Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raptor, West of Ireland ?

• 20-04-2009 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Lads, I saw four birds on uplands heather at the weekend, here in the west. Unfortunately, I only have a consumer camera, so the attached is the only very poor quality photo I could manage.
    The bird was light brown / quite pale (not dark brown, grey or blue) and flies with rapid wingbeats for a while followed by fairly short gliding, never climbing that high in the sky. Seemed relatively small, maybe 30 - 40 cm long.
    Any ideas ?
    picture.php?albumid=547&pictureid=2823

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Photo not visible...can you try again?

Merlin http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/m/merlin/index.asp sounds like a good fit...good for you!

Other species to consider in that habitat include Kestrel, Hen Harrier & Cuckoo which looks a bit hawk-like.

For reference, other Irish non-owl raptors that they probably aren't include Peregrine Falcon, Golden Eagle (Donegal), Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, and almost certainly not Red Kite (Wicklow), White Tailed Sea Eagle (Kerry).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks for that.
    Yes, I'm debating between Merlin, Cuckoo and Sparrowhawk. But the colour doesn't fit any of them. The birds' backs were too pale / bright coloured to fit any book or RSPB descriptions of these three. I'll just have to go up and find them again ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Difficult without a picture and the colour of most raptors can vary bewteen dark and pale. Lets's say 4 Merlin together is unlikely. Also if you are torn between Merlin and Sparrowhawk there is no comparison size wise. I wouldn't say it was Merlin.
    Again to see a Cuckoo right now is early. To see 4 together at any time most unusual and not a runner with me.
    The size is often difficult to gauge if at a distance bit based on your estimate I'd say you had Sparrowhawks but Buzzard would have been more likely if they were a bit bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Lads, are ye saying ye can't see the picture at all or just that it's crap and of no use ?
    Srameen, I appreciate it's hard top tell the size from distance, but it certainly wasn't a buzzard - feathers much too light coloured and bird not so big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

There seems to be no picture attached!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

hiya Connacht, and did you rule out hen harrier? male and female hen harriers looks quite different. According to my birdie book they fly 'with fast wing beats and short glides'.
    good luck goin looking for them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Without another sighting it's really impossible to say from the description given. Most plumage in raptors varies considerably in shade from pale to dark. Size often depends on sex and distance viewed from. Flight habit is influenced by a good many factors including wind force, currents etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

i would think hen harriers as i have seen three flying together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

But four?

Advertisement