Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Marriage

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Boston wrote: »
    Couple of points

1) De Valera advocated a lot of very retarded things, if we still embraced them all we'ed be dancing at the cross roads every Friday night.

2) No where in the constitution does it state that a marriage is between a man an a woman. No where, full stop, end of story. Legislation was brought in (by the PDs if i recall) which specificied that it was between a man an a woman. The issue is that if same sex couples were allow to marry, it would fundamentally affect was was understood to be "The family". That is the problem. We can have civil unions because a civil union will no be seen as a "family".
    1) We changed those via referendum (divorce in particular).

2) If you are referring to the social welfare provision, then that was Mary Coughlan of Fianna Fail. AFAIK those provisions were put in place to avoid uncertainty as to who could claim what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

1) We changed those via referendum (divorce in particular).

2) If you are referring to the social welfare provision, then that was Mary Coughlan of Fianna Fail. AFAIK those provisions were put in place to avoid uncertainty as to who could claim what.

1) Making more of a reference to A) his economic policies such as produce Irish, buy Irish and b) his policy of hiding under a bed from the Brits and later shooting decent men in the back. If there's one thing we can all agree on its that "Dev" was a tool.

2) If I could search this forum I'd dig up the thread about it. I can't remember the excuse given for bringing in the legislation but I do recall the effect.

Advertisement