Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to the wicklow way.

Options
  • 20-04-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

I was surprised to see the wicklow way has been re-routed at the three rock when I was in that area last saturday. It must have been very recent because it was not there prior to the snow. And they have blocked off that badly eroded path that went straight up through the trees onto the open heath. I think I might be liking the new route - anyone else think differently?

One change I would love to see on the wicklow way is at the point where the wicklow way comes down onto the glencullen road at the abandoned cottage (or the "Stubbs house" as I call it). You then have to walk for some distance on the main road until you get to the Boranaltry bridge. So much easier and nicer if you could just cross the road at this point, walk across the valley (which is quite narrow here) and then connect with the trail on the other side.

But then this feeds into the whole walker vrs landowner vrs right-to-roam issue, I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

dogmatix wrote: »
    I was surprised to see the wicklow way has been re-routed at the three rock when I was in that area last saturday. It must have been very recent because it was not there prior to the snow. And they have blocked off that badly eroded path that went straight up through the trees onto the open heath. I think I might be liking the new route - anyone else think differently?
    I noticed this yesterday when I got the new Dublin Mountains map from East West. Seems to be a more direct (and logical) route than the old one and avoids some of that boring forest (or, rather, ex-forest now that the loggers have been). Mind you, I've never quite understood why the Way doesn't take you up to 3 Rock and then Fairy Castle (but then the Way seems to take a perverse delight in routing away from anywhere interesting).
    One change I would love to see on the wicklow way is at the point where the wicklow way comes down onto the glencullen road at the abandoned cottage (or the "Stubbs house" as I call it). You then have to walk for some distance on the main road until you get to the Boranaltry bridge. So much easier and nicer if you could just cross the road at this point, walk across the valley (which is quite narrow here) and then connect with the trail on the other side.

But then this feeds into the whole walker vrs landowner vrs right-to-roam issue, I suppose.

Agree. That stretch is a complete pain the ***, especially given the speed the cars travel on that road. I think the Way originally descended much closer to Boranaltry Bridge but was then moved when a landowner denied access. The section where the Way emerges seems to be right opposite a farm so I assume access is a big problem. A shame because the descent into the valley between Fairy Castle and Tibradden is quite pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The WW was changed a good few years ago to no longer summit any of the peaks along its lenght.

Three Rock
    Fairy Castle
    Prince Williams Seat
    Djouce
    That one south of Glendalough which I've drawn a blank one

have all been taken off it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That one south of Glendalough which I've drawn a blank on
    That'd be Mullacor, I guess. It is a horrible muddy, eroded, furrowed mess of a track leading down from the summit, mind you, so I'm not really surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alun wrote: »
    That'd be Mullacor, I guess.

It would indeed, that was driving me mad for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

dogmatix wrote: »

Looks like eastwest mapping are on the ball and have published an admendum to their map showing the route change.:

http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/wicklowway.html

"Route Changes Map 2 Kilmashogue"

• Advertisement
Advertisement