Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shanghai sirprise - Vettel!!

• 20-04-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Can't believe this place isn't buzzing about Vettel's win yesterday!

I wasn't sure about this kid at first but I'm becoming a big fan especially considering the guy's personality. His discussion with Brundle and DC on the grid about how he names his cars (Kate's dirty sister:D) and his ribbing of Coulthard for being a ladies man were great (as were his comnments about keeping his balls cool with dry ice in previous week). Then he steps in and drives a faultless race:)...

Compared to Lewis' goody two-shoes corporate-speak and the generally humour-free comments of Alonso, Kubica etc. the guy is such a breath of fresh air. He's kinda like Valentino Rossi but cooler 'cos he doesn't resort to gimmicks or BS.

Feel a bit sorry for Webber. He's been a good match for the kid, woulda liked to see him get his first win.

What a fantastic season so far! Nice guys winning races and McLaren and Lewis getting their bad karma back for screwing over Alonso in '07.:D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

His qualifying was very impressive also! He had issues with the car and had only one oppertunity to do his lap in Q3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I definite think he has picked up a number of fans over this weekend alone. Hopefully as he becomes more experienced he doesn't turn into another monotone driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

id say he will one or two more races this year... then it will be a big push for next year... he will need to be in the top 3 in every race to work out next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

pburns wrote: »
    Can't believe this place isn't buzzing about Vettel's win yesterday!

I wasn't sure about this kid at first but I'm becoming a big fan especially considering the guy's personality. His discussion with Brundle and DC on the grid about how he names his cars (Kate's dirty sister:D) and his ribbing of Coulthard for being a ladies man were great (as were his comnments about keeping his balls cool with dry ice in previous week). Then he steps in and drives a faultless race:)...

Compared to Lewis' goody two-shoes corporate-speak and the generally humour-free comments of Alonso, Kubica etc. the guy is such a breath of fresh air. He's kinda like Valentino Rossi but cooler 'cos he doesn't resort to gimmicks or BS.

Feel a bit sorry for Webber. He's been a good match for the kid, woulda liked to see him get his first win.

What a fantastic season so far! Nice guys winning races and McLaren and Lewis getting their bad karma back for screwing over Alonso in '07.:D

I've been a fan of him since before he joined F1, so I wasn't surprised that he got that win for Torro Rosso last year! I missed all that commentary though that you quoted, pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

Biro wrote: »
    I've been a fan of him since before he joined F1, so I wasn't surprised that he got that win for Torro Rosso last year! I missed all that commentary though that you quoted, pity!

Here is the link to Vettel's interview before the Chinese Grand Prix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXQt03Xu37s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Chopper888 wrote: »

Good man, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Chopper888 wrote: »

Good stuff. They need to keep Coulthard away from the grid in future though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dsmythy wrote: »
    Good stuff. They need to keep Coulthard away from the grid in future though.

Get rid of him altogether
    Thick muppet :D

Did you hear his latest rant?
    "Get rid of Kimi and get Alonso to Ferrari"
    C'Mon Davey boy... Kimi is a wc which is more than you acheived and he also whipped your a$$ while at McLaren :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

vectra wrote: »
    Get rid of him altogether
    Thick muppet :D

Did you hear his latest rant?
    "Get rid of Kimi and get Alonso to Ferrari"
    C'Mon Davey boy... Kimi is a wc which is more than you acheived and he also whipped your a$$ while at McLaren :rolleyes:

He's got a point (despite never having even won a championship himself, and having only taken part in 246 GPs). Since winning the title, Raikkonen has had his arse regularly kicked by Massa. He's still sporadically fast (as proven by the number of fastest laps he had last year), but inexplicably inconsistent.

Besides, with the new cost-cutting initiatives next year, Ferrari will no longer have the luxury of being able to throw hundreds of millions into the car. To combat this, I reckon they should go back to having a clear 'Number 1' driver and a quick-but-unthreatening rear-gunner. Alonso would fit the bill perfectly, and Mark Webber would be an ideal sidekick (plus, he needs to get the hell out of Red Bull before Vettel's pace completely smashes his confidence).

Vettel's brilliant. All the confidence of Schumacher, but none of the arrogance. Hopefully all the "Stier Scheiße" and politics of F1 won't ruin him over the next few years.

RayM wrote: »
    He's got a point (despite never having even won a championship himself, and having only taken part in 246 GPs). Since winning the title, Raikkonen has had his arse regularly kicked by Massa. He's still fast (as proven by the number of fastest laps he had last year), but inexplicably inconsistent.

Besides, with the new cost-cutting initiatives next year, Ferrari will no longer have the luxury of being able to throw hundreds of millions into the car. To combat this, I reckon they should go back to having a clear 'Number 1' driver and a quick-but-unthreatening rear-gunner. Alonso would fit the bill perfectly, and Mark Webber would be an ideal sidekick (plus, he needs to get the hell out of Red Bull before Vettel's pace completely smashes his confidence).

Vettel's brilliant. All the confidence of Schumacher, but none of the arrogance. Hopefully all the "Stier Scheiße" and politics of F1 won't ruin him over the next few years.

Yes
    Vettel is brilliant
    Coulthard is a Muppet
    If Ferrari can build a car to suit kimi then Nobody on the grid would be capable of beating him
    Put alonso in there and give him a $hite car and he still would get nowhere
    Doesnt matter eho sits in a wheelbarrow.. It simply will not perform ;)

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    He's got a point (despite never having even won a championship himself, and having only taken part in 246 GPs).

Ha
    I see Coulthard got his answer today,,, Twat should keep his trap shut.:)
    Kimi Raikkonen bit back at his former McLaren teammate David Coulthard on Friday, after the retired Scot questioned the Ferrari driver's car development abilities.

Amid Ferrari's current slump, 38-year-old Coulthard suggested the Italian team would do better to dump the 2007 World Champion and instead hire Fernando Alonso.

"The Finn has never shown me he can lead a car's development," Coulthard, now Red Bull's reserve driver and a pundit for British TV, wrote in a column.

To the Finnish broadcaster MTV3 in Bahrain, 29-year-old Raikkonen responded: "I don't know any driver who develops the cars."

"I think it's pretty funny to hear comments like those from people who never really achieved anything. It's none of my business, what a guy," the Finn added.

Martin Whitmarsh, boss of the McLaren team, also contradicted Coulthard's comments.

"The fact is, he is very sensitive to what makes a car quicker and is very intelligent -- he just doesn't always give it all away," said the Briton, referring to Raikkonen, who raced for the Mercedes-powered team between 2002 and 2006.

"Based on my experience of when he was here he was a very committed development driver. When he spoke those few words they were always very valuable," Whitmarsh added.

40 Love to Kimi :D

Advertisement