Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp c&c

• 19-04-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hello all..

It's been a while, but I finally got back in the photographic saddle last week, love it just as much as ever! Took these pics in a concentration camp outside of Berlin, would love your input. There's plenty more in my pix.ie if you click on the images.

B6AA832A1211478E87B782CB1A8A3F9A-500.jpg

1240ED9F139E4FCD96FB72D93B2BA5DB-500.jpg

F3E915B03BCC4401B690C59DE9A35860-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Really love the first picture!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The 1st is nearly brilliant for me but the ratio of sides is of such an odd size. The curvature of the urinals combined with the bland uniformity of the space demand either a golden ratio rectangle or square croppping.

The present cropping is too intrusive to the gentle pathos of the content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

draffodx wrote: »
    Really love the first picture!

Thank you.. who'd have thought urinals would be my favourite pic of the day? ;)

humberklog wrote: »
    The 1st is nearly brilliant for me but the ratio of sides is of such an odd size. The curvature of the urinals combined with the bland uniformity of the space demand either a golden ratio rectangle or square croppping.

The present cropping is too intrusive to the gentle pathos of the content.

Thanks so much for the feedback.. I cropped it as you see above because I thought the dark corner (bottom left) added to the atmosphere of the picture.. cropped off the top because the blinds had writing on them which detracted from the image. I'll have a play with crops and see how they look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I quite like the shape/crop of the 1st one, will be interesting to see how it can be improved*

*Newbie opinion

• Advertisement

Ok, tried a couple of different crops -

1590B728AFFD4AE694ABC1A11DC237C0-500.jpg

C45C9E386406462DB368DA262827C048-500.jpg

The square is interesting.. I gotta say, though, I still prefer the elongated one. Total rookie opinion, mind you, I just know what I like :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Could you pop the original un-cropped image up?

Although it is indeed a smart photo it doesn't convey a sense of placed.
    It's more Marcel Duchamp as opposed to Nazi concentration camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Nice work!!
    I like the lighting.

Personally; I liked the third photo in your set.
    I imagine the rooms were small and it was difficult to maneuver around to get more angles.

I was a bit confused as to why there would be such modern looking urinals in a German concentration camp.. so I went to wikipedia and looked up "Sachsenhausen concentration camp".. Interesting article!

(There were also more photos in the article)

..which then led me to look up the history of urinals..
    (yes; I was that bored)
    ..which brought me to this site:
    http://www.urinal.net/
    that has photos of "The Top 10 Most Fascinating Urinals" in the world.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

alexandros wrote: »
    ..which brought me to this site:
    Enjoy!

I stayed at the hotel in Amsterdam that came in fifth (didn't see those urinals though, must have been in the bar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

alexandros wrote: »
    Enjoy!
    #5 (Kisses) is the same as the urinals in Massimo's in Galway City. :p

I really like the first photo too op, prefer the crop you uploaded in your initial post...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Great shots. Would you consider converting them to B&W?

A buddy of mine took some images of a concentration camp [can't remeber which one] some years back & he shot them all in B&W. It was, to me, a better contrast than colour. It looked more stark & real.

humberklog wrote: »
    Could you pop the original un-cropped image up?

Although it is indeed a smart photo it doesn't convey a sense of placed.
    It's more Marcel Duchamp as opposed to Nazi concentration camp.

At your service.. by the by, your posts keep making me have to google stuff :) I feel so stoopid :)

247832FEE79A4BC9AE853D1F4DA6B6C1-500.jpg

Advertisement