Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Tribune - Can anything Save Limerick Now?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Anyone see this in the Tribune? it gets my goat that people like Laura Ryan use sport every single time as our only defence....thomond park this....rugby that....Niallo said as much too fair play to him. Have we nothing else going for us....???!:confused: Was a pretty depressing report and we cant crib that it was anti Limerick, all the contributors were locals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I thought it was a very good article, apart from the attention grabbing headline and the rubbish quote from Laura Ryan. It was very interesting to get so many different peoples views on the situation here. LR was pretty appalling, I am sick of people trying to whitewash over Limericks problems by constantly mentioning the rugby. I and many people like me couldn't give a fcuk about rugby, and fail to see how this money making racket gives a positive image of Limerick. Limerick Co-ordination Office? More like Limerick Ministry for Propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Linky????

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The shooting at the house on Hyde road and the second incident with a pipe bomb getting thrown at a house will not do Limerick's image any good.

The bomb throwers got me thinking though. There was a find of pipe bombs a few weeks ago, and now one thrown at a house last night. Could those caught with pipe bombs on their property or caught using them not be charged as a terrorist or on some military grounds? It might seem extreme saying to charge them as a terrorist, but I do not see why not. Afterall a bomb is even more likely to kill/maim/injure more people than a gun, and in my eyes some arguement could be given for it being a military style weapon, and charge the scum as such.

I am also of the thinking if the scum keep ramping up what they are willing to use in public, then there should be army units brought in to supplement the Gardai.

Personally if a scumbag kills another scumbag, I do not care a jot, I just get bugged that they can claim grants for their funerals from the state. Surely those involved in criminal activities should not get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Google Sunday Tribune, click on the first link, then click on the headline article on the Tribune site. Its not hard to find. ;)

Oh OK, here: http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2009/apr/19/can-anything-save-limerick-now/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Now dont get me wrong, I am a massive Rugby fan, go to all ML & HC games and go to Dooradoyle for all Garryowens home games. But I despair that whenever we hear negative things about town, its seems the only defence we are able to offer is...."well its not as bad as Dublin...or Well we are great at Rugby....." ....is that really all we have...???! Jebus like!! Come on.....!
    (if we are honest, Limerick City's influence on the Munster team is actually minimal for all the hype apart from the stadium!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The only way to save Limerick (and every other region) is by removing the collective or societal stress from the city. This can be achieved by raising the collective consciousness of the region using the group practice of Transcendental Meditation and Yogic Flying. A group as little as 50 to 60 experts would be suffice for Limerick while 250 experts would benefit the whole country. The technique has been scientifically proven over 50 times, and it has appeared in a number of peer reviewed journals over the last 30 years
    David Lynch Foundation is supplying the funding to teach 1 million students throughout the world, including 10,000 in Ireland, the Transcendental Meditation Technique.

http://www.mum.edu/m_effect
    http://www.davidlynchfoundation.org
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/how-transcendental-meditation-could-be-the-solution-to-our-economic-woes-1698905.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I can't see you getting the homeless people, junkies and beggers doing yoga and meditation, to be honest. Like to see you try! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

:pac: You must be taking the piss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

YFlyer wrote: »
    The only way to save Limerick (and every other region) is by removing the collective or societal stress from the city. This can be achieved by raising the collective consciousness of the region using the group practice of Transcendental Meditation and Yogic Flying. A group as little as 50 to 60 experts would be suffice for Limerick while 250 experts would benefit the whole country. The technique has been scientifically proven over 50 times, and it has appeared in a number of peer reviewed journals over the last 30 years
    David Lynch Foundation is supplying the funding to teach 1 million students throughout the world, including 10,000 in Ireland, the Transcendental Meditation Technique.

http://www.mum.edu/m_effect
    http://www.davidlynchfoundation.org
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/how-transcendental-meditation-could-be-the-solution-to-our-economic-woes-1698905.html

LOL Its probably got as much chance of succeeding as anything else.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Interesting....I posted a comment yesterday that the headline was pure tabloid rubbish, and allowing column space to a mother that said her son was "only a joyrider" was bad....

