Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a n95 8gb second hand

• 20-04-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

What should i defo check to make sure its working, I've never used one before

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Load the camera, take a photo and a video and bluetooth them to another phone

Go outside, turn on the gps and make sure it can get a lock. This might take up to a minute and it locks faster if you're not holding it, put it down on a wall or something

Bring some earphones, turn the radio on and put it on loudspeaker, making sure both speakers at the side work. Listen through the earphones too and if possible use the handdfree earphones that come with it to test the microphone

With the radio on, use the volume buttons at the side

Press all the buttons

Test out the WLAN if possible. Go into tools->Wlan wizard and search for networks. If there are none around you can't do this obviously

Make an internet connection. If it doesn't have the right settings you can go into tools->utilities->settings wizard and it'll download them

Copy some files onto the bulk memory and confirm its size by going into tools->utilities->memory

Put your sim in, turn it on and wait a while to see if it starts to say sim registration failed. That would most likely mean that it's been blacklisted. Bring sims from a few networks to check if possible

And make a phone call of course :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Load the camera, take a photo and a video and bluetooth them to another phone

Go outside, turn on the gps and make sure it can get a lock. This might take up to a minute and it locks faster if you're not holding it, put it down on a wall or something

Bring some earphones, turn the radio on and put it on loudspeaker, making sure both speakers at the side work. Listen through the earphones too and if possible use the handdfree earphones that come with it to test the microphone

With the radio on, use the volume buttons at the side

Press all the buttons

Test out the WLAN if possible. Go into tools->Wlan wizard and search for networks. If there are none around you can't do this obviously

Make an internet connection. If it doesn't have the right settings you can go into tools->utilities->settings wizard and it'll download them

Copy some files onto the bulk memory and confirm its size by going into tools->utilities->memory

Put your sim in, turn it on and wait a while to see if it starts to say sim registration failed. That would most likely mean that it's been blacklisted. Bring sims from a few networks to check if possible

And make a phone call of course :D

Thanks mate

One other thing, are there fake n95s going around? I'm planning on buying one here but the OP hasn't really got a history on boards http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=105732&cat=fav and i'm a bit wary

Thanks mate

One other thing, are there fake n95s going around? I'm planning on buying one here but the OP hasn't really got a history on boards http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=105732&cat=fav and i'm a bit wary

Probably but looking at the one in the picture it looks genuine. The fake ones are usually easy to spot. If it looks genuine to you but you want to be sure you can go into tools->utilities->about and see if there's information about the S60 platform and being copyright of nokia and if you take the battery out you should see a sticker with nokia information on it and the imei and WLAN MAC address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

if you got in quick enough to buy mine you could have tested it to yor hearts content! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

are there fake n95s going around?

Yes fakes around, you can pick one up easy enough...costs roughly €200 (made in china)

The poster only registered this month, says he bought it in carphone warehouse, has he got the proof? Can he produce it?

I'm not sure but i'd guess it's about €500 sim free...

seems a bit to cheap for a new one, still it's a recession, there's deals to be had...just be cautious...

• Advertisement

The poster only registered this month, says he bought it in carphone warehouse, has he got the proof? Can he produce it?

If that's the case, you can call cpw customer care on 1800 424 800 and give them the imei and they'll be able to tell you if it was bought there

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

What should i defo check to make sure its working, I've never used one before

look at this
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/44/37773644.html

i know the seller. all info and receipts can be supplied by e-mail before buy.
    selling to buy iphone

Soot-fan wrote: »
    look at this
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/44/37773644.html

i know the seller. all info and receipts can be supplied by e-mail before buy.
    selling to buy iphone

What?

Engrish please? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

If you didn’t understand that it’s best you don’t buy N95 8g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there are (apparently) 5 or more different clones/fakes of the n95 going round at the moment and despite most looking fairly shoddy, one or two of them are actually hard to spot unless you know what you're looking for.

ideally, take someone with you who has an n95 and then you'll be able to see pretty quickly if it's genuine or not.

good luck anyway and don't part with your cash until you are 100% sure.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    there are (apparently) 5 or more different clones/fakes of the n95 going round at the moment and despite most looking fairly shoddy, one or two of them are actually hard to spot unless you know what you're looking for.

ideally, take someone with you who has an n95 and then you'll be able to see pretty quickly if it's genuine or not.

good luck anyway and don't part with your cash until you are 100% sure.

Deal was done months ago, everything went great but thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Soot-fan wrote: »
    If you didn’t understand that it’s best you don’t buy N95 8g.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

*#92702689# - Brings up the life timer. Can verify how long the owner has had the phone.

*#0000# - Brings up the details of firmware and dates. Again can be used to verfiy the lifetime etc

I also act stupid and get the seller to demostate the phone. They should know about it.

Oh, and the N95 8GB and N95 are two different phones. Be sure its an 8GB version as you can swap the facias.

The clones won't have Wifi I would presume. The batterys must also be Nokia and have a hologram, which is your scratch off has a code underneath.

The going rate is €300 by the way, so don't be put off by a deal. 99% of Irish N95's are legit.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Oh, and the N95 8GB and N95 are two different phones. Be sure its an 8GB version as you can swap the facias.

It's not really relevant because the thread is 2 months old but anyway :)

I don't think you can swap the fascias between the standard and the 8GB, the screens are different sizes:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=2088&idPhone1=1716

N95: 240 x 320 pixels, 2.6 inches, 40 x 53 mm
    8GB: 240 x 320 pixels, 2.8 inches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I don't think you can swap the fascias between the standard and the 8GB, the screens are different sizes:

Actually ironclaw is right, but you need to swap the fascia and the screen. The screens are different, but the housings are the same size ;)

Advertisement