Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules of Engagement Events: The Jebrovian Conflict day 2 at HRTA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Night club H&S regs here state that strobes shouldn't be turned on for any more than 6 seconds at a time (IIRC from my DJ'ing days).

The effect is far more pronounced when it's dark (no other lighting sources present) than if there's ambient light already.

The effect is also less pronounced when the strobe is indirect.

Deco Nate's points are all quite valid, the complications of a player seizure in the game zone are pretty rough - there may not be anyone near the player at the time and there's potential for several minutes to pass before anyone knows anything about it. I wouldn't worry particularly about concussive injuries as, on the whole, HRTA is quite "soft", there's very little to hit your head off that would cause any significant injury.

The big difference though between using the strobe in a field and in a nightclub or similar is that the application will be very different - in a club, strobes are specifically designed to f*ck with your head, the light is contained in small space, there is no ambient light, and the distance from subject to light source is quite small.

In HRTA the effect would merely be to cause a periodic flickering among the buildings, akin to an explosive going off in the distance. It wouldn't be an intense strobe effect by any stretch of the imagination and it wouldn't be prolonged.

IMO if you can watch a war movie night time engagement in the cinema without any problems then the use of a strobe in game at HRTA is highly unlikely to cause any problems - but then I'm no doctor.

We'll have a look into it and a proper chat next wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

I've been to literally hundreds of raves where strobes were being used for hours at a time, all night in some cases. I never once saw anyone have a seisure from the lights. The chances of anyone having photosensitive epilepsy are very very remote. That's not to say that it's not something that should be considered from a health and safety point of view, but I'd say giving people the heads up that there will be flashing lights in much the same way as that little warning comes on the front of video games should suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Folks, just a heads up.

The games are about to get a whole lot more complicated in both physical mechanics and plotwise. Make use of your private forums to dicuss your options and your strategy before engaging at an event - the more you sweat in the forums the less you'll bleed in the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Another fantastic nights play.

I dont know the result, but I think we might have shaved the upper hand in the conflict..

A huge applause to our wonderful journalists tonight who added a great depth to the game, and it makes you appreciate what real troops go through, having to watch for enemy and for the safety of civillians was horrid, especially when they dont do what you tell them, well done :)

Fantastic game, and you lot who arn't there, don't know what your missing.

There is not a game in the country as fun as this, and we get it every two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

even playing as a journalist had great fun tonight hopefully get asked back :rolleyes: will be signing up in the morning. thanks for a good night hive. andy :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

yeh another great night's play the journo was a nice touch very good and well done apart from Andy please dont ask him back id rather the women reporters

i'd know idea when she was quizzin me at the start of the game i thought she was from the swords Gazzette lol

then i copped it and was like duh!!

any way cracking nite

everyone else that is to lazy to play on a wed nite needs to try this at least once there is milsim to be had people COME GET SOME!!!!!!!!!.........on the jerbrovien side of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Very well done to the journalists, they stayed in character the whole time.

Well done to the NATO mortar team too for some ludicrously unlikely successes; as Napoleon said, don't send me a good general, send me a lucky general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Thus has the superior performance of ACU been proven once again. No less than 4 Jebrovians were eliminated by ACU wearing forces who achieved complete surprise.

All it takes is good positioning (in the rear echelons) and cunning use of terrain (we constructed a rudimentary couch) combined with the correct method of attack (playing battleships at the enemy).

Thanks to everyone who turned out for the game, I will pass on the praise to adulation to Carla our NPC journalist.

Awesome stuff, ya' gits have given myself and Sean loads to work to do to figure things out for the next game. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sarsoft

Epic Fail on my part from start to finish last nite. I can't apologise enough.

Hanging my head in shame.:(

Sci-ops

• Advertisement

Dont worry about it, big boots to fill ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

Have just signed up to the forum, Cant see where to sign up for nato? Its probobly staring me in the face!!!

mcshape wrote: »
    Have just signed up to the forum, Cant see where to sign up for nato? Its probobly staring me in the face!!!

