Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right or wrong sparks?

• 20-04-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm changing the sparks on my BMW 318iSE E46 (August 2001 model) and I bought some new Bosch spark plugs in consort. The odd thing is...they have four pins each and I have never seen them before. My old plugs are NGK BKR6EK and they only have two pins each. I've tried ringing consort to check this out but I cant get through. Do i have the right sparks? Are they simply an upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the motors forum can be found HERE ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Actually, why don't I just move it...? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Sedan/Europe/318i-M43/RHD/N/2001/august/browse/engine_electrical_system/ignition_coil_spark_plug/#12%C2%A012%C2%A00%C2%A0141%C2%A0871

spark plugs for 318 M43/ N42 are

BOSCH FGR7DQP or NGK BKR6EQUP
    both have 4 pins accoriding to google search
    perhaps incorect plugs previously fitted.
    i have a M43 engine and it has 2 pin spark plug

BOSCH FGR7DQP
    Universal%20J-pegs%5CBOSCH%20PLATINUM%204.jpg

NGK BKR6EQUP
    image278.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

peasant wrote: »
    the motors forum can be found HERE ;)
    Haven't you just sent our resident BMW spark plug expert on holidays?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

make sure they are the right length anyway - ie they screw in the same amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

these 4 pin ones are High power spark plugs - better quality

http://www.bmwtradeparts.co.uk/PDF/Why/21.pdf
    Function in detail
    – For normal driving, the spark plug must withstand voltage discharges from 20 – 30 kV, 55 times per second; in "stop and go" traffic, it
    must resist wear-inducing load changes; and in cold starts, it must withstand soot deposits.
    – To reduce spark erosion and to guarantee a reliable ignition, Genuine BMW High Power Spark Plugs use highly erosion-resistant
    materials like iridium or platinum in conjunction with ground electrodes.
    – The spark plugs’ heat range is an index of its capacity to absorb and dissipate thermal energy.
    – The characteristics of each BMW engine with regard to load, sealing, engine speed, cooling and fuel require a spark plug exactly matched
    to these requirements. Every engine variant has its own specification of Genuine BMW High Power Spark Plug to guarantee high
    efficiency.
    – The insulator in which the centre electrode is located determines its heat conductivity and prevents uncontrolled arcing.
    – Through semi-slide spark technology, the ignition spark always occurs over the insulator tip every time to clear away any possible
    deposits. This achieves optimal soot deposit prevention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

There the latest thing on the market, once there the same

lenght and tread as your old ones you'll be fine.

There also meant to improve fule economy, so could be well

worth putting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Muckie wrote: »
    There the latest thing on the market, once there the same

lenght and tread as your old ones you'll be fine.

There also meant to improve fule economy, so could be well

worth putting in.

Sorry I forgot to get back. The sparks were fine. same length and width and y baby is working great

Advertisement