Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul John Gascoigne

• 20-04-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Starting this thread after seeing him on Soccer Am and BBC , its kinda heartbreaking to see what Drink and excess has to one of the greatest talents of generation, he looks a shadow of himself and also sounds like the drink has damaged his speech. Fair enough its his own fault the way his life has gone, but in saying that and putting aside his troubles this man was one of the greatest footballers to grace the game, he scored excellent goals and brought fun to the game.

Its good to see him get one more chance, and I hope he doesnt fall of the wagon again, its a massive pity he flittered away such a talent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Was very sad seeing him struggling even to speak properly alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

When could he ever speak properly?? He's always nearly needed subtitles to understand his slurry geordie accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That was his accent.. That is very different to him actually finding it difficult to talk..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd imagine his speech is more slurred because of anti depressents/anti phycotic drugs he is on. its a very common down side to some of these medications afaik.

i actually thought it was nice to see him on MOTD2 last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i'd imagine his speech is more slurred because of anti depressents/anti phycotic drugs he is on. its a very common down side to some of these medications afaik.

i actually thought it was nice to see him on MOTD2 last night.

Agreed Al. He is actually coming across as well as he has for at least 2 or 3 years. Thought he came across well on MOTD2, and still had a great sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I missed him last night, but it is good to see him a bit further away from death's door.

I loved watching him play, it was like he had velcro on his boots thatthe ball stuck to.

also love the flick over Hendry's head for the goal against Scotland...you can never get bored of beating Scotland (To kinda quote BO'D) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

+1

Was good to see him laughing and joking on MOTD2. Looked fit as a fiddle too. Said a lot about him that in his mind he can still be a footballer. Seems to have struggled hugely in moving on from football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd have limited sympathy for the man.

Largely squandered his prolific talent and carried his "I'm Mad, me" persona a bit too far at times.

Wish him the best for the future though - he's gonna need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I felt really sorry for him when he said that he lived for football. Gave the impression that he really missed it. But I admired how he was able to take a joke. Saying that he wouldn't go drinking after a game, Dixonsaying it was before a game instead, and he took it in the good manner that it was intended.
    Charlie wrote: »
    Agreed Al. He is actually coming across as well as he has for at least 2 or 3 years. Thought he came across well on MOTD2, and still had a great sense of humour.
    Daemonic wrote: »
    +1

Was good to see him laughing and joking on MOTD2. Looked fit as a fiddle too. Said a lot about him that in his mind he can still be a footballer. Seems to have struggled hugely in moving on from football.

You'd have loved to have seen him on Soccer AM so. Was getting involved in everything, had a great sense of humour, looked like he was really enjoying himself. It was really satisfying to see him in such a good mood.
    bullpost wrote: »
    I'd have limited sympathy for the man.

Largely squandered his prolific talent and carried his "I'm Mad, me" persona a bit too far at times.

Wish him the best for the future though - he's gonna need it.

I agree in theory, but I definately have respect for the man for trying to turn is life around. What was it he said? 15 months off drugs, 6 months off drink? Giving his past, that is quite an accomplishment, and I hope he continues with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He was a great footballer and very passionate about the game. Tragic the way his life has gone but he can't blame anyone but himself for most of it. Good to see him trying to rebuild his life. True legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement