Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carraroe Retail Park.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

The one in Carraroe is usually very busy actually. What time of the day do you go in?
    Go in any time between 1 and 7 and you will more than likely have to queue. Don't forget their is also a drive thru so it's not just the people in the restaurant that you can judge whether if it is busy or not.

It may be a bad sign, but not necessarily a bad thing! Personally, I'd eat a Maccy D once or twice a year. I was there last week & it was very busy at lunchtime & the time before that was a Friday evening & it was also very busy - and that was when the one in town was still open.

I don't see it closing any time soon.

So you have had your years allowance already:D

It most definitely will not be closing down anytime soon,they wouldn't have closed their premises in town if they didn't think Carraroe wasn't going to make money and why would they have invested €2 million or so if they didn't believe it could be a success.
    It's a matter of time before the retail park recuperates and gets some business back.It has already started to pick up in the last few weeks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

bobcar61 wrote: »
    The one in Carraroe is usually very busy actually.
    `
    You must be joking. It is usually mostly empty.

why would they have invested €2 million or so if they didn't believe it could be a success.
    Its not a very big McDonalds, the couple of cash registers they have must be gold plated if the building and fit out cost 2 million. The building in Sligo was leased : I would expect the one in Carraroe would be leased too. When the lease is up, they will be gone.( unless things improve). I suppose why would any of the big foreign companies ( and most if not all of the businesses in Carraroe warehouse park are foreign owned, are they not ? ) have set up in Carraroe only they thought the tiger would go on forever and they did not know the local market ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

jimmmy wrote: »
    `
    You must be joking. It is usually mostly empty.

I'll trust bobcar on this one, jimmmy, if you don't mind - he's at the retail park more than any of us (bar fozzle) I'd wager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So you have had your years allowance already:D

Sad, but true. I hope they're still doing the McTasty with bacon next year. :eek:

Xiney wrote: »
    I'll trust bobcar on this one, jimmmy, if you don't mind - he's at the retail park more than any of us (bar fozzle) I'd wager.

I was only going on personal experience of whenever I was there, and the experience of eight or ten people whom I know who frequent it. None have a vested interest in it or the area. Just look at it or visit it - its seldom that busy.....why would it be, you have to drive to it to access it........did you ever see anyone walking to it from the ( mostly empty ) warehouse retail park, or town ? One cash register selling burgers @ 1 euro each is not going to pay off 2 million for anyone that quickly icon6.gif

Well Jimmmy, most people in Sligo drive. And for people who live outside of Sligo, the retail park is certainly a preferable option to actually going inside the town with a car.

Well Jimmmy, most people in Sligo drive.
    More to the point, what proportion of people who visit fast food outlets actually go to the trouble of getting in to a car to drive there ?
    And for people who live outside of Sligo, the retail park is certainly a preferable option to actually going inside the town with a car.
    The mostly empty car park at Carraroe proves you wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Few people "kit out a full house" from Argos all in one go. The Argos in places like Enniskillen, Athlone or Castlebar seem to be much busier than the one in Sligo because of location , location, location....the ones in places like Enniskillen, Athlone or Castlebar are centrally located, and easy for people to get to, even on foot or by car.

So what are you saying, that argos should shut up shop and go home because you don't like where it is? Like Xiney said, most people in Sligo driver, and there is adequate parking around the argos store
    In all the English towns that I know Argos is situtated in/near the town centre. *The only exceptions are the big "Argos Extra" stores which tend to be in retail parks. *In the North, Derry has 3 Argoses - 2 in the city centre and 1 (Argos Extra) on the Crescent Link development.

Ummm.... Sligo has an Argos Extra, and its outside of the city center. Whats your point?
    I agree with you there. Sligo must be the only gateway city in the western world to actually lose a McDonalds. The Carraroe one is usually even quieter than the town one ever was, but I heard the lease was up on the town one.

