Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IndyCar Series on Versus!

• 20-04-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

God, I thought I had a fair idea of how crap American television was but I was truly educated last night watching the Indycar on Sky Sports.

Indycar have switched broadcasters (from ESPN I think) to some cheapo channel called Versus and that's where Sky gets their feed from now.

But the commentary is painful to listen to. Everytime the American commenators went to a break, the lame ass said "Stay with us for the Indycar Series non-stop.......on Versus". Think about it, he's going to "some messages from our sponsors", and he's talking about NON-STOP!

Versus came up approximately every 3rd or 4th sentance out of this guy's mouth and every now and again he'd start waffling about some crowd that could give you a web address for one dollar!!

What made it unbearable was that there were breaks every five minutes. 5 laps to go, they take a break, the race ends, they take a break. Even the sky studio guys were getting fed up of it but at least they kept the live feed going while the other clowns went on their break..

Bring back Gary Lee and Larry Rice, or failing that, Sky need to organise their own commentary team because those guys are simply painful.

Anybody any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Versus run a 'side-by-side' ad feed, so you have two windows, one with the race and one with commercials and audio.

You've clearly not watched much American racing if any of this surprises you ;)

Lee and Rice were awful, they usually just waffled off about something irrelevant while the race was on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

gs39t wrote: »
    Versus run a 'side-by-side' ad feed, so you have two windows, one with the race and one with commercials and audio.

You've clearly not watched much American racing if any of this surprises you ;)

Lee and Rice were awful, they usually just waffled off about something irrelevant while the race was on

We don't get Versus in Ireland (as far as I know). Where are you?

I've watched a lot of American racing but thankfully on European channels very often with European commentators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

smooch71 wrote: »
    We don't get Versus in Ireland (as far as I know). Where are you?

Think he's just saying that to explain why the commentator is saying it's "non-stop".

I like the NASCAR commentators, the Versus commentators on the Indycar are truly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Even worse was when one of the commentators was waffling on about taking it easy in the early laps. He then quoted the "late" Stirling Moss.

I know he's old but he ain't dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

amacachi wrote: »
    Think he's just saying that to explain why the commentator is saying it's "non-stop".

Yeah, this. For the American audience it is non-stop. The world feed is actually non-stop also, but with the same commentary, so on the US breaks the worldfeed goes to incar/ambient audio, which is when the Sky Sports muppets throw their worthless opinions in

Bob Jenkins is the lead commentator for Versus and once upon a time he was the best play-by-play announcer out there.

The good alternative for any hardcore Indycar fans is to tune in the IMS radio audio from Indycar.com. Those guys really know their stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

gs39t wrote: »
    Yeah, this. For the American audience it is non-stop. The world feed is actually non-stop also, but with the same commentary, so on the US breaks the worldfeed goes to incar/ambient audio, which is when the Sky Sports muppets throw their worthless opinions in

Bob Jenkins is the lead commentator for Versus and once upon a time he was the best play-by-play announcer out there.

The good alternative for any hardcore Indycar fans is to tune in the IMS radio audio from Indycar.com. Those guys really know their stuff

Gotcha

If I'm not mistaken, Jenkins did the commentary on Sky's feed when they first started showing the IRL but to be honest my loyalties lay with CART at the time so I only had a passing interest in IRL. I have to say I find him insufferable now. Jack Arute is the only positive thing about Versus's commentary at the moment.

The IMS broadcast sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a shot next race.

Dcully left this link on a previous thread, I didn't try it yet because I had recorded the last race and watched it later, but it looks pretty cool.

http://www.indycar.com/racecontrol/indy_superadminu.html

Advertisement