Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret History, Donna Tartt

Options
  • 20-04-2009 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Can't believe that this book comes highly recommended. Tartt is an excellent writer but the book itself isn't well written. The plot meanders and the characters are impossible to either like or care about, but so vapid and listless, you can't be bothered hating them either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Yeah, I read this a few years back and it is definitely overhyped. Well written but the characters are vapid and not very believable. Still, not a bad book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

My favourite book of all time... Different strokes eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

doonothing wrote: »
    My favourite book of all time... Different strokes eh?

Really?

What did you find good about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Pretty much everything you didn't! I thought it was incredibly well written.. I didn't find the plot to meander too much, like you said, I thought it was extremely well structured. I loved the characters, though vapid they most certainly were. I thought they were meant to be unbelievable to keep in with the greek-tragedy-esque style of the events and character's actions...

I always find it a lot easier to pick something apart that I don't like rather than defend something I do like, so I will probably be "outdone"* by you in this discussion, but I loved it :)

*not that it's a competition or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I thought it was brilliant and it would be up there as one of the best books I've ever read.

As for what I liked about its hard to say because I read it 5 years ago when I was 16, but I just remember being totally absorbed and engrossed by the characters and the world that was created and the protaganists descent into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

have to say I read this book a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I thought it was well written, liked the characters and didn't find it meandered at all

Advertisement