Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss is alcoholic

Options
  • 20-04-2009 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The owner of the pub I work in as a barmaid is an alcoholic. He's there every night, gets abusive after hes had too many. He also will impose himself on young girls, buy them drinks and touches their legs, etc as well as the young waitresses.

After hes had too many, the unfountunate customer who thought he was lovely at the beginning of the evening when he invaded their company, leaves or is told to leave by him when the switch trips in his head.

We're losing business because of him. When hes not around, we have a great time.
    Hes old, so he has nothing to do or anything to contribute to apart from pick out little problems all day.

Has anyone any advice on how to work with an alcoholic? Every day hes reeling from another hangover and cranky and lashes out. I dont know the answer, I know I would love to say it to his face but he has no idea, hes in denial. He never remembers the next day anything from the night before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Get out while you can. This is not going to improve with time and he is going to lose his pub, his business and his life with this carry-on.
    Have you asked yourself what will happen to you if he pops his clogs suddenly and another family member takes over the pub?
    Chances are you will be displaced and the family member will take over the running of the pub personally as other jobs are now non-existant.
    My father worked in a place run by an alcoholic for 20 years, the potential for growth and expansion was lost and he ended up struggling without a pension in old age to make up a decent living for himself and his family.
    His bitterness at his stormy relationship with the alcoholic was something he carried to his grave.
    A lot of people in Ireland tolerate a lot of trouble from alcoholics because of a misplaced sense of pity for them.
    If there are other family members with a financial interest in the pub, let them know what is happening and your concerns. If they are shareholders they may be able to get him to stay away.
    I knew a guy who ran a pub where I lived but had a bad personality and no head for business. For 20 years the place struggled. He then leased it to a guy with a great personality and it boomed, he ended up making 2-3 times as much money.Maybe you might be able to convince the owner to let you lease the pub, if it is small enough and you feel up to the task of handling the extra responsibilities etc.While his presence on the premises even as a customer, might be awkward, it might be possible to persuade him to stay away and let you work unharrassed. If however he is a sole owner then you have no lever to use to get rid of him and are better off leaving now.
    Staying in any form of longterm relationship with an alcoholic is as destructive on the victim as it is on the alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

IMO you won't get a better answer than the one doolox has given

Advertisement