No sign of the comment.

Apparently the Sunday Tribune moderators don't like criticism.

Article was OK (apart from a mother saying that her son was "only a joyrider".....with a mother like that, what hope did the kid have)

Headline was absolute tabloid trash and irresponsible.....

• Advertisement

Liam79 wrote: »
    its seems the only defence we are able to offer is...."well its not as bad as Dublin..."

That's NOT a defence for what goes on.

It IS, however, a defence against the type of crap implied by the brain-dead, attention-seeking, tabloid headline....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I thought it was a very good article, apart from the attention grabbing headline and the rubbish quote from Laura Ryan. It was very interesting to get so many different peoples views on the situation here. LR was pretty appalling, I am sick of people trying to whitewash over Limericks problems by constantly mentioning the rugby. I and many people like me couldn't give a fcuk about rugby, and fail to see how this money making racket gives a positive image of Limerick. Limerick Co-ordination Office? More like Limerick Ministry for Propaganda.

In fairness to Laura, she doesn't just single out rugby as the only positive aspect of the city, she also highlights a number of cultural aspects to it:

"We've the World Music Centre, the Irish Chamber Orchestra, the Hunt Museum..."

I am sick of people trying to whitewash over Limericks problems by constantly mentioning the rugby. I and many people like me couldn't give a fcuk about rugby

No-one's trying to whitewash over anything; something has to be done to take out the drug gangs for good.

But the FACT of the matter is that this only a tiny minority of Limerick. Rugby and other activities are the activities that most other people are interested or involved in, but those don't make the headlines.
    fail to see how this money making racket gives a positive image of Limerick. Limerick Co-ordination Office? More like Limerick Ministry for Propaganda.

Again, no. If the "national" newpapers covered half of the other things about Limerick with half the intensity and dropped the OTT tabloid headlines, then we wouldn't NEED to say "hang on a sec now...."

Basically, trying to tell so-called reporters and journalists that there are many positive things about Limerick, that the city isn't a ghetto with shootings and drive-bys everywhere and every day, and that most people have normal, everyday lives, shouldn't even be the Limerick Co-Ordination Office's job - the papers should do it themselves.

But they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I am a Dub through and through,from an area considered rough.i do not understand why Limerick allows itself to be the easy target of criticism by the media and the butt of jokes.Journalists in the main were born into wealthy homes(exceptions of course)got the best of education and family support.they are respectable people in the sense that they drink in private or pubs(not fields as some have to)and when they use drugs they snort cocaine(as opposed to shooting up heroin with a rusty needle)many of them dont give a damn that their next front page article destroys the chances of young people trying to break out of the circle of being snubbed for jobs because of having a Limerick adress,thus they contribute to the problem they so love to report on! is,nt making a living by sucking the life blood out of people equal to being a parasite?many journalists are parasites who leech off the suffering of others whom they accuse of leeching from the state through collecting the dole,the very dole Limerick people will never escape because the same journalists have demonised Limerick&ignorant employers just accept the **** any two bit journalist writes!

they never mention the Elephant in the room though,they never say "limerick is of course made up of savage backward travelors" which is always the undertone as they know criticising Limerick is sure not to cause a stir,ever seen an article criticising Dublin 4?Journalists would be too afraid to even mention a bag of rubbish was found there!

So people of Limerick on election days do you vote?political parties know what areas have small turn outs election after election and when they know there is no votes to be gained they let an area rot.

Limerick people it is time for yous to get outraged,it is time to give zero tolerence to being swiped at,time for you,s to not allow td,s ignore you,
    and time for the guards to do their job in an effective way!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Bloody hell, take it easy there. She's trying to turn around decades of bad press. It's not an easy task and to her credit any press she has given previously has been wide ranging in trying to praise Limerick's good side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Can anything save limerick now? hmmm maybe now this might sound insane but am really theres only around 150ish involved in this feud so thats assuming that these 150ish doom the other 100,000+.

