Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mike Gascoyne On BBC

• 20-04-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I normally watch F1 on Setanta. Its the only reason I have subscribed to it. Since the start of the season I have flicked onto the BBC to see what its like. It seemed like excellent coverage, but to my surprise I actually found Eddie Jordans comments boring !!!

While watching the buildup yesterday on the BBC, I enjoyed Mike Gascoyne's comments so much that I watched the entire race on it.

I think that if the BBC replaced Jordan with Mike Gascoyne, then their coverage would be better than Senata as Gascoyne is every bit as knowledgeabel and has as much expierence in F1 teams as Gary AAnderson on Setanta.

Might just save myself €250 a year

What do you guys think ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

BBC Coverage is better altogether anyway imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

€250 a year? What are Setanta giving you for that???

Have to agree with you, very dissapointed with Jordan. Even the way he holds the mike, he looks like he's about to break into a song!

I though Gascoyne was streets ahead. They need to put him in high heels or something though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

I dont have NTL so I have to pay for Setanta Ireland. I get Setanta Ireland and Setanta 1 and 2.

I like EJ, but broadcasting isn't his thing. Good idea on paper, but Gascoyne is way better at it. IMO EJ is ruining what seems to be excellent coverage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Gascoyne was very good this weekend alright, it's always good to hear someone who knows their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

thegoth wrote: »
    I dont have NTL so I have to pay for Setanta Ireland. I get Setanta Ireland and Setanta 1 and 2.

I like EJ, but broadcasting isn't his thing. Good idea on paper, but Gascoyne is way better at it. IMO EJ is ruining what seems to be excellent coverage

Agree 100%. Always liked Eddie but it looks like TV is just not his thing. He was more interesting and spontaneous when he didn't have to report to his BBC masters I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Yeah Gascoyne was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its good coverage having all the red button stuff etc but there is something missing that I cannot put my finger on yet but I will. Its just no quite right. It might be the presenter who I dont like. There is nothing to him and he seems kinda isolated from the whole thing. Also, they need to get a pitlane reporter who will get stuck into the drivers when they retire/crash and before the race also. I havent seen much of the drivers at all this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

ya kinda like louise goodman sorta role. agree with mike gascoyne is far better than ej i never liked him anyway with his constant "i discovered schumacher" crap. well pity you didnt hold on to him. dspite this was actually finding him ok but now we hav seen the grass in greener hope they replace him with gascoyne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I agree that there's something missing but I'm not quite sure what it is. It's like the whole thing hasn't just clicked yet. I'm not complaining though, it's great not having ad breaks and stuff.

Mike Gascoyne was good alright, like other posters have said, its good when they have a tech guy who knows what he's talking about. Gary Anderson knows his stuff too, but his voice doesn't come across well on commentary and seems kind of dull. I don't like saying that as I'm sure he's sound.

Lee McKenzie though, hot stuff. I won't say what I'm thinking, I'll definitely get banned ;)

Advertisement