Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling cost query

Options
  • 19-04-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

How much should i expect to pay to tile a kitchen floor approx 24 sq feet. there are tiles already there so they'll have to come up. have just bought my first place so trying to figure out if i can afford it. any advice appreciated......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Are you talking 24 sq feet or 24 sq yards.

The price will vary for location, removal of old tiles,preparation of surface and the type of tile you are putting down. Have you sellected a type of tile so a tiler could give you a realistic quote.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mulmulcahy

errm im not sure. they worked it out in the tile shop for me. the measurements of the kitchen are 21ft x 11ft so maybe its sq feet? i have chosen shiny porclein tiles. apologies for my complete cluelessness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

That's closer to 240 square feet! Surely a tiler would be able to give you some idea over the phone, or a no obligation quote - especially in this day and age - but don't forget you'll have to buy adhesive and grout as well as the tiles, and pay the tiler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

25 a sq mtr plus vat would be closer to what you should be paying and the job should take about 3 or 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

1000 Euro cash depanding on how good or bad the floor is will do it.

I am not sure where you live but I used a lad based in stamullen. His work is v.good and he tells you too much which I liked. PM me if you want his number.

• Advertisement

I would estimate based on information given that the job would cost in and around the 40/45 per metre making it approx €1600 /€1800 and it would certainly not take 3-4 hours, it would be much longer than that with the sealing of tiles buffing and grouting and finishing of the porcelain.Cash does always reduce the price but no decent tiler will work as cheap as that for all the work involved with these type of tiles.

B

I would estimate based on information given that the job would cost in and around the 40/45 per metre making it approx €1600 /€1800 and it would certainly not take 3-4 hours, it would be much longer than that with the sealing of tiles buffing and grouting and finishing of the porcelain.Cash does always reduce the price but no decent tiler will work as cheap as that for all the work involved with these type of tiles.

B

I agree but think that a good tiler will do it for a grand cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Vtiling

hi,
    It could be around €700 +/- some pounds. it is realistic estimation. not any thousands. But of course it has to be seen first. Busy at present but u could pm for details. Where are u based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

€1000 for 3 or 4 hours work.... i though them days were long gone.
    Whatever price you are given ask how long it will take. Even if it takes a day, should a tiler be making 5 grand a week or even half that???

A skilled tiler can make what he/she wants to make,
    Each job is different and there are huge differences in time, surface preparation,amount of labour, cutting, types of tools, and materals to be used. You simply cannot come up with a measurement of say 10 square yards and get the same price for laying porcelain as you would for prefinished ceramic rubbish from some diy chain.
    For the above job you are talking days, as in the tiles will go down quite quickly and set quickly but, there is huge finishing time involved with these tiles and no tiler can afford to sit around in between coats of sealer, cleaning of grout,sealing and re cleaning before a finish coat, so several revists must be planned. I think some people think tradesmen just come up with a number and double it.

B

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

PM Terry over in AH..he's a tiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Vtiling

I agree each job is different. But for 25 sq y I wouldnt charge 1600-1800 or so at all. For that price we have done big kitchen, hall, sunroom and living room all in polished porcelain. For 40 per sq y we usually do mosaic. But its true, some people dont know what they are talking about (3-4 hours or a day...)
    A skilled tiler can make what he/she wants to make,
    Each job is different and there are huge differences in time, surface preparation,amount of labour, cutting, types of tools, and materals to be used. You simply cannot come up with a measurement of say 10 square yards and get the same price for laying porcelain as you would for prefinished ceramic rubbish from some diy chain.
    For the above job you are talking days, as in the tiles will go down quite quickly and set quickly but, there is huge finishing time involved with these tiles and no tiler can afford to sit around in between coats of sealer, cleaning of grout,sealing and re cleaning before a finish coat, so several revists must be planned. I think some people think tradesmen just come up with a number and double it.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 woof.ie

First of all based on the measurements the area you have including cuts (allow extra 10%) is 24 sq meters. Depending on where you are based the price will vary but anywhere outside of dublin the price should be no more than €480 cash for the fitting of the tiles. The preparation is impossible to tell without seeing the job

I work with an online tile retailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Abr

Mulmachy,

Was posting on different topic and seen your question.We had a tiler do work for us and paid cheap the finish was terrible so we got our kitchen floor done and got the bathroom replaced called aa tiling services they were excellent. There website is www.aatilingservices.ie they have loads of references ,quality tilers ,ighly recommended:)

Abr wrote: »
    Mulmachy,

Was posting on different topic and seen your question.We had a tiler do work for us and paid cheap the finish was terrible so we got our kitchen floor done and got the bathroom replaced called aa tiling services they were excellent. There website is www.aatilingservices.ie they have loads of references ,quality tilers ,ighly recommended:)

Hi Abr

You would do far more for yourself by just plain advertising the fact that you are aatilingservices instead of trying to bluff people. We are not daft you know its obvious you are touting!

Advertisement