Limerick isn't as bad as made out just everything is blown out of proportion here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

My girlfriends father recently retired from the Gardai. He was based in Henry Street in Limk and has seen his fair share of the bad times. Over the last couple of years he said things have really escalated - incidents like gardai being assaulted, squad cars getting things thrown at them/even shot at!!

Whenever they do catch one of the scumbags involved they have to interview them for hours in a room with CCTV to try and get them to make a statement. I remember g/fs father saying they just sit there and refuse to speak until their solicitor gets there. The whole legal system seems to be advantageous for the criminals if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Iang87 wrote: »
    Can anything save limerick now? hmmm maybe now this might sound insane but am really theres only around 150ish involved in this feud so thats assuming that these 150ish doom the other 100,000+.

Limerick isn't as bad as made out just everything is blown out of proportion here

I used to always believe that Limerick wasn't as bad as its made out to be but when innocent people are beginning to be murdered then there is definetley a serious problem present.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I used to always believe that Limerick wasn't as bad as its made out to be but when innocent people are beginning to be murdered then there is definetley a serious problem present.

I have to agree with this. 90% of the people doing my college course moved here from Cork/Galway/Kerry/etc and a fair number of them were pretty apprehensive about it. They soon saw the positive aspects of the city, and came to realise that most of the troubles were confined to certain estates. They came around to the idea that it is safe to walk through Limerick City.

And then Shane Geoghan was shot dead 10 minutes down the road from where most of my friends are living. An isolated incident, a mistake? That explanation might have been some minimal form of comfort, except that since then a second innocent man has been murdered in public. I hate sensationalism in the media, but to deny that the serious problems in Limerick are as bad as ever would be madness.

An File wrote: »
    And then Shane Geoghan was shot dead 10 minutes down the road from where most of my friends are living. An isolated incident, a mistake? That explanation might have been some minimal form of comfort, except that since then a second innocent man has been murdered in public. I hate sensationalism in the media, but to deny that the serious problems in Limerick are as bad as ever would be madness.

No-one's saying that there isn't a serious problem. The second man WAS innocent, although there's rumours that he may have been targetted directly because he stopped scum selling drugs in the pub; that differentiates him a little from the Shane Geoghegan incident and makes it less "random" (although if it's true then he was still within his rights, doing the right thing, and deserved the protection of the law).

But the FACT is that the serious problem that exists does not justify headlines like that, making the entire city look like a lost cause just because of 150-odd scumbags. THAT is what is objectionable - not any normal, objective or proportional reporting.

Someone was shot in Dublin since, related to a drug gang - did you see an equivalent headline ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No-one's saying that there isn't a serious problem. The second man WAS innocent, although there's rumours that he may have been targetted directly because he stopped scum selling drugs in the pub; that differentiates him a little from the Shane Geoghegan incident and makes it less "random" (although if it's true then he was still within his rights, doing the right thing, and deserved the protection of the law).

But the FACT is that the serious problem that exists does not justify headlines like that, making the entire city look like a lost cause just because of 150-odd scumbags. THAT is what is objectionable - not any normal, objective or proportional reporting.

Someone was shot in Dublin since, related to a drug gang - did you see an equivalent headline ?

Well no there wouldn't be an equivalent headline because that wasnt an innocent man with no connections to a drug gang being murdered.

Im not defending the national media because i do believe they go over the top when it comes to Limerick, however things such as Shane Geoghan, the two kids in moyross being burned by a petrol bomb and the Roy Collins murder do not happen in Dublin, not from my recollection anyway, i could be wrong in that. Especially considering the small size of our city, there is a serious problem here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

for anybody who read my posts on the topic of limerick and think i have a grudge against journalists,well i have.

