Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming a foal

Options
  • 20-04-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Ok, I was on the mare foaling thread earlier to say our mare had finally foaled this morning.
    Now I'm trying to think how to name her. She's a skewbald filly - but I don't want to go for Dot or Patch or anything. I can't think of any nice names right now. Right now she's 'little one' but I think I call every foal that until someone names them, this is mine to name and I'm stuck. :(

Any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭M25

How about Rain? Its the name of the skewbald in the film Spirit stallion of the Cimarron. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Nice, but sounds masculine :(

Hope this isn't going to be the nameless foal! I'm going to have to put a few in a hat and go for it! :pac:

Edited to add: Just thought of this, her mother has a gemstone name, would it be too much to call her one too? Can't think of any that would suit yet though! (amber, opal...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

how about dog?

abcdggs wrote: »
    how about dog?
    Why??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Something feminine and gemstone-like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gemstones

Anything there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Boring, but why don't you play around with the mothers and fathers names...

Yeah I'm thinking of doing that, but its hard. I've gone back a few generations from what I found on the internet this morning. Can't find the Dam's parents names, but there in her book at home.
    I want a short name for her though, her long name can go on the papers.

The gem stone names aren't really working, pearl sounds like a granny, opal doesn't really seem right and topaz is now the name of a filling station. Ruby is the mare's name it's lovely but its gone, and the others are a bit long.... :rolleyes:

ecaf wrote: »
    Yeah I'm thinking of doing that, but its hard. I've gone back a few generations from what I found on the internet this morning. Can't find the Dam's parents names, but there in her book at home.
    I want a short name for her though, her long name can go on the papers.

The gem stone names aren't really working, pearl sounds like a granny, opal doesn't really seem right and topaz is now the name of a filling station. Ruby is the mare's name it's lovely but its gone, and the others are a bit long.... :rolleyes:

What are the parents' names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Aww, any pix?!

I was going to say Ruby, t'was the first name that came into my head! Oh well...

What about Rosie? Or April?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Aww, any pix?!

I was going to say Ruby, t'was the first name that came into my head! Oh well...

What about Rosie? Or April?

Oh +1 on the April

• Advertisement

liah wrote: »
    What are the parents' names?
    Hallo Rossa & Wild Bil (Ruby)

April is going into the hat, but it wouldn't be top of the list for me!

Don't know how to post a pic, but if I work it out I will. She is only 2 hours old in it, took on my phone so it won't be great!

Oh dear lord, she is WAY too cute for her own good..!

Looked up some names with meanings;

"Airy" names
    Azure
    Sky

"Flowery" names
    Ione (greek)
    Hana (japanese)
    Rose
    Azalea
    Clover
    Lily

"Light" names
    Wyn (welsh - could be cute as winnie!)

"Gemstone" names
    Gemma
    Rubena (esperanto)
    Safira (esperanto)

"Small" names
    Nina
    Sindri (icelandic)

"Astronomy" names
    Luna
    Indu (indian)
    Maia (greek/roman)

"Lucky" names
    Lykke (danish - pronounce the "e" as an "eh" sound)

"Beautiful" names
    Bella
    Kallisto (greek - kallie/callie could be cute)

Loads here: http://www.behindthename.com/
    The site also has a random name generator-- just pick whatever types of names you like, hit generate, and keep refreshing the page to get new names.

Thanks, you've given me a lot to go on.
    I tried looking up beauty in spanish - got belleza
    It's OK, but not sure... what do you think about Opal? Not sure about this either.
    I had a skewbald years ago, when I was 12 I named him patch (well someone else did and I kept it), which was fine for him, but looking back its such an obvious name!

I'm going to go to that link and play for a while with it when I've time.

Opal just reminds me of sort of an elderly woman's name. It's nice, but fairly dated.. and far too mature for such a little sweetheart! Depends on her temperament though, if she's "wise beyond her years" or an "old soul" then Opal might fit.

Aww, she's gorgeous!!

I see you've titled the picture bab, so hows about Babs as a name for her?

How big is is going to be? Pony or horse?

and hows about Wild Rose as a fanceh name?

Yeah I don't really like Opal either, was getting desperate yesterday.

I like Wild Rose as her official name, or Wild Hallo / Wild Rossa (you have to suggest 3 to register them anyway), they would combine the parents names well.

Liah suggested loads yesterday, I'm thinking about Sky??? Or a friend said Amber, I like it but I'm not 100%, and people were saying you could shorten it to Ambie, that really put me off. Kallie is another nice one / Kallisto

She's getting very inquisitive, sometimes comes walking right over to us, but is gone off the idea of letting us touch her much, she just calls out for mammy.