We lost it? OMG, have you looked behind the couch to see if its fallen down there! How did sligo lose a McDonalds when they have a driverthrough and a restaraunt in Carraroe? Again, as its been said to you more than once, by people that work in the retail park, it is a busy store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

More crucial in this whole argument: Where the hell do I bring the kids for cheap junk food now huh? HUH?

No I don't flippin' drive. Yet.

/Ignores car taunting her from the drive.

Sue, just buy a box of tesco value rip off magum ice cream lollies and head down to the benches by the river.

Big_Mac wrote: »
    So what are you saying, that argos should shut up shop and go home because you don't like where it is?

They can do whatever they want. The empty car park where they are speaks volumes, like out at Carraroe. The Argus in relatively central town locations like Enniskillen, Castlebar + Athlone seem to be busier, thats all.
    Big_Mac wrote: »
    its been said to you more than once, by people that work in the retail park, it is a busy store
    Have a look inside McDonalds yourself too soon so....its usually one of the quietest McDonalds around you will ever find. If Carraroe is that busy, why have half the shops closed / the car park mostly empty ?

The shops in Carraroe that closed were never really going to be viable though, jimmmy. Overpriced and (more importantly) hideous furniture x 6. Poor quality (by tilers' accounts anyway) tiles. A shop that sold christmas and hallowe'en decorations - this would depend largely on passing trade which was not accounted for by the retail park design.

The ones that are left are the ones that remain busy, clearly.

And for the final time Carraroe Retail park is not half way to Ballisodare!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59954512&postcount=10

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

The ones that are left are the ones that remain busy, clearly.

I think their continued prescence at this retail park is more down to Brand Prescence or Lease Arrangements, rather than it is to do with profitability.

Sometimes Multi Nationals have to swallow losses for the greater good of their brand image.

Harvey Norman is a prime example..they even admitted it themselves a few months ago, stating that entering the Irish market was a catastrophic mistake.

The mostly empty car park at Carraroe proves you wrong.

It's mostly empty from day 1 because it's frickin huge and never needed that much parking so it look pretty empty.

Where you in Homebase today jimmmy...the place was packed:D
    And a lady bought a €7000 kitchen...recession?

Couldn't you tell I was been sarcastic after having the argument about it in this thread?If not it was meant to be a sarcastic tone..:D

One cash register selling burgers @ 1 euro each is not going to pay off 2 million for anyone that quickly icon6.gif

It's not just €1 burgers that they sell. I've seen many people go in there with a family and spend easily €30-€40. How much do you think these meals cost to produce...million? No,more like pennies:)

It's not just one cash register that they have and the €2million wasn't invested in one till...furniture,kitchen,building,equipment?

It's not just €1 burgers that they sell. I've seen many people go in there with a family and spend easily €30-€40. How much do you think these meals cost to produce...million? No,more like pennies:)
    Pennies went out a long time ago. Most of the companies in that warehouse park in Carraroe ( who are left in business ) imay do their head office accounting in pennies and pounds but everyone else thinks in euro now.
    It's not just one cash register that they have and the €2million wasn't invested in one till...furniture,kitchen,building,equipment?

I know its not just one cash register that they have ...they have a few....but its such a quiet McDonalds ( as McDonalds go ) that they may as well just have one. Add up enough 4 euro happy meals ( whenever you see them there being bought, which is not all the time ) and you may get 30 or 40 euro...but sit in the restaurant often enough, watch how much they take in, how many staff they have to pay etc, give a guesstimate to their overheads ( rent / electricity, royalties , insurance etc ) and you can work out the profitability or otherwise of the place. icon6.gif

• Advertisement

More crucial in this whole argument: Where the hell do I bring the kids for cheap junk food now huh? HUH?

No I don't flippin' drive. Yet.

I have to agree its a great pity they are gone from Sligo...what sort of a town is it if it cannot support a McD or a Burgerking ? Maybe there is a lesson, maybe people should support the long established local or at least Irish owned businesses, rather than some multi-national controlled from overseas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

what sort of a town is it if it cannot support a McD or a Burgerking ?
    A wonderfull town!
    Just close the rest of the chain salt pushers now

ooh and
    what sort of people bring their children to eat this kind of rubbish!

