Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New i7 Build - Comments

Options
  • 20-04-2009 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Built 2 PC's myself about 6 years ago. Want to build a high end game PC for myself. A little inexperienced at building as I haven't done it for a while. So would appreciate any comments - suggestions - critical advice. Want to spend around €1,800 which is a rough mark.

All the below stuff ok or can I upgrade/downgrade in parts to get more performance.

All comments welcome

is.php?i=69497&img=komp.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

That's a good price for the DVDburner/Blu-ray/HDDVD reader! Have you heard/read anyhting good about it, know anyone who's used it?
    does it burn cds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ya could go for a cheaper x58 mobo.

an ATI x2 instead of the 507 nvidia card? - not sure what card is best bang per buck right now myself.

what you save could be put towards a intel/samsung ssd for the OS drive :)

you have a kb/mouse & monitor yes?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Err... all I see is a picture of a laptop... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

looks fine by my standards, maybe consider buying from an english site to save on the cost of some parts, for e.g I got my gtx295 off specialtech.co.uk for 380 sterling and it work out at around 410 with the exchange rate and they delivered for around 20 euro.

The asus p6t is a good alternative to the rampage
    Samsung 1tb f1 is a better 1TB harddrive
    Check out memoryc.ie for prices on the memory as they tend to be alot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=392557 much better motherboard imho i have the ud4p version and the quality is excellent great for overclocking

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Comparison from HWVS:

Antec Twelve Hundred - €150.85
    Asus Rampage II Extreme - €304.91
    6GB OCZ Platinum PC12800 CL7 - €93.72
    Corsair TX750W - €104.49
    ZOTAC GTX295 - €439.61
    Intel i7-920 - €259.73
    Pioneer BD-ROM/DVD combo - €87.35
    Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM - €88.74
    Samsung EcoGreen 1TB 32MB cache - €76.45

Total - €1605.85

I kept to your spec as close as possible, but why the Rampage? Its a bit pricey even at HWVS. I also chose the OCZ Platinum due to tighter latencies at the same speed and voltage despite a huge price difference :) You're also missing the CPU cooler, which will be almost a neccessity if you intend to OC, and if you want to seriously game on i7 then you will want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Marucci

kaimera wrote: »
    ya could go for a cheaper x58 mobo.

an ATI x2 instead of the 507 nvidia card? - not sure what card is best bang per buck right now myself.

what you save could be put towards a intel/samsung ssd for the OS drive :)

you have a kb/mouse & monitor yes?

Was thinking the mobo was a bit much. Just read that it was easy to o/c.

Also not sure on the ATI/nVidia card also which is the better. Had typically gone with nvidia in the past and served me well.

G15 keyboard &G9 Laser mouse.

Thanks for comments will certainly put more thought into it :)

requiem1 wrote: »
    looks fine by my standards, maybe consider buying from an english site to save on the cost of some parts, for e.g I got my gtx295 off specialtech.co.uk for 380 sterling and it work out at around 410 with the exchange rate and they delivered for around 20 euro.

The asus p6t is a good alternative to the rampage
    Samsung 1tb f1 is a better 1TB harddrive
    Check out memoryc.ie for prices on the memory as they tend to be alot cheaper

Thanks will certainly see if I can get them cheaper :)

Solitaire wrote: »
    Comparison from HWVS:

Antec Twelve Hundred - €150.85
    Asus Rampage II Extreme - €304.91
    6GB OCZ Platinum PC12800 CL7 - €93.72
    Corsair TX750W - €104.49
    ZOTAC GTX295 - €439.61
    Intel i7-920 - €259.73
    Pioneer BD-ROM/DVD combo - €87.35
    Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM - €88.74
    Samsung EcoGreen 1TB 32MB cache - €76.45

Total - €1605.85

I kept to your spec as close as possible, but why the Rampage? Its a bit pricey even at HWVS. I also chose the OCZ Platinum due to tighter latencies at the same speed and voltage despite a huge price difference :) You're also missing the CPU cooler, which will be almost a neccessity if you intend to OC, and if you want to seriously game on i7 then you will want to.

Cheers I think I will actually go with Grims mobo and the rest from above from HWVS. Cheers for all the comments, really great help thanks.

I'm not familiar with cooling systems apart from the standard with the CPU.

Coolermaster V8 should be ok for the i7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

not sure if the v8 comes with an 1366 mounting plate/brackets if it does then yeah its a great cooler and more than enough to cool an i7

if it dosnt this is an excellent cooler aswell http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-005-NC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Grim. wrote: »
    not sure if the v8 comes with an 1366 mounting plate/brackets if it does then yeah its a great cooler and more than enough to cool an i7

if it dosnt this is an excellent cooler aswell http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-005-NC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395
    according to the OCUK reviews of the V8 it does come with the brackets for the socket1336.

out of stock at the moment so I'm picking up the Noctua you linked. Might as well get the 3rd party cooler when and strip the rig and sort my cable management at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

git rid of that s40 and you might be able to afford that A5

Advertisement