You need to PM "extremetaz" or "Hivemind" for access privileges to the NATO forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

You need to PM "extremetaz" or "Hivemind" for access privileges to the NATO forum.

Or join the better side, JNA.

op_valkyrie_prop_fin.jpg

Stay tuned folks, we have a real doozy of a game for you coming up. ;)

op_valkyrie-FIN-.gif

Get your mags loaded the night before this one lads, you'll be happy you did believe me ;)

Sorry guys but the weather forecast for this evening is just too dire - we're gonna have to cancel the game.

Weather reports are for heavy rain from about 4pm this evening - that coupled with the drainage in HRTA and the fact that the game would be mostly in the dark simply makes things too dangerous and we're not willing to take the risk of someone getting hurt.

The game will be postponed until either Wednesday fortnight or Sunday fortnight, depending on consensus on the proposed change of schedule.

Sincerest apologies,
    Seán & Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

balls.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Sorry guy's my inital reaction was a reflection on how much I was looking forward to this.

However I am an Irish Airsofter all year around, not just in the summer. For this I expect to play in the rain and wind. Some people might not like this but that is their choice, closing sites due to bad weather is not something that appeals to me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Thanks for the update Taz,

TBH I was looking at the weather and I totally agree with you here. I had my Gortex but it wouldnt be safe out there with that rain.

• Advertisement

fayer wrote: »
    Sorry guy's my inital reaction was a reflection on how much I was looking forward to this.

However I am an Irish Airsofter all year around, not just in the summer. For this I expect to play in the rain and wind. Some people might not like this but that is their choice, closing sites due to bad weather is not something that appeals to me personally.

Apologies Fayer,

As you know, we have run games in this sort of weather before - but never in the dark. The combination of the two coupled with the nature of the site just pushes the chance of someone getting hurt outside of our comfort zone.

A game is great 'n' all but I'd hate to feel responsible for someone damaging themselves.

There'll be plenty of other days to play - limbs ain't so easily come by.

As I've said on our forum as well, please propogate the game cancellation among yourselves to make sure that everyone gets the word - don't want people showing up for no reason.

Seán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Sad. But understandy.

Any chance of changing the title of this thread, by the way? I don't doubt day 2 was good, but let's stop living in the past!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Weather report live from Ballyboghil:

Dry and clear sky's!

Moral of the story, the never trust the weather man !

fayer wrote: »
    Weather report live from Ballyboghil:
    Dry and clear sky's!
    Moral of the story, the never trust the weather man !

That was always a risk - but it's still better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

it was a good call on the weather in the end, as steve said, it was sunny up till 18.10, then the heavens opened till 20.30, floods every were, at one point the water was just up to bottom of bridge 1 and 3, me and PK just sat in the cabin looking out, having our chips, oh who ever said that jetski looks out of place :D

Paul.

Its probably fr the best

I woulda got well too into it and start popping out of the river firing arrows through peoples heads.

On the other hand, the rain probably would have created just enough noise to cover movements, which would have made it very very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Mervenut

TheDoc wrote: »
    On the other hand, the rain probably would have created just enough noise to cover movements, which would have made it very very interesting.

That's the Doc, always thinkin' tactical!

Had my poncho packed and everything :(

Myself and Dwane spent the evening shooting plastic things in the back garden instead, not as fun but it took the edge off.

I reckon there's probably a bunch of people reading here who don't read on the RoE forum but there's a discussion there about moving the game to Sundays which nobody seems to have pointed out here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

Damn it, (note to self check ROE forum) I'll be honest, unemployment and location of residence has made RoE impossible for me to attend, and as a result I've stopped reading the forum because all it does is taunt me with how much fun it all sounds, however, if it were to be held on a Sunday, well that'd change everything. Gonna slide on over the forum and see what's up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement