Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regret leaving school early

Options
  • 19-04-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I left secondary school when I was 15, my anxiety was so bad I wasn't able to go.I'm now 20 and regret not doing my leaving cert :mad: I did 2 home study courses, child care and child psychology.

Do you think I should maybe go back and do it? Or find something else to do that I don't need a leaving cert for? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I left secondary school when I was 15, my anxiety was so bad I wasn't able to go.I'm now 20 and regret not doing my leaving cert :mad: I did 2 home study courses, child care and child psychology.

Depends what you want to become profession wise. I'd recommend you do it anyway tbh
    Do you think I should maybe go back and do it? Or find something else to do that I don't need a leaving cert for? Thanks

Depends what you want to become profession wise.

I'd recommend you do it anyway tbh. Are u thinkin of doin 2 years or just do 2 yrs of work in one year(which is doable)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 iSoap

Army? I knew a few who dropped out, and that was their first choice. Of course I think returning to school as a mature student would be the best choice, if it's affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

There is an embargo on recruiting in the Defence Forces until the end of 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

There's this thing called the National Framewoek of Qualifications, whereby various degrees/certificates/diplomas are assigned a certain number:
    fan_lrg.gif

As you can see, the Leaving Cert is either 4 or 5 (probably depending on how many passes or honours you get I assume). There are other FETAC courses you could do which would give you the same qualification level as the Leaving Cert and you'd probably be more interested in.

I've just done some quick searches, and apparently there are some courses you don't need the LC for. Now I don't know where you live, so I'm just going to give examples from Dublin, but if you say where you're from I might be able to find something nearer.

Kylemore College does a Childcare course, only entry requirements are being over 16: http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=32273&CSH_ID=18

Dundrum College of Further Education does a Caring for Children aged 0-6 course, again you just have to be over 16: http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=6324&CSH_ID=18&AdvancedKeyword=

Childcare in Ballyfermot College of Further Education- you need five passes in the LC to do this, but it says normal entry requirements may be waived for mature students (which in this case are 21+) so if you can hold out til you're 21 you might get in. It also seems to cover more than the other childcare courses and there are no fees.

You're interested in Child psychology so you might be interested in this course:

Child Development in Dundrum College of Further Education

There's a full list of courses around the country here

If you do a FETAC level 5 course, which would be the equivalent to a good leaving Cert you can go on to do a level 6 course, and from there you might be able to do an ordinary Level 7 degree.

EDIT: I've made the massive assumption that you're still interested in childcare. If it's something else you want to do then sorry for the long and useless post!

Good Luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

you can get into courses as a mature student when you are 23 - as far as I know, you send in an application form, and they ask you to write a number of essays so that they can see you can actually do the work. Not sure if this is accurate for all courses in all colleges!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 nerak1984

go back and do it youve nothing to loose plus so many teachers will be loosing their jobs youl get good grinds for cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

if you want to go back then go back..why ask tho opinion of people on an internet forum thats just stupid

Advertisement