Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Bold vs iPhone 3g

• 20-04-2009 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Right so I am due for upgrade in the next few weeks. I currently have a Blackberry 8310. I am torn between the Blackberry Bold and the iPhone 3G. As far as I can see there are the following issues I need to consider which I will list. If anyone has anything further I'd be glad to hear it.

1. Blackberry has the push email so I get email as soon as it is sent but with iPhone I'd have to set the phone to check inbox periodically, which is not quite the same.

2. Typing on an iPhone is a bollocks in comparison to a tactile keyboard on a Blackberry.

3. However the iPhone is a lot more fun, with a lo more entertainment value.

4. On iPhone i can view web pages in html and have the whole pinch/expand user experience.

As a current Blackberry user perhaps phone experts on this forum could highlight what I stand to lose and gain by making a switch to the iPhone 3G?

Cheers Boards chaps/chapesses.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Do you want an entertainment phone or a functional phone? The iPhone is not suited to work that requires a lot of server connections, scheduling, etc., . It is good at being an Ipod with a phone attached.

Most phones these days will play video, music and browse the web, so look atht he typical daily functions you use the phone for mainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

1. The iPhone has push email too. Mobile Me, Yahoo and MS Exchange. Gmail haven't implemented this yet though.
    2. That's a user preference, I guess. Personally, I prefer the touchscreen keyboard. Because it takes so little effort to press the keys, I can type way faster than if I had to physically press a button. The error correction is also excellent. It takes a while to get used to, but once you do, it works great. Also, you can turn the phone on its side to get a landscape keyboard, which is bigger.
    4. The browser on Blackberries is definitely inferior to the iPhone's. I think a touch interface is the best way to browse web pages; using some sort of mouse or scroller is more awkward.

What you stand to lose is access to the Blackberry service plan and all its functions that I presume you're signed up for. Also, people tend to prefer the email on Blackberry's. It seems to be their best function. The iPhone's app is grand, but Blackberries tend to have more business type functions. If you use email a lot more than the internet, I say stick with the Bold.
    What you stand to gain is the excellent operating system on the iPhone, particularly the internet browser. It really is the strength of the phone; 50% of the mobile internet use in the US is from an iPhone! The App store is a huge advantage and the iPhone is also excellent as a media player. Also, I notice that the 8310 doesn't have Wifi, so you'll get that as well. If you use, or want to use, the internet on your phone, get an iPhone. You might want to consider waiting until the Summer though, when a newer model will most likely be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you want a top spec phone, with all the bits and bobs you would expect from a premium model, don't buy the iPhone.

If, however, you want a top-class user interface, with possibly the best web-browsing experience on a mobile device, coupled with excellent media playing functions and a basic phone, basic camera, limited text messaging facilities, no cut and paste, then go for the iPhone.

As pointed out above, there will be a new version coming out this Summer, plus current models can be upgraded to the new version of the Operating System, overcoming some of the above limitations.

Advertisement