Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why there are no top class Irish SF4 players

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Fair enough then guess the pro evo/fifa section is even more useless , should be deleted so.

Half (if not a hell of a lot more) the people who are into SF4 on boards wouldnt have even been aware of the tourney KO mentioned. If there was a fighting game section they would have.

You football game players wanna have a tourney/ league it'd be posted in the pro evo/fifa section and all the football game fans here will know about it.

I really don't need to go on , you should get the point.

Starting some random obscure irish SF forum it'd take feckin years to reach the level of discussion the one single "SF4 count down thread" did. I dunno you sound really bitter to me for some reason.

I don't think you understand my point. It's only common-sense that Boards.ie should have a Fighting-game sub-forum (personally, they can delete the PES/FIFA forum for all I care: naught but filled with 'I-used-to-love-PES' sheep), but why go cap-in-hand to administrators when it's extremely viable to just create your own forum? You'd have control over all the content, and events can be more publicized by front-page news on vBulletin than they would, hid away in a thread (the date of that tournament in the title was wrong: 4th April).

Nothing ever worthwhile is easy. Every forum started out as obscure. You have a subject of interest in competitive fighting games, a dedicated fanbase and most likely a monopoly on the Irish fighting-game scene. Hell, there's so much content out there for SFIV right now, you only need to know how to copy and paste to fill a front-page or forum with interesting videos and discussion.

That's much more productive to developing the Irish scene. I'm not bitter, just amazed people will go to such an amount of effort to achieve something so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    neoempire.com or shoryuken.com would be your best bet - there was a thread on neoempire a few weeks ago with a guy building sticks with a choice of sanwa or seimetsu buttons, around 150 quid.

All the custom builders are on a huge backlog at the moment. Talking months here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The thread I saw had no backlog, and quite new, so you might get lucky. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

animaX wrote: »

Is that the most ridiculous rate you've ever seen?!

It's actually just the PlayTrade merchant who is doing that conversion, not play.com. For example the game in question sells for 29.99 sterling or 38.99 euro, which is slightly more acceptable as far as conversion rates go.

And of course, it's always possible to pay more at your local shop if conversion rates aren't your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm willing to bet that some electronics engineer could knock together a decent arcade controller for a 10th of the Euro cost.

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/arcade-joystick-and-button-switches/cat_35.html?ccSID285e73f64c04744fc5f33ff68f529742=6fb7e40204c224188436c4dcfd06b9f3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

There's been no top players as there's been no scene. Da Bounca started the regular meetings originally with SCIV and this has created a lot of interest. I just hope it keeps going as it's a very entertaining genre to spectate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I'm not bitter, just amazed people will go to such an amount of effort to achieve something so small.

Okay I get yea. Fair enough points. Just on your last point there, personally theres not that much effort really, I started a thread and I post in it every few days - weeks. Versus what your talking about, personally, I just don't have the money time and frankly, responsibility to start my very own Irish fighting game/SF community from scratch.

I just think its utterly pathetic that theres no fighting game section on boards.ie when looking at the sections it DOES have, its mind blowing.

But im optimistic for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm willing to bet that some electronics engineer could knock together a decent arcade controller for a 10th of the Euro cost.

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/arcade-joystick-and-button-switches/cat_35.html?ccSID285e73f64c04744fc5f33ff68f529742=6fb7e40204c224188436c4dcfd06b9f3
    The closest you'll come to a cheap stick, from anybody, are Saulabi sticks which retail for about €35 (Korean); and they're not "true" arcade parts.

To understand why custom arcade sticks are so expensive, consider:
    The stick costs <€20 (for a Jap stick - Sanwa Denshi or Seimitsu).
    The buttons, add another €25.
    The PCB, that's another good €30-50.
    A custom wooden case, that takes a lot of sanding, painting, polishing.

At the end of the day, you're looking at a good €75-100 for electronics alone (and I can't even remember if this is w/shipping), then the case, which is usually handmade from wood, and putting it all together (which takes anywhere from 7 to XX days, depending on the builder's free time/skill).

In fact, at the end of the day, most of us builders sell these at a loss (if you were to factor in labour costs).

Advertisement