Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John St is a mess

• 20-04-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Will anything ever be done to clean up this area of town?

Was just looking at it last night. Awful. You have the city's main nightlife in Masons, Ruby's, Muldoons and Dignity. Between them you have Baker St or whatever it's called now (never open), O'Regans shop (closed), Sinnotts (baricaded and grotty), some pink coloured place beside (called Pure or Bliss?) and the window has been smashed for the last few months, the rear of Muldoons (looks awful), on the other side of Sinnotts is another derelict premises, then Aaron's chipper (closed last night at 8pm - is it gone??), then beside that another boarded up premises.

Considering a lot of locals and not-so-locals frequent this area, it's giving a very poor image of the city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I agree with ya...suppose the dreaded recession has a lot to do with it. The money just isn't there to buy/renovate these areas.

What do you propose is done about it OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I agree with ya...suppose the dreaded recession has a lot to do with it. The money just isn't there to buy/renovate these areas.

What do you propose is done about it OP?

Put me on the spot why don't ya :p

I've no problem with the empty premises. As you say, the recession will ensure they remain that way. The places with the smashed windows or awful boarding should be cleaned up though.

You know, the city is great at snapping up affordable housing all over the place, so why can't they rent out these places, have someone clean them up, and allow temporary businesses like the markets to operate out of there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

gscully wrote: »
    Put me on the spot why don't ya :p

I've no problem with the empty premises. As you say, the recession will ensure they remain that way. The places with the smashed windows or awful boarding should be cleaned up though.

You know, the city is great at snapping up affordable housing all over the place, so why can't they rent out these places, have someone clean them up, and allow temporary businesses like the markets to operate out of there?

Because that would be a good idea. And they don't do those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There should be some sort of Task Force to get on the backs of property owners to keep them presentable - otherwise you get the "Broken Window" phenomenon breaking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of hotel along there many moons ago? that would have great for the street cause it would increase the foot traffic and lead to an increase in businesses being setup.

I like the Idea of the renting to markets ETC, But lets be honest the vast majority of streets leading out from the Club centre of town are pretty bad. Even new street is kinda shoddy looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

John's st. died a death a few years ago with Sinnotts and O'Regan's closing and a few other places. It's actually better now than it was. There's a new Taxi place supposedly opening, Fletchers is closed but is soon to be replaced with another place (there's a sign in the window), and Aarons is relatively new. The derelict house at John's bridge is now a spaceage hairdressers. The corner of the Waterside and John's st. was supposed to be a restaurant, but what with planning delays and the recession, who knows how that will go. Dignity is the big success story for that street, and presumably also for gay people! There's a long way to go yet, but the area is actually improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

mike65 wrote: »
    There should be some sort of Task Force to get on the backs of property owners to keep them presentable - otherwise you get the "Broken Window" phenomenon breaking out.

personally I think they should get a task force to catch the little scumbags who break the windows and make them or their parents pay for the cost of fixing the damage they have done...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote: »
    John's st. died a death a few years ago with Sinnotts and O'Regan's closing and a few other places. It's actually better now than it was. There's a new Taxi place supposedly opening, Fletchers is closed but is soon to be replaced with another place (there's a sign in the window),

I'd expect the new place to be closed within 6-8 months, no pub has lasted in that place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

robtri wrote: »
    personally I think they should get a task force to catch the little scumbags who break the windows and make them or their parents pay for the cost of fixing the damage they have done...
    We already have a task force for that, the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd expect the new place to be closed within 6-8 months, no pub has lasted in that place

Well then I'd expect a new place to open in its place, because that's what has happened every other time. Besides, Fletchers did get busy for a while there. I love the way people "lay the curse" on places in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

gscully wrote: »
    it's giving a very poor image of the city.

It's everywhere now- even Grafton St in Dublin has closed, empty shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

damn recession and damn objectors don,t even have to say his name

Advertisement