Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why there are no top class Irish SF4 players

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I refuse to buy from play until they sort out that currency conversion bull****.

Oh and there's no good irish players because I was busy when all the tournaments were on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

animaX wrote: »
    Ever wonder why there are no world class Irish street fighter 4 players? Think i found out why:

Follow this link and change the currency to euro (top right of the screen):
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/8708569/Street-Fighter-IV-Premium-Xbox-360-FightStick-Arcade-Controller-Tournament-Edition/Product.html?cur=257

Is that the most ridiculous rate you've ever seen?!

No thanks, I bloody HATE joysticks. That's why I was never much cop at arcade games. Could never get used to joysticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh and there's no good irish players because I was busy when all the tournaments were on :)

Haha, nice one! I Think we'll have to stick with lower quality sticks for now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Stick-touting: the new way to screw over your fellow players.

... there must be some way to do this cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Because there's no point the Japanese pwn all.

• Advertisement

Ever heard of Tomo Ohira?

He played SF2 from WW to Super SF2 (quitting around SSF2Turbo), and by all accounts he could have whipped anyone.

Look up Tomo's pal Jeff Schaeffer whipping Daigo at Hyper SF2 (it's on youtube).

He PERFECTS Daigo.

And, by his own admission, Jeff almost never beats Tomo. So...

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

You could simply rename this thread why there are no top class Irish (insert game name here) players

A stick does not make a player (incidently I have that stick for PS3). A scene does. There is no Irish fighting scene therefore there is no really good Irish players. Generally speaking fighting game scenes are linked into the arcade scene of which there is none of in Ireland.

To be top class at any game yes you need good equipment to compete on an even playing field but you must also be (a) like the game (b) put in serious time and effort (c) have a decent selection of good quaility opponents to play against.

An online scene while better than nothing is still a poor option compared to arcade/meet ups as fighting games and lag are a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yep, pretty much agree with what Azza posted. This is a silly thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

There -could- be good players if there was a good enough scene in Ireland but It's sooo hard to become good at the game when there is no scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Ever wonder why there are no world class Irish street fighter 4 players? Think i found out why:

Follow this link and change the currency to euro (top right of the screen):
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/8708569/Street-Fighter-IV-Premium-Xbox-360-FightStick-Arcade-Controller-Tournament-Edition/Product.html?cur=257

Is that the most ridiculous rate you've ever seen?!

They are taken the absolute piss. €1.67 to the pound and central bank rate is €1.12. Has anyone emailed them to complain?

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Yep, pretty much agree with what Azza posted. This is a silly thread.

You're missing the point of the thread!! I was complaining about the sterling conversion rate on the tournament fight stick on play.com. The title of the thread was just a sarcastic remark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

You're missing the point of the thread!! I was complaining about the sterling conversion rate on the tournament fight stick on play.com. The title of the thread was just a sarcastic remark!

You obviously need to look elsewhere for a stick then....

How about this one?

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/hori_pro_arcade_ex_xbox_360.jpg

and yeah, the price for the stick in €'s is wayyy over the top.

I have a hori stick (EX2 i think, the Soul Calibur special edition) but am looking for another so I thought I'd check out the official madcatz ones. But wow! You could buy 3 xbox360's for the price of that stick, haha

You could get a custom stick made and shipped from the UK for around 150 quid, I'd say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You could get a custom stick made and shipped from the UK for around 150 quid, I'd say.

Do you have a link?

Sad thing is, the MadCatz TE has an RRP of under €200.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Do you have a link?

neoempire.com or shoryuken.com would be your best bet - there was a thread on neoempire a few weeks ago with a guy building sticks with a choice of sanwa or seimetsu buttons, around 150 quid.

animaX wrote:

Try to remember to use smilie faces then. Text on a message forum does not have a different tone of voice nor can I see you blinking when your typing up your message.

Only about 13% of boards.ie users are psychic! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I really don't get this thing for sticks?

I hate them... what can you do with sticks that you can't do with a controller?

