Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New screen for a Nokia

• 20-04-2009 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hey all, is there anywhere around Waterford I can get a replacement screen and buttons for a nokia N95 8gb? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Can't believe I'm beating Ziedth to this but there is a Nokia repair centre above/beside Hewden's in Stephen's street. If you ask in Hewden's they will point you in the right direction

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its right beside it. Small little door with a stairway leading to the repair center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Damn you,

The one bloody bussy afternoon I've had. :D

Ya Trotter just beside me here Mark is the lad upstairs who will look after ya. Be prepared though I'd say you'll be talking the bones of 70-100 quid for what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks! 100 quid for a tiny screen! God.. They're 7 quid on ebay. I just don't trust myself to do it.

Ya see there are three things I'd just point out with going with Ebay, I do a little work up in Nokia from time to time.

Those screens WOULD NOT be genuine Nokia parts, You can only get Genuine Parts off Nokia and they spen quite the fortune ensuring just that. so the quality would more then likely be ****.

If you open the phone yourself you will Void your Warranty. basically just means you'll have to pay for software updates and the like.

Changing and LCD is tricky out if you don't know what your doing so I honestly wouldn't reccommend it. However, If your not worried about your warranty and if you have engineering experience or what have you could give it a go.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    if you have engineering experience or what have you could give it a go.

Not a hope of me trying it to be honest. I got the phone free from a friend who was getting an iphone. Its scratched and worn. The screen itself is working fine, its just scratched on the exterior.

Trotter wrote: »
    Not a hope of me trying it to be honest. I got the phone free from a friend who was getting an iphone. Its scratched and worn. The screen itself is working fine, its just scratched on the exterior.

Oh I'm sorry if its working fine then its not actually an LCD you need its a Facia which are much much cheaper, What you might do is ask him to "Refurbish" your phone which basically means he'll take it off you clean and change everything which will basically make it as new. I wouldn't know the price off the top of my head but I'd say prob around €50.

Good luck with it anyway.

And if you want come in and buy a fax machine off me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks! 100 quid for a tiny screen! God.. They're 7 quid on ebay. I just don't trust myself to do it.

Unless they have gone down in price mega since i bought one for my friend about 2 months ago they are around €50 delivered?

Its a simple enough job BTW, I think someone on the mobile forum posted a tutorial ( might be imagining this :P )

If you slide the screen up you will see two screws on the back of the screen, then slide it to display the media buttons and you sill see two more. Unscrewing the 4 of them basically has you at the screen

EDIT: OOPS, I didnt see your replies either, i thought it was the screen :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A phone spring clean... sounds cool. Not covered under warranty I assume? Iv a scratch on my E71 (its the size of a dot) - unlikely he could get that off with a polish! Sound chap up there, though I cant say iv seen any "assistant" in there in a long time!

Sully wrote: »
    A phone spring clean... sounds cool. Not covered under warranty I assume? Iv a scratch on my E71 (its the size of a dot) - unlikely he could get that off with a polish! Sound chap up there, though I cant say iv seen any "assistant" in there in a long time!

Prob not but he'd change the chasing handy enough I'd imagine if it really bothered ya. Ah it was really only for like maybe 8 times a little while ago I have shaky hands so it wouldn't work out with me repairing phones its a nightmare to do TBH.

Edit: No def not under warranty budd.

• Advertisement

.Thanks a lot for the info. Its the clear plastic bit that needs replacing along with the buttons and outer casing. Considering its a free N95 , it might well be worth the 50 quid or so. Its very worn and scratched but the inside workings seem A1.. New firmware etc. I don't think cleaning the 'shell' will do the trick. It needs replacing. Would they put on proper Nokia bits and pieces? Thanks again for the tips, I'll drop in tomorrow.

Aye they will use offical parts for the model but sometimes need to order them in! :)

I don't think cleaning the 'shell' will do the trick
    Sully wrote: »
    unlikely he could get that off with a polish!

Sorry lads, I didn't get my point across there. A refurbishment isn't a polish or clean he'll replace all the outer casing then clean the inside like dust and the like, update the software and generally make it as new.

Anyway Trotter let me know how much it set you back out of interest, I'm too lazy to go upstairs and ask :D

All sorted butties... €50 for a the new covers I needed. It looks brand new now.

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement