If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need recommendation for upgrading TV

Options
  • 20-04-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi
    Thinking its time to upgrade my tv and have started the battle with the financial controller to get her to release some funds :p
    I have a 7 yr old panasonic viera 42 sd using sky I want to upgrade to a HD tv using Sky. I also do a lot of gaming on Ps3, xbox360 and Wii.
    So looking for a 42-46 HD tv for Sky and gaming with a budget of 1000 euro (hopefully).So have you guys any recommendations or good deals at present ? ;)
    cheers
    joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Personally I'd recommend the the 40/46" Samsung A686, or the new 6 series 'B' upgrades - brilliant for gaming and very good for SD

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

sentenel wrote: »
    Hi
    Thinking its time to upgrade my tv and have started the battle with the financial controller to get her to release some funds :p
    I have a 7 yr old panasonic viera 42 sd using sky I want to upgrade to a HD tv using Sky. I also do a lot of gaming on Ps3, xbox360 and Wii.
    So looking for a 42-46 HD tv for Sky and gaming with a budget of 1000 euro (hopefully).So have you guys any recommendations or good deals at present ? ;)
    cheers
    joe

Sentenel,

Thanks for the post and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I agree with Jev/N that the Sammy 686 46" is brilliant - however it will blow the budget a bit as it's £999.95 (approx €1199) - I don't think there is another 46" at that price to touch it (and it looks sexy too)

If you want to spend a little less - the Sharp LC46X8E is also great, I have actually just sold one to a friend of mine who is a bit of an AV anorak and he is deligeted with it - this is just £799.95 and really does look great on SD and HD content.

At 42" the new Philips 42PFL5604 H is just coming out at the moment and we have a launch offer on this at just Euro €899.95 - this is a full HD LCD with MPEG4 decoder on board and I'm not sure if this is important - but it sounds completely amazing! see details here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl5604h_12/42pfl5604h_12_pss_aen.pdf

Anyway enough waffle!

Drop me a line if I can assist in any way or if you would like me to reserve any of the above for you ,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi
    Thanks Johnmc and jev/N,
    I like that samsung, the reviews look good and its a nice looking set. Don't know about the Philips lcd had bad experience with one before(but aftercare/customer care was great).
    I was checking out the Panasonic 42G10 and the reviews looked good hope to go check out some of them in the flesh tomorrow.Have you any recommendations about the panny G10 Johnmc and what's the price?
    Thanks again
    joe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

Hi Sentenel,
    Their price on the Richersounds.com site is £999.95.

See the review here www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-TX-P42G10-Review.html

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Thnks invincible
    I had read that review and its a great piece of kit (and price).
    I went into the local tv place here to look at their philips,samsung and sharp stuff,they had no panasonic on display, but the salesman was chatting about gaa to a local sky installer so after 20 mins of looking and waiting i left muppet :mad:
    So i think I'll have to go for the 42G10 now to convince the wife to release the money :D and put the old panasonic in the bedroom.
    Johnmc
    I bought my very first dvd player and had the motherboaard replaced to make it region free years ago in richersounds on the quays then a hifi seperates unit, always had great service then and its good to hear that still applies today.
    cheers
    joe

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

sentenel wrote: »
    Thnks invincible
    I had read that review and its a great piece of kit (and price).
    I went into the local tv place here to look at their philips,samsung and sharp stuff,they had no panasonic on display, but the salesman was chatting about gaa to a local sky installer so after 20 mins of looking and waiting i left muppet :mad:
    So i think I'll have to go for the 42G10 now to convince the wife to release the money :D and put the old panasonic in the bedroom.
    Johnmc
    I bought my very first dvd player and had the motherboaard replaced to make it region free years ago in richersounds on the quays then a hifi seperates unit, always had great service then and its good to hear that still applies today.
    cheers
    joe

Thanks for that Joe - G10 available from stock!

And thanks for the kind words and yes we do hope that our service is better than most retailers - at least when you come into a Richer Sounds shop you won't have to stand around being ignored for 20 minutes listening to the Sales Colleagues talking about GAA as was your experience - in fact you will probably have to avoid Matt going on about Man U, Dave on Chelsea, Kenny and Paul arguing about which is better the Supra or 300Z and Paddy having a row about last night's Gig with Jay who is also trying to separate Matt and Dave at this stage coming to blows about who will win the league and trying to keep the peace - and as our shop is so damn small you will have no choice but to get involved in the conversation - you see you think it's good service - but it's just that the shops are so small we can't avoid speaking to our Customers ;),

Thanks again and keep me posted!

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.