Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming a foal

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Bella Rosa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Have you decided on a name yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

NO! :( I like Sky but no one else seems to. Haven't called her anything now
    Amber might be back on this list but I'm not 100% about it, don't know why! My niece suggested Sapphire, which is nice, or saffy / sapphie for short, but the way I say 'F' sometimes sounds like 'S' so nobody will hear me properly, I don't want to have to keep repeating myself. (Although as I'm typing I'm thinking that I might just go with it)

What do you's think? Amber / Sapphire / ... something else...

On another note, she's now 3 weeks old, and I'm still just petting her in the field, but it is very much under her terms (if she feels like letting me). The mare was in season and very narky anyway so I wasn't getting in her way too much, but she didn't mind me there with her or the foal. When they are separated from the 'due' mare soon I can start bringing them in and out of a stable. Its a bit of hassle right now unless I bring them all in - with all the calling and that, but the due mare is like an elephant now so I don't want to bother her with that.

Anyway - what else should I be doing with the foal, with out pushing her too much? I have gained her trust now, but we took the foal slip off her a while ago because it was slipping over her ear. Should I bother putting it back on her yet? When we are moving field should I leave her to follow the mare still or should I lead her (and put my arm around her backside)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Sky seems like a nice name - plus it's short and easy to say, especially if you have to call them out in the field, etc! :D

When we handle the foals at home, we pet them as much as we can when they're in the field or in the stable, but tend to leave them alone when moving them from the field to the yard. That way they can see the mother being led and it doesn't then seem to strange/traumatic when we do it with them later!

We also tend not to put head collars on the foals when they're in the field incase they get it caught in anything or put their foot through it (even if it's properly fitted). It's something we do if they're in the stable/around the yard so we can kep an eye on them and be close to hand just incase....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

What about Aura or Ianna (pronounced I-Anna), both simple but different.
    Ameerah or Amira are the arabic words for princess. I like the full name wild rose... you could go for rose in a different language for a shortened name ie Rosa-spanish, calanta and kalika are greek for blossom and rosebud respectively so maybe Callie for short??

Shes lovely by the way!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

She looks like a Topaz Sky to me :)

Trying to call her Amber this morning, it still isn't sitting very well with me though!

On a better note, we've had another addition to the family! A little colt this morning, which was surprising as the Mare has had 8 others (I think) and previously alternated between filly and colt every other year, we were expecting to see a filly! Both are fine and all 4 are now in doors with all the fields really soggy!
    Here's a pic - but not great on my phone first thing this morning...
    picture.php?pictureid=3039&albumid=548&dl=1242810913&thumb=1
    he's very wonky looking, naturally at under 2 hours old. :)
    P.S. - not mine so thankfully I don't have the naming issues all over again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

Hey ya,

i think if you like sky you should go with it. My mare is sky, i think its a great name for a horse.

The foal's pet name is going to be... wait for it... Sonny!!

so yes now i have Sky and Sonny!

waiting on our next one now, pony is due tomorrow fingers crossed all will be ok. haven't managed to put a picture up yet but will soon.

Wicked

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sareail

Yeah I like Sky :) thats an easy one to make into a registered name too.. Though if you're lucky enough to have a skewbald filly maybe you should name her appropriate to her colour!

Sareail wrote: »
    Yeah I like Sky :) thats an easy one to make into a registered name too.. Though if you're lucky enough to have a skewbald filly maybe you should name her appropriate to her colour!
    Glad you like Sky, because I just cannot call her Amber, for some reason.

What do you mean by a name appropriate to her colour? Nothing springs to my mind for anything related? I had a skewbald gelding years ago, he was called Patch!!! (sorry,I was young, and someone had put the name on him already) I don't really want to go for something obvious like that - but if you have suggestions then let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

I love Sky. I think it really suits her. I also like Winnie for some reason.

She's beautiful btw! Good luck with her!!

Just updating the photo of my little girl - Sky from the weekend.
    She didn't want to get up for her picture, she definitely has a really strong personality. And as her mom is the leader of the herd, she too is the leader of the foals. Lovely to see.

Here she is with one of her play mates - she's 3 months, he's 2 months. (sorry about the quality, just out in the field with my phone, so took a quick snap!)
    picture.php?albumid=548&pictureid=3491

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

Gorgeous! Sky really suits her!

Advertisement