Thanks, you've given me a lot to go on.
    I tried looking up beauty in spanish - got belleza
    It's OK, but not sure... what do you think about Opal? Not sure about this either.
    I had a skewbald years ago, when I was 12 I named him patch (well someone else did and I kept it), which was fine for him, but looking back its such an obvious name!

I'm going to go to that link and play for a while with it when I've time.

guappa is beautiful in Spanish.

I like Wild Rose as her official name, or Wild Hallo / Wild Rossa (you have to suggest 3 to register them anyway), they would combine the parents names well.

why thank you
    I'm thinking about Sky??? Or a friend said Amber

either of them is nice :)
    She's getting very inquisitive, sometimes comes walking right over to us, but is gone off the idea of letting us touch her much, she just calls out for mammy.

awww :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sioux?Works as Indian (for the coloured horse) and for a girly name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

I called my little girl Neko as it's japanese for cat and she was just so like a cat when she was a baby, she'd rub up gainst you for scratches and want to play all the time. Plus her movements were so elastic aswell.

Here's some I thought of for your little girl. (I tend to go for unusual names myself) Personnally though you should figure out her personality first and then try picking a name that helps define her :) I didn't name mine for a few weeks.

Aythya (conjuctive with redheads)
    Sora (japanese for sky seeing as you like that already)
    Jenesia (latin for newcomer)
    Freya (norse; lady)
    Meave (irish; intoxicating one)
    Zaida (arabic; the lucky one)
    Valora (latin; brave one)
    Eithne (irish; zealous and firey)
    Aria (latin; beautiful melody)
    Isra (arabic; journey by night)

Have fun, and I don't think your horse will hold it against you if you decide to change her name after you find it doesnt suit her after a while :) So don't worry about getting it perfect right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Inanna was the sumerian goddess of love. And warfare =P. I always thought that would be a cool name for a horse.

OK so a few names that have made it onto the list (I know which one I prefare, but I want to run them by you first!):
    Amber, Pip, Sky, Willow

Her official name will probably be: Wild Hallo / Wild Rose.... when I get around to registering.
    Thanks for all the help by the way, thankfully I don't have to name the foal due next month!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

OK so a few names that have made it onto the list (I know which one I prefare, but I want to run them by you first!):
    Amber, Pip, Sky, Willow

Her official name will probably be: Wild Hallo / Wild Rose.... when I get around to registering.
    Thanks for all the help by the way, thankfully I don't have to name the foal due next month!
    Pip to me sounds like a little fat hairy cob. I like Willow and Sky but our yard had dogs with those names. What about the Irish name Róise ( row-sha)?

Amber, Pip, Sky, Willow

in order of preference

1 Willow
    2 Sky
    3 Amber
    4 Pip

Maybe you could post a poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

Sorry I'm clueless about names.
    My latest foals were known as 'biggles' and 'you little...' :)
    Chindato
    (which is the name of another of my horses, a combination of his sire's name - Aldato- and a grandsire's on the damline - Chou Chin Chow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

so ecaf did you pick a name yet?

heres my ideas for you

gizmo
    commet
    bella
    breeze
    ella
    honey
    spud (ha ha joking)
    jenna
    jewels

i can think of girls names.. no boys names come to hand!! :)

Well Sky is the name I'm stuck on, but not everyone is so sure about it. I just read on the other thread Wicked - that your mare is also called Sky!
    My OH keeps asking me how Willow is, and I reply that Sky is fine, I'm not gone on willow, its a nice name so I don't know why. If I find a better name I might go for it, but until then she's sky, although she still seems to small yet to have a name.

I'm getting lots of nuzzling now from her on the back of my legs, this evening she did about 4 laps of mammy (her mammy) while she was eating, and each time came to check me out. I'm rubbing her mammy and then can turn to give her a little rub. She stood for a good while to let me rub her.
    When she walked past I rubbed her backside but I noticed twice when I did this she did a little buck or something as if she was thinking of kicking me away, checky brat! :P

Hope your getting on well with your one too Wicked, its great when the mares trust you and aren't wicked. My mother was chased out of the field one year by the other mare we keep, but she was in the other end of a field looking at another foal when this mare came running from the top of the field to chase her out. Now though a good few years later and foals later we have her in our yard and she is totally different and totally trusts us, which is much better. I'm still very wary though for her first few days after foaling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

Call the young nipper "wee Betsy Seamus McGlynn" after Paddy Murphy from down the road, I'd be much obliged to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

Wild ROse, lol.

Advertisement