal. They spray paint - they buy the cheapest paint possible and mix it with diesel to get it thin enough to go through their sprayer. Lasts only a couple of years max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 FarmerBarleymow

I tried a brush but was never happy with the cover I got. Roller put it on nice and even and I got enough cover per tin to keep me happy. Only paid about €75.00 for 20 litres and it's quality stuff...no diesel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

reilig wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't get those guys who advertise on teh Farmers Journal. They spray paint - they buy the cheapest paint possible and mix it with diesel to get it thin enough to go through their sprayer. Lasts only a couple of years max.

I wouldn't dismiss spraying altogether. That said, forget the guys who dilute the paint in any way. A contractor near us uses a large compressor which he tows behind him for spraying. He's able to use galoxide without diluting it. It's only now, 10 years later that we'll need re-do the sheds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I tried a brush but was never happy with the cover I got. Roller put it on nice and even and I got enough cover per tin to keep me happy. Only paid about €75.00 for 20 litres and it's quality stuff...no diesel!

I have tried both roller and brush. Found the roller to be very easy on paint, but found the brushed paint lasts longer. It has been a while though since I used the roller. Maybe they have better corrigated rollers than they had 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flan46

Wondered if anyone has had there outbuilding painted recently. Looking to get them done this year and hoped you may be able to share your experience and approximated costs. I've got quiet alot of work, 3 haybarns, cow shed, 4 bay cattle shed and two 2 bay leanways.. no idea how to measure this in sq meters :(

Also, looking to get your opinions on Teamac Red Oxide Metal Primer and Syn Oxide if it proves to be too expensive and I'll get at it myself. Plan to powerwash the existing and single coat should be sufficent as the existing paint is still good.

i do spray painting and could give you a quote. spray painting with
    right paint will last for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

What you could/should use to spray it is an airless sprayer.

These come in 2 types usually , powered by air or electricity.

The air powered ones will need an aircompressor to power them .

Next question : why is it airless if it uses air ?

It uses air ( or electricity ) to move a piston up and down inside a cylinder .

Very similar idea to those very old style water pumps with the handle at the side .

You need to be careful using them , if you spray across your bare hand it may inject the paint through your skin , you may need amputation.

Don't look at the nozzle either , even with the pump powered down , the line will hold pressure for a while.

If you are not used to spraying , keeping a steady pace can tire you out easily because you're not " working against " anything , just moving over and back , so you need to keep alert .

If you have someone there with you , they need to be the type that doesn't keep distracting you if you get what I mean .

Hire companies can be slow to keep them or hire them for two main reasons :

A ) the danger of injury listed above
    B) people don't flush out the line when they are finished .

companies get sick of replacing lines and listening to moaning about lost fingers fairly quickly thus ruining it for everyone.

This is the SORT of thing i'm on about :

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100634345&langId=-1&catalogId=10053#specs

3000psi may not be enough for the type of paint , you may need 66:1 or 80:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 1974

flan46 wrote: »

What part of the country are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flan46

1974 wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in?
    i live in galway and my partner lives in donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

flan46 wrote: »

Sorry to be cutting in on your thread but after hearing about the diesel heros above .....

how about this ( if both of ye would be happy with it ! ) :

Take a few photos before & after

Make a "sticky" thread at the top of this forum "Services (with references/recommendations/pics etc )"

Post up the photos with contact info .

• Advertisement
Advertisement