"but they cry if i dont bring them"

Yer not their friend,
    yer their parent,
    say NO! and suck it up!:eek::eek::eek:

And no i dont have children (before someone askes)
    BUT I AM RIGHT!
    So that negates that argument! :D

But Elshambo I always make sure she has a healthy breakfast of coco pops and will often give her a Dairylea Lunchable, but now and then I want her to get some healthy food. RIP McDonalds..

Actually I fogot about the 4 lights. Sorted.

...They have lunchables here?

Oh god I thought that was a horrific North American atrocity on the nutrition of children. Odd that I haven't even seen them. I must have been blocking them out.

But Elshambo I always make sure she has a healthy breakfast of coco pops and will often give her a Dairylea Lunchable, but now and then I want her to get some healthy food. RIP McDonalds..

Actually I fogot about the 4 lights. Sorted.

What ever floats yer boat!
    enjoy explaining what "type 2" means too them when they are 13:eek:

elshambo wrote: »
    What ever floats yer boat!
    enjoy explaining what "type 2" means too them when they are 13:eek:

Gimme a break :p My girl has the healthiest diet possible (not a hope of crap cereal, or processed plastic lunches), but the occasional McDonalds before the cinema was a treat, and imo, no harm. The 4 Lights it is.

(She's in the kitchen now playing "Cafe". She is most distressed at the lack of herbal teas in stock. Only Peppermint Mama? (We just went to Centra and she had €2 to spend- she bought 80 tea bags :p Odd child!)

...They have lunchables here?

Oh god I thought that was a horrific North American atrocity on the nutrition of children. Odd that I haven't even seen them. I must have been blocking them out.

Kid now love Lunchables like we loved a "20p Mix-up". Same kick I guess. I must try a few of them E numbers - the kids seem to luv 'em.

Gimme a break :p My girl has the healthiest diet possible (not a hope of crap cereal, or processed plastic lunches), but the occasional McDonalds before the cinema was a treat, and imo, no harm. The 4 Lights it is.

(She's in the kitchen now playing "Cafe". She is most distressed at the lack of herbal teas in stock. Only Peppermint Mama? (We just went to Centra and she had €2 to spend- she bought 80 tea bags :p Odd child!)

Glad to hear it!;)

I want to punch the people i see stuffing crap into kids mouths on a daily basis and then they blame the goverment/schools/tv/food companies when their poor little lamb turns into a fat little cow:eek::p

BTW giving them the odd bit of crap food is very good for them:eek::rolleyes:
    you dont want her to turn into one of those kids who goes nuts everytime they touch sugar because their body aint used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

ook at Argus in Enniskillen, Athlone, Castle bar ; it works there because it is within walking distance of the town centre. And look at the shops in the warehouse estate in Carraroe ..if someone wants a small tin of paint or paintbrush for example, or ink for their computer, are they going to have to find a car, drive there, park, ( luckily the car park is always mostly empty there ) try to find what they want, and drive away again. There are alternatives, thankfully in terms of price as well as convenience, and environmental impact.

Funny you mention all the places with expansion on the out skirts, supermarkets and all!! ink for you computer you can get at cardridge world.

Now I agree that sligo is a sh*thole where you can buy fcuk all in the first place. The supermarkets that are very well stocked in your opinion are very badly stocked and over priced in mine. Enniskillen is even very badly stocked in my opnion but far better then sligo. The only thing keeping me sane is the internet and funnilly enough we get that send to Belcoo because that saves us almost half of the postage. Wasn't sligo not the only town that is not growing but even slinking! Keep up the small town mentality, thats why we can't buy a thing there in the first place.

We will be moving first change closer to a city. We were in Dublin for 4 days and a didn't miss sligo one moment. Sligo has potential if the small town mentality gets dropped if not it will continue to slink. Now this was the last I said about it, mate!

• Advertisement

sligo is a sh*thole where you can buy fcuk all in the first place.

easy there tiger... this is the Sligo board after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement