Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer plans, hot weather...and film

• 20-04-2009 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

So I'm off rural Turkey and the USA this summer, super excited and I hope to get a ton of great photos! The only thing is that it's gonna be HOT...especially when I go to the Bonnaroo festival in Tennessee (yes, I am going to be seeing David Byrne's show! ). Hot as in 4 days of camping in a tent in the sun and no air con. As they say themselves in the bible belt...it's hotter in hell.

So my big question is, will I be able to bring film? I was thinking of bringing a few rolls of bog standard 35mm and 120mm, but I was also thinking of trying some Provia 100 (35 and 120mm). Is film or indeed slide film in general or provia in particular a no go for a 4 day camping trip in the searing heat? I was thinking of bringing a cooler bag to leave the camera in when I'm not using it and something like a thermos to keep exposed film in rather than leave it lying around in the car, but is this nececcary? Or should I bother at all? I know slide film can be a bit sensitive at times ;)

Anyone else got fun plans for the summer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

As long as the film is new enough, it should survive grand in the heat. Do some research and you might find you can even buy the film over there! Sounds like a good trip alright, looking forward to seeing the shots!

Plans? Good few jobs and enjoy myself in between :) I'm not a fan of extreme heat, so I'm waiting til Autumn to have some fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Film has been around a long time so I'm sure it will be ok, I'll let the experts here give you a more detailed response.

I'd be excited to use film you can never really use in Ireland though, ISO 25 and ISO 50 for instance!

I'm off to Paris in June, going to stay in a gite for a few days in the countryside and then spend a few days in the city. I currently don't know what camera(s) to bring with me. I want to bring a film camera or two but I'm also considering getting a new DSLR and buying it in Paris (as it may work out cheaper) but the city part of the trip is at the end of the holiday, so should I bring a lens and stick with film before I get the new camera... or bring my existing DSLR!

Post pics when you get back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've subjected film to quite a bit of abuse with no ill-effects, in one case stored in an un-air conditioned hotel room for a week at 30/35 degrees in Croatia (the hotel room was probably hotter than outside...). I always try and find a handy fridge to store it but I'm never too pushed.

I -do- have a couple of rolls though that I'm sort of wary of at this stage. They're a couple of years old and they always get thrown into the bag when I leave the country. Over the course of those 2 years they've been to Italy, Croatia (twice , southern Croatia and northern Croatia) , Serbia, Montenegro, and have been through innumerable x-ray exposures and wildly variable heat and humidity. I always shoot the fresh stuff first so there are a few laggards left after every trip... maybe next time ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

thanks for the replies folks! Ya I've had some near misses with film, x raying a roll of 800iso (Twice in the one day) and then freezing it on a camping trip a few days later, the best thing I had for insulation was to put it in a shoe!

I'll try not to let it melt so, I might invest in a cooler bag or some such just in case.

I was gonna try some infrared film with a red filter for when I go out to rural Turkey but it seems like it's hard enough to use, and I don't think my camera's geared up to use it in terms of settings etc...I've been doing a bit of reading on it and it seems tricky enough. Is it as hard to use as ppl say it is??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Schlemm wrote: »
    I was gonna try some infrared film with a red filter for when I go out to rural Turkey but it seems like it's hard enough to use, and I don't think my camera's geared up to use it in terms of settings etc...I've been doing a bit of reading on it and it seems tricky enough. Is it as hard to use as ppl say it is??

which infrared film ? I've only ever used Ilfords SFX which doesn't require any special handling, and the SFX filter has the advantage of being faintly see-through if you let your eyes adjust. Other IR films require that they be loaded/unloaded in darkness though, and your camera might not be suitable, some cameras internally use an IR led to count the film advance. A quick google ought to clear that up at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

One tip for film/slide if you're away foreign... don't be tempted by prices to get it developed cheaply! Or chance it and develop a roll that you're not too bothered about first cos you may need to get rolls overexposed or underexposed by a stop, depending on the country...
    Infrared is not that hard to use, but I load it in the dark at home before I go out (has been ages though) and then unkload it in the dark again when I get back - A film change bag might be worth investing in. I've never travelled with infrared though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Schlemm wrote: »

Its not as hard as its made out to be. There are some common myths and misconceptions about using Infrared film which confuse a lot of people or simply puts them off trying.

Advertisement