Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping in Wicklow

Options
  • 20-04-2009 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I've lived in the Wicklow countryside for the last three years and spend alot of time out walking. My question to other Wicklow residents is why is there such a huge problem with illegal dumping? Is it a cultural thing? Are Wicklow people so used to the wonderful county they inhabit that they don't care about it? Being involved in Forestry I travel all over the country and I have never seen dumping as bad as in Wicklow. Nor do I know of any county that has projects such as The Pure project for cleaning up this mess. Almost every forest entrance has a mattress or bags of rubbish. After Christmas it's ridiculous with bags of cardboard etc.. Why oh Why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

If you could answer that question, we might be able to figure out the mind of a litterer - don't think we ever will though.

If one is the type of person who sees nothing wrong with leaving a bag of household rubbish on the side of a road, then I don't think that behaviour will ever change.

I was on my bike up in Enniskerry recently.... bags of rubbish dumped on the main road.... wheels dumped in ditches and a mattress dumped at the side of a forest...

It was sickening... when I head to Wicklow there's a field which is always dumped in... tvs, kitchen sinks etc.....

It's not that expensive to use dumps so you have to ask why people don't...... I think that those who dump just do not care. They don't see what thy are destroying by their irresponsible behaviour.

Just the other night I asked some youth to pick up the crisp bag he'd so blatantly on Bray seafront (after having used the beach for his enjoyment during the day).... typical response of "F**k off" but I stood my ground and told him that he'd just used the area so why not respect it.... Same response again plus the threat of a bottle to the face by his friend.... Stood my ground and they walked off!

It;s all to do with the way one is reared I think and the education system doesn't foster a sense of social responsibility - so if you haven't been taught by your folks to not litter, you;ll do it without a thought....

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

A question for the OP.
    What makes you think that the dumping is being carried out by Wicklow residents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Kenn sprinter

I'm sure the dumping is not only carried out by Wicklow residents, although if someone has a tendency for dumping why would they waste money by driving to another county? Anyway just looking for a discussion, no offence intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

It might just be more noticeable in Wicklow as that's where I'd be cycling and driving through... I wouldn't be travelling the backroads of Dublin so wouldn't see fly tipping there although I'm sure it goes on.

When I was in Connemara a few years back I couldn't get over some of the fly tipping I saw down country lanes in tourist areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

R115 - Kilakee road :(

I would be willing to help Wicklow County Council to clean this (as I'm using that slope to fly my model glider)
    if only they provide the skip - really big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Dennisz, I think I saw you on saturday afternoon. I stopped my car and watched your plane. I saw that mess. It's really sad cus its an amazing view and then you look down at the black bags and rubbish. Its just laziness. I found a tv and microwave in a road off Aughram, Co Wicklow. I brought it to Avoca (5 miles away)recycling and left it their for free.And the staff are hellpful.But I wonder if Wicklow have more of these centre's and maybe it could be more advertised. I do think alot of dumping is carried out by County Wicklow residents.I find it hard to believe that people drive from other counties to dump in rural Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

A few years ago I was doing a lot of garden work in the house which of course generates the usual rubbish. Had ordered a skip but some of the debris was in the front garden waiting for the skip.

A bloke came up in his van and said he could take it all away for €20 a load. Said he had access to a dump in Avoca that was cheap to use. I told him I didn't think you could call the side of a road a dump and that I'd prefer to get rid of my rubbish myself. He was not amused.

Point is, I have talked to people who were happy to use this kind of service and when told that the rubbish would be thrown on the side of the road they didn't care as it was out of their way:mad: With this kind of attitude you will always get illegal dumping :(

Sad to see the mess it creates :mad:

Advertisement