Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daigo Umehara crowned SFIV International Champion

Options
  • 20-04-2009 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

Via Kineda
    The Beast is just... GOD-tier.
    GGPO Jwong :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Nice post ! :D
    I've no interest or desire to be amazing at StreetFighter 4..but I can always enjoy and appreciate watching the best at any game/sport :):D

Why is Soul Calibur chose above this for the WGC etc ?

On the fight between the 2 lads..there one bit where Rufus jumps to kick ryu.....Ryu shoryukens him into the air...but ye barely even see it...cause he focus cancels or whatever so quickly, then dashes forward and lets off an ultra before the dude even hits the ground

The most ridiculous thing ive ever seen in street fighter.

How do ye get that good

That Daigo (Ryu) fella is just amazing, absolutely mental !

That Dhalsim player is brilliant too....such a brilliant job at keepin them at a distance. I'll deffo have to get the notebook out and jot some down...and get a arcade stick while im at it as opposed to my 360dpad

Poonko - vs- Diago 1:01 , best combo i've seen in the game to date !!!

Been reading up on both players and the whole scene...came accross this..

Bang the Machine
    Bang the Machine is a documentary on the fierce fighting game scene in 2002. It features the most notorious names to have ever walked into an arcade like Alex Ville, Duc Do, John Choi, Justin Wong and even Diago Umehara.

However, it's a really hard movie to track down since screening is limited to a handful of events a year and there is no DVD release

Anyone heard of this or know where a copy is available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

SeantheMan wrote: »
    On the fight between the 2 lads..there one bit where Rufus jumps to kick ryu.....Ryu shoryukens him into the air...but ye barely even see it...cause he focus cancels or whatever so quickly, then dashes forward and lets off an ultra before the dude even hits the ground

The most ridiculous thing ive ever seen in street fighter.

How do ye get that good

That's pretty standard for tournament-level SF4, the relative ease of it (compared to other characters' setups into ultra) is actually one of the reasons why Ryu is such a good character. I got hit with it playing against Mike, the lad from Belfast who won the Xtreme Gaming Centre tournament, in the semis.

Daigo is absolutely ridiculous though, and I was pretty sure he was going to take this, even though that Korean Ryu guy is completely badass too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

There was a SF4 competition in Gamestop in Limerick on Saturday. Diago would have come 8th or 9th, the players were just that good! :rolleyes: I've never ever seen so many people being able to randomly hit buttons and stating they meant to pull off moves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

FutureGuy wrote: »
    There was a SF4 competition in Gamestop in Limerick on Saturday. Diago would have come 8th or 9th, the players were just that good! :rolleyes: I've never ever seen so many people being able to randomly hit buttons and stating they meant to pull off moves!

Hey.. it takes years of training to become a skilled button basher... wait did i say years? i meant seconds:D

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    That's pretty standard for tournament-level SF4, the relative ease of it (compared to other characters' setups into ultra) is actually one of the reasons why Ryu is such a good character. I got hit with it playing against Mike, the lad from Belfast who won the Xtreme Gaming Centre tournament, in the semis.

I've been practicing that but can get the ultra out fast enough. Really beginning to hit the limit of what I can do with the humble 360 pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

wow... the last round of the international final was ridiculous. Daigos Ryu is absolutely relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

They said that Daigo wasnt a good SF4 player (compared to his wizardry with third strike) but he really showed the critics here. He destroyed Justin Wong. Check all the vids here, every single fight is amazing: http://streetfighterdojo.com/sf4/tournament/street_fighter_4_world_championships_2009.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Lol looking at Wong's fights previous to the title match you think he's a brilliant player and it'll surely be an extremely close match with Daigo, but nope he gets owned :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Dammit I missed that. I was actually in Game playing SF4 on Saturday, got owned about 3 times by Seth before finally vanquishing him.

Dammit I missed that. I was actually in Game playing SF4 on Saturday, got owned about 3 times by Seth before finally vanquishing him.

Great fun, with top 4 being dominated by 3 boardsies :D

Back on topic, I've watched alot of Diagos videos (mainly SF3) and hes incredible. You can learn alot by studying his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Great fun, with top 4 being dominated by 3 boardsies :D

Back on topic, I've watched alot of Diagos videos (mainly SF3) and hes incredible. You can learn alot by studying his style.

