Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with Vista Home Premium Wireless

• 20-04-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, I've recently installed Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop (Fiujitsu Seimens Esprimo Mobile) and while it appears to be able to connect to my home wireless network I get the message 'Your computer has little or no connectivity' and I cannot access the internet. Would anyone have any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

nearly deffo an internal network card connection (NIC) rather then router connection.
    go to a DOS prompt, run ipconfig. if youre IP is 169.xx.xx.xx or 69.xx (cant remember but 69 is in the first number) it means youve connected to the laptops internal IP address of its NIC.
    run ipconfig /release or disable and reenable the network card. if it still doesnt connect, manually configure your wireless card to the router again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bookworm192398

I'll give it a go thanks.

OK I tried ipconfig release and I got the following two errors:

1. An error has occured while releasing interface wireless network connection: an address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.
    2. An error has occurred while releasing interface loopback pseudo-interface 1: The system cannot find the file specified.

Regarding the other two suggestions, how exactly do you enable/disable the wireless card or manually configure the card to the router? Is the latter where you go into properties for the card and type in an ip address as opposed to letting it find an address automatically? If so I've tried that and it didn't work.

An error has occurred while releasing interface loopback pseudo-interface
    yeah, this kind of convines me that thats what the issue was, you were connected to the loopback address.

If you think about it, youre router is waiting on connections to come into it and the DHCP will assign an address like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2

whether you connect with a cat 5 into the router or with youre wireless it should be the same thing but the cat5 should work. Once you get that address (verify by running ipconfig from dos prompt and look for the 192.168.1.x address) connect to the router to see are you definitely sending a signal. Set this to broadcast and turn off security, (once you connect you can turn it back on again.)

disconnect from CAT5, then check your wireless settings.
    on the keyboard you should see a hotkey with FN plus one of the F1-F5 buttons which will turn the wirelss on and off or in the wireless settings you should see a "turn on/off wireless hardware switch" or something to that effect.

Once youre on, see can you connect to the wireless. If on ok, apply all usual security settings with WEP and turning SSID to not broadcast but remember to note the security keys before clicking apply to security.

when its on

Hi, OK I've got the cat5 cable and I'm able to connect to the internet with it. I'm not sure what you're telling me to do here though.
    Quote:
    connect to the router to see are you definitely sending a signal. Set this to broadcast

Is this something I do through control panel or command prompt?

• Advertisement

ok, so youre on the internet with the cat5 so DHCP is working on the router.
    Can you get to the administration console of the router? Instructions should be in the routers manual. The address is usually 192.68.1.1 so jsut put that address in a browser, when you get on to the admin console, go to wireless settings and a lot of the settings are self-explanatory like "gen enrate keys" "broadcast SSID"

Once you connect to wireless first time, get on to the admin consle and disable the SSID broadcast. Its an extra security feature most routers have. If your laptop has the connection details, it'll still pick it up, but other wireless devices wont see it.

Advertisement