Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfering info from one web form to another (c# ASP.Net)

Options
  • 20-04-2009 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

i'm doing a project in college at the moment. On one web form I have the user entering a number. I need to use this number in a different form and I can't work out how to do this, even after hours of googling :rolleyes::o

Can anybody out there help me?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you could achieve it by using sessions,

something like this may help http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178581.aspx

store the number entered by the user in a session, then when you need to use it again, retrieve the value from the session and input it where ever ya need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

If you are passing just an integer to another web form then I would suggest using the QueryString. Request.QueryString["whatever"].

Example:

Button Click Event on page calls:
    Response.Redirect("APageWithQueryString.aspx?MyPassedVal=123");

On your APageWithQueryString.aspx page you can retrieve the value using
    int myPassedInValue = Convert.ToInt32(Request.Querystring["MyPassedVal"]);

Note: MyPassedVal is the querystring field. 123 can be any string you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

you could also use a HTTPContext too. They have made it very unintuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

comer_97 wrote: »
    you could also use a HTTPContext too. They have made it very unintuitive.

What do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

John_Mc wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Do you mean how it is unintuitive or how to use a httpcontext?

HTTPContext stuff

As for it being unintuitive, why doesn't .net embrace the humble html form? It's worked well for years and works well, why change it?

Once .net gets to the presentation layer it is a shambles. It's use of css is terrible and trying to do anything clientside is really complex, unnecessarily so.

Hopefully XAML will change this but I've yet to use it professionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You can use CSSFriendly adapters, and the new MVC framework is pretty decent, doesn't rely on postbacks!

Still, there were some mistakes made initially, but they are trying to rectify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

why doesn't .net embrace the humble html form? It's worked well for years and works well, why change it?
    You can use HTML foms perfectly easily by just using the HTML controls instead of the Web Controls
    Once .net gets to the presentation layer it is a shambles. It's use of css is terrible and trying to do anything
    clientside is really complex, unnecessarily so.

You really have 3 different choices with .NET
    HTML Controls
    Web Forms
    MVC
    Each have their uses and misuses. But there is something for everyone and every type of site/application here
    Hopefully XAML will change this but I've yet to use it professionally.
    XAML's only use on the web is with Silverlight and adds nothing new to plain old HTML pages.

Advertisement