I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of the press.
    my problem with journalists(with exceptions)is they abuse the powerful posistion they have in society.IMO they are more powerful than any govt or its ministors and would destroy good people and good names of a region without a thought and then to grab their next(scoop)do it all over again.
    they are almost the least accountable members of our country and are given carte blanch because of their power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

yep scum, cause nothing but hassle. anything bad happens then they're around the family who suffered a loss lik parasites cos it sells papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Well no there wouldn't be an equivalent headline because that wasnt an innocent man with no connections to a drug gang being murdered.

Im not defending the national media because i do believe they go over the top when it comes to Limerick, however things such as Shane Geoghan, the two kids in moyross being burned by a petrol bomb and the Roy Collins murder do not happen in Dublin, not from my recollection anyway, i could be wrong in that. Especially considering the small size of our city, there is a serious problem here.

Your right and Wrong LimerickDude. Innocent people do get shot in Dublin....think of that girl who was shot at a house party by scum who werent allowed in a few years back, Donna something? And the plumber who was shot doign a job in a gangsters house. But the point is, Dublin is a city of nearly 1.5m people, Limk is a city with less than 80,000 people. Its not a relative comparison. There are a disproportionate amount ot innocent people killed in Limerick. And as soon as a Limerick person dares say this you have wanna be mayors like Liam Byrne (sorry Liam, its nothing personal but you do sound like Joe Leddin/Diarmuid Scully/Ger Fahy) giving it the ol Limerick gets a raw deal from the Dublin Meejia thing.... We dont....Innocent people ARE being murdered here, Limerick people ARE fearful walking the city and its NOT confined to one or two dark corners of town!!!! And for a small city like Limerick, it IS a massive problem on a large scale. Comparing us to massive citites like Dublin and Glasgow is ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

stop worrying about limerick's "bad image" in the media and instead be glad that the problems are getting the attention they deserve and need.

Really ? Check your facts, please :

http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2006/12/20/story290072.asp

And NOW explain why we never saw a "Can anything save Dublin Now?" headline.

Liam79 wrote: »
    And as soon as a Limerick person dares say this you have wanna be mayors like Liam Byrne (sorry Liam, its nothing personal but you do sound like Joe Leddin/Diarmuid Scully/Ger Fahy) giving it the ol Limerick gets a raw deal from the Dublin Meejia thing.... We dont....Innocent people ARE being murdered here, Limerick people ARE fearful walking the city and its NOT confined to one or two dark corners of town!!!!

Ah FFS! :rolleyes: you can't say "nothing personal" after a stupid comment like that!

I've REPEATEDLY said that there is a problem that needs to be dealt with; one of those posts was almost immediately above yours - can you not read ? :P
    No-one's saying that there isn't a serious problem.

What I've ALSO repeatedly said is that headlines like this ARE exaggerated.

"Report the facts in a responsible way, without exaggerating" is NOT an unreasonable request. "Report events in different cities in a consistent manner" is NOT an unreasonable request.

So while I'll resist the urge to hit the red triangle on the above talking-through-your-posterior, please quit the bull**** and the idiotic assumptions as to what I want or don't want to be, because you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

An article in the (English)Times a few weeks back said that Limerick has the "worst gang warfare in Europe" and is so poor that corner shops are selling single teabags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Max Cohen

sorry for goin off topic (kinda) but Jaysus that Laura Ryan's a hottie eh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Max Cohen

Interesting....I posted a comment yesterday that the headline was pure tabloid rubbish, and allowing column space to a mother that said her son was "only a joyrider" was bad....

No sign of the comment.

Apparently the Sunday Tribune moderators don't like criticism.

Article was OK (apart from a mother saying that her son was "only a joyrider".....with a mother like that, what hope did the kid have)

Headline was absolute tabloid trash and irresponsible.....

Not defending stealing cars but the point she was making was that he wasn't a thug who used to go around mugging people and stealing their phones or kickin the heads off people.

and that is true because i'd know of him and what he was like - albeit through many degrees of seperation i must add!!!

Advertisement