Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopted stray Tomcat has strayed!

Options
  • 20-04-2009 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently moved into my new house in country. There was a stray tomcat who the previous family said had been hanging around for over a year. They fed him occasionally but never really made a pet of him. So anyway, I am there the first day painting and I leave the back door open and the cat came in and settled on the mat near the door and had a nice snooze for himself.

So anyway, i have been feeding him for about 6 weeks now and he likes to sit in the back porche. But he has been missing since Easter Sunday. I dont know anyone in the area, but to be honest I dont think there is even a point in looking for a stray un-neutered tom cat really. Am gutted cos he was a lovely little fella.

If he does return, should I get him spayed. I cant imagine trapping him, and I wonder id he too old? Definitely over 2 years old?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It depends entirely on whether or not you want to own a cat.

If you want to own him, make him yours. Take responsibility for him. This means taking him to the vet for shots and desexing, worming him every three months, microchipping him, feeding him every day, making sure he has fresh water, and preferably keeping him indoors at night so he doesn't fight with other cats.

If you don't want to own him - and be warned, if you look after him well and he doesn't fall foul of the things that usually kill cats, he could last up to 18 years - then do none of the above. You're either in it, or you're not.

Hope he comes back safe and sound, whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If a cat is in good healthy you can neuter at any age.
    Wether you want to make a pet of him or not neutering would be a good idea. Many cats are trapped neutered and returned to prevent more litters straying around.

However if you do keep him he will still wander because he can and between cars on the road, fighting with other cats (neutered cats do this too) or someone else thinking he's a stray and taking him in there are a lot of risks to cats out there. Many cats that have been wandering can take to home life very well and over time can be converted to indoor cats.

Fingers crossed he turns up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

I agree about many ex-wanderers settling down. We have an old guy who was neutered late in life when he strayed in and now he has firmly retired from wandering. He is permanently stationed on the sofa - he says he can monitor his territory just fine from there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Hello

Just an update, this fella returned last night! After 9 days missing. He was ravenous and had obviously been in fights as he had all little cuts on his ears.

I am going to ring the local vet to have him neutered and the works ASAP cos this is unavoidable. I am a bit worried about actually trapping him though. I think there is a thread here on trapping though so Ill search that out.

Glad he came back. :)

Is he handle-able at all? Does he run when you come near? If you can get a hand to him you can catch him without trapping him (if you're brave - just don't let go as soon as you have hold of a bit, just move quickly to get a better grip :) ).

You might be able to get a trap from the vet, so call and see if they have one.

• Advertisement

Yes he definitely is handleable he nearly riped my jeans from all the padding he was doing was he was settling down for a nap. I am waiting for the vet to call me back. He is a lovely cat, I am so happy he returned

If you can handle him you don't need to trap him.

You can get a temporary cardboard carrier from the vet - it's a top-opening box with air holes. That'll work to get him to the vet. The other option is buy a cat transport box. That's a plastic crate with a gate on the front and a handle on the top. They are very handy to have in case of emergency, and they're not expensive (or at least you don't need to buy the deluxe model!)

If you buy a cat crate, leave the cat crate open around the house for a few days and let the cat get used to it. He might even investigate the inside - chuck some treats in there for him. If he gets used to it he'll have no problem going in and out of it. The day you take him to the vet, put a towel in the bottom of the crate and chuck a treat into it - when he goes in just shut the gate behind him.

Don't do it hours before you're due to leave, because he'll whinge when he knows he's shut in.

For ages I used my cat crate as a litter box - I put the litter tray in the bottom and took the wire door off. As a result mine are fine with being crated, and if I put the crates out on the floor with the doors open they all go and sit in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

or you can also get nylon cat travel bags that are very similar to a sports hold-all (but with netting for the cat to see through). They're abot 20 euro. You can get them in most pet stores or on zooplus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Oh I'm glad to read he came back, well done for looking out for him and taking care of him:)

waraf wrote: »
    or you can also get nylon cat travel bags that are very similar to a sports hold-all (but with netting for the cat to see through). They're abot 20 euro. You can get them in most pet stores or on zooplus.ie

I borrowed one of these from a friend today.

Actually, can I lure him into with food, or does he need an empty belly for the operation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

He will need to fast from the night before his operation - your vet will fill you in when you make the appointment.

If he can be handled, and sits on your knee etc, can you not just swiftly and calmly pick him up and put him in the carrier? If you have someone else with you to quickly zip him in then it should all be quite painless.:D Just make sure you have the carrier nearby and open so that you don't have to fuss about once you have him picked up.

Also - if the carrier is the same as the one I have (kind of a cube shaped?), then it is best to tip it on its end so that the opening is facing up to the ceiling. The cat isn't able to run out as quickly!

Its good to pick him up when he is sleepy as he won't struggle so much until he figures out what is going on.

Well done on taking him in!!!

Brought cat to vet this morning, my stomach is in a knot after it. I got him into the holdall very easily with a few bits of dried food but the poor fella clawed and howled the whole time to vet (15mins) I was nearly sick. I feel so sorry for him!! Keeo telling myself that its a kindness in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Don't worry, he'll settle down v. quickly once he is there, and will get over it even faster once he is back in your place.

Well done on looking after him so well!

Thanks for the kind words. I am calm now again. I could barely eat my Mars bar on lunch!!

Heh sorry, when I said "He'll whinge when he knows he's shut in" I should've warned you what that would be like.

Every now and again I have to drive to the next town over with foster cats and kittens in my car. It's a 15 minute drive on road stretches that max at 100kmph and they invariably howl the entire way. It's a noise like no other.

(Though saying that, my Sasquatch-kitten was a little thrill seeker, sitting on his haunches like a meercat, staring out the front of the crate with eyes like saucers...)

Well, he has been spayed anyway. I had hoped the drive home would be easier cos he might be woozy from the painkillers, nuh-uh!!! He howled and cried and scratched and eventually peed. My car reeks now, I have tried disinfectant, citrus., leaving wondow open the works, its fading but my good god it smells bad

So anyway he stayed in friday night and I left him out saturday morning. He disappeared until sunday morning. He seems a bit sore and miserable and is reluctant to jump up or down from anywhere. Hope he is okay and just taking a while to heal. I set him up in the little shed out the back that has the tumble dryer in it so he was snoozing by the heat when I left this morning. Poor chap!

Advertisement