Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up seats for pregnant women

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Salome wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much all that was mentioned - it's only good manners to offer a seat to a person who needs it, for whatever reason.

What gets on my wotsits is people who think they have a divine right to a seat. For example, my mother recalled an incident on a bus recently where a black lady and her child were sitting on seat to the front of the downstairs. This old biddy gets on and insisted on the black lady moving her child so the old bid could sit down - even though there were other seats behind which were vacant!!!!! The black lady obviously had more manners than the old bid - she moved her child. The old bid was only going 3 stops. That makes my blood boil.

Old people are often very demanding and downright rude - unnecessarily in a lot of cases.

<rant> Was it the 11/11A between Ranelagh and Leeson Street? A version of that plays out everytime a particular lady gets that bus in the morning and someone is sitting in the frontmost "Please give up this seat..." rows. I used to get that bus every morning until recently and it drove me demented - she was so rude and would force whoever was there to vacant the pair of seats so she could have both (and sit on the outside to prevent anyone sitting beside her) even though the bus is always half empty at that time. :mad:

Thing is, she didn't have a bus pass so she wasn't *that* old and she used to hop off at her stop and bound off to work or whatever, weaving through traffic and all (seemingly) with no problem. Even if she had hidden problems it doesn't excuse the rudeness. Most people would have no problem giving up their seat to an older person, especially if that person asks for it outright, but people really don't like being berated first thing in the morning for having the cheek to sit towards the front of an empty bus! </rant>

Anyway, on topic, I do offer my seat to people, if there was someone standing near me who was older/disabled/pregnant I just wouldn't enjoy having a seat anymore (or the crick in my neck from looking away to avoid eye contact!). But I find it's quite hard to judge when to offer your seat to an older man - so often they turn it down mortified going "I'm not that old" etc. etc. Maybe it's just me! I need some lessons in profiling! :D

Advertisement