Holsten wrote:
    I hate them... what can you do with sticks that you can't do with a controller?

Not suck! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Azza wrote: »
    You could simply rename this thread why there are no top class Irish (insert game name here) players

A stick does not make a player (incidently I have that stick for PS3). A scene does. There is no Irish fighting scene therefore there is no really good Irish players. Generally speaking fighting game scenes are linked into the arcade scene of which there is none of in Ireland.

To be top class at any game yes you need good equipment to compete on an even playing field but you must also be (a) like the game (b) put in serious time and effort (c) have a decent selection of good quaility opponents to play against.

An online scene while better than nothing is still a poor option compared to arcade/meet ups as fighting games and lag are a no no.

This^

All these tourney players you see are japanese and american cause theres was/is a thriving arcade scene there for years. (not so much in the US anymore from what I heard) Nothing in the EU came close, least of all Ireland (from my understanding, I only know SF through consoles)

In terms of an Irish scene, one thing that could potentially really boost that would be a feckin Fighting game section on Boards.ie god damn it. (click sig)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Retr0gamer wrote: »

XBox 360 // PS3

;)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    This^

All these tourney players you see are japanese and american cause theres was/is a thriving arcade scene there for years. (not so much in the US anymore from what I heard) Nothing in the EU came close, least of all Ireland (from my understanding, I only know SF through consoles)

In terms of an Irish scene, one thing that could potentially really boost that would be a feckin Fighting game section on Boards.ie god damn it. (click sig)

:)
    Actually holding a Street Fighter offline event would help, not a sub-forum on 'The-Only-Irish-Forum-On-The-Internet'.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Actually holding a Street Fighter offline event would help, not a sub-forum on 'The-Only-Irish-Forum-On-The-Internet'.
    We already had an off-line event the other Saturday in Dublin.
    Bet you didn't know about it, eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    We already had an off-line event the other Saturday in Dublin.
    Bet you didn't know about it, eh? ;)
    Ah, Kierkegaard-copy. Did Cunny-Funt organize this offline event the other Saturday in Dublin, which I'm assuming is the Xtreme Gaming Cafe tournament? If he didn't, then, your attempt to condescend fails and the wink smiley only reinforces the parody of your attempt, and my advice (post), to quit dedicating time to begging for a sub-forum and start dedicating time to organizing good events, stands as the former will generate interest in talking about fighting games and the latter, in attending events (e.g. boosting the "Irish scene").

On a side note, a vBulletin yearly license costs a meager €80, and hosting would be minimal. If you want the Irish scene to grow, why don't you two scrap together €40 each (Azza looks dedicated enough to pitch-in) and set-up a forum and main-page of your own? That's much more productive for the Irish scene than going cap-in-hand to administrators.

Bet you didn't know that, huh? ;)

Link? What parts, Sanwa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Fair enough then guess the pro evo/fifa section is even more useless , should be deleted so.

Half (if not a hell of a lot more) the people who are into SF4 on boards wouldnt have even been aware of the tourney KO mentioned. If there was a fighting game section they would have.

You football game players wanna have a tourney/ league it'd be posted in the pro evo/fifa section and all the football game fans here will know about it.

I really don't need to go on , you should get the point.

Starting some random obscure irish SF forum it'd take feckin years to reach the level of discussion the one single "SF4 count down thread" did. I dunno you sound really bitter to me for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Half (if not a hell of a lot more) the people who are into SF4 on boards wouldnt have even been aware of the tourney KO mentioned. If there was a fighting game section they would have.
    Yeah, I would have gone to it if I knew it was on. Was it even advertised anywhere?

There was a new thread made about it in Events & Tournaments > Competitive Gaming about 2/3 days before the event.

Granted, that's very little time, but the fact you don't know shows our want/need for a Boards.ie Fighting game section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Put up a post on the eSports.ie calendar but again, got very little notice about it...Plus it was impossible to get info thanks to a malfunctioning website, phone number AND e-mail address :)

🤪

Advertisement