Disappointed I missed it. I'm a bit rusty at the SF games but I still think I coulda given some of them a run for their money, oh well:-(

I'll check his vids out. My own personal style is Blunt Force Trauma. M.Bison is my fave character and suits my style of play very well IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Don't think it was released on DVD. However, there is a new documentary coming out at the end of the year http://www.igotnextmovie.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I placed fourth in the tourny... Someone called Garak001 won the tourny without dropping a round ;)

Seriously, your Guile is ridiculous FutureGuy... I'd be embarassed if it wasn't such a pleasure to watch you play! Congrats again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

best quality vids - http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Sakabot&view=videos

Daigo vs Igo is easily best of the tournament, hilarious full screen DP buffered into ultra and other general awesomeness.

edit: ahahaha holy **** the final round

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Event hubs reported that no one used a pad and that virtually everyone used the Madcatz Street Fighter 4 Tournament Edition sticks at that event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Been reading up on both players and the whole scene...came accross this..

Bang the Machine
    Bang the Machine is a documentary on the fierce fighting game scene in 2002. It features the most notorious names to have ever walked into an arcade like Alex Ville, Duc Do, John Choi, Justin Wong and even Diago Umehara.

However, it's a really hard movie to track down since screening is limited to a handful of events a year and there is no DVD release

We were talkin about that earlier

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59715474&highlight=Bang+Machine#post59715474

From what I understand its only shown to people attending Evo, and they wanna keep it that way. While a few people are rumored to have copies they wont upload it as the hardcore scene would shun them. They wanna keep it between the hard core people only it seems. Which pisses me off. Sure SFIV is out now but something like that would really help in making people aware of SF scene in general , the history behind it and how massive it is.

I only found out about all this over a year ago when I started reading SRK forums after getting into 3rd Strike. Theres a lot of history behind all these top players, and even how eventual fans + tourney level players ended up working for capcom and helped in making Hd remix. Its pretty interesting in terms of its impact on the gaming world that most gamers only really got a glimps of when they saw that 3rd strike Daigo parry video. Which became really famous out side the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Azza wrote:
    Event hubs reported that no one used a pad and that virtually everyone used the Madcatz Street Fighter 4 Tournament Edition sticks at that event.
    I think they even modified Poongko's TE with a Korean battop for him.
    [/nerd mode]

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    We were talkin about that earlier

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59715474&highlight=Bang+Machine#post59715474

From what I understand its only shown to people attending Evo, and they wanna keep it that way. While a few people are rumored to have copies they wont upload it as the hardcore scene would shun them. They wanna keep it between the hard core people only it seems. Which pisses me off. Sure SFIV is out now but something like that would really help in making people aware of SF scene in general , the history behind it and how massive it is.

From what I've read from posts, the media company who filmed the documentary had an office at the Twin Towers, and as a result of 9/11, their master footage was destroyed - it's a plausible reason as to why EVO won't upload and release it out of respect. The doc is screened at EVO, and absolutely no camera device is allowed at the screening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Ah I see yeah I remember that now, I remember reading an old thread that mentioned that when I was googling my arse off trying to find more info about it.

There was also a youtube vid I think, didnt show much, it was an interview with the people behind it and it only showed a small clip from the documentary (Americans talking all trash talk or something, 'trying to sound cool' anyway) I'm sure you get what I mean if you've read much threads on SRK lol.

**edit** ah sure a few vids come up with a quick youtube search:

I placed fourth in the tourny... Someone called Garak001 won the tourny without dropping a round ;)

Seriously, your Guile is ridiculous FutureGuy... I'd be embarassed if it wasn't such a pleasure to watch you play! Congrats again!

Ahhh shucks :o Nah seriously, our fight was very close in fairness, you almost finished me with Sagats ultra but I had just enough energy to block it all.

I'msreriously thinking of getting an arcade stick made up...noway I can perform a fraction of the moves seen on this video with the pad...I can't imput fast enough.

Regarding the created skicks on shoryuken.com, would they better than the medium-highend hori sticks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Why is Soul Calibur chose above this for the WGC etc ?

its not, VF5 is tho :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Regarding the created skicks on shoryuken.com, would they better than the medium-highend hori sticks?
    Hori Real Arcade Pro uses a Sanwa JLF joystick, same as most customs; and snap-in buttons with quick disconnects, so you can put in your own.

*edit*
    Just noticed that MadCatz SEs are available again from the UK store. Only avaible to UK & NI